V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discovered today that I had a rear cam sprocket bolt sheared off. I was taking it apart to diagnose a strange noise and that is what I discovered. I suspected the noise was coming from the blower but now I'm not so sure. Have any of you ever seen this before? And if so did it make a noise like a high-pitch rattling noise?

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I have seen this you are running the blower on the right side correct?? Most times it was the blower hic-upped. check for leaks in the manifold, and the intake system.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HDWRENCH said:
I have seen this you are running the blower on the right side correct?? Most times it was the blower hic-upped. check for leaks in the manifold, and the intake system.
Yes I was running the blower on the right side. And yes it has backfired through the blower when starting on a few occasions.

It started making a high-pitch rattling sound which made me think a bearing was going out in the blower, so I decided to take the blower off until I have a chance to rebuild it. But when I was pulling the drive gear off I discovered the rear cam sprocket bolt was sheared. So it made me wonder if that might have been causing the noise. I can't think of any way it would cause the noise I heard, but I was hoping somebody here could tell me if they have experienced this type of failure and if so did it make a noise.

I don't plan to put the blower back on for now. I will decide later if I want to put it back on or sell it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
seem to me the first twin cams had bolt changes, something like first bolts didn't have a shoulder at the bolt head they were threaded all the way to the head and thats where they broke

1 - 4 of 4 Posts