V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a habit of messing with just about everything,,,,,rifles are not exempt. Actions must be trued and bedded, better triggers added and match grade barrels screwed on. Of course, standard calibers are OK but uninspired. A few of my favorite alternatives: .25/,284, 6.5mm/.270 Improved, .243 Ackley Improved. Any other tinkerers out there?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've "tinkered", as you say, with a number of wildcats shooting IHMSA (handgun silhouette). 7TCU, 7mm Gates, 7/308(this was before the 7/08) the 7mm International, 7mm International rimmed, 7BR(when it was a true wildcat) .357 Super Mag, 7SM...the list goes on. Almost everything was used for handgun silhouette. Had a lot of fun doing this back in the late 70's and during the 80's. Also make my own bullets..first cast bullets and now, for the past 12 years, making my own jacketed bullets with J-4 jackets and swagging them. I only make 7mm and .30 caliber jacketed bullets though. Enjoyed working with different cartridges over the years. ALvin

·
Registered
56 Posts
Forgot to add that a lot of enjoyment can be had by building match grade rifles and handguns. everything I have has been pillar bedded(four XP-100s and about a dozen rifles). Match grade barrels, Shilen or Jewel triggers(the Shilen triggers coming out now are not much compared to the old days--I prefer Jewel triggers now). I've also had a number of 1911's built with a friend of mine that used to be Les Baur's shop foreman. Matt Gish. Matt lives down the road about 15 miles and while he had his shop open, he build up a number of 1911's for me and taught me how to build them. (not that I'm worth a damn at it without him looking over my shoulder). Anyway, yes--love a good custom, accurate target rifle. I've been playing with AR-15s lately--now there's a kick in the pants!! Alvin

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I have a few BR rifles Panda actions, McMillian stocks and shillian barrels. Just for fun stuff am looking to buy a spas shotgun next

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep....I have 1 BR rig too.......6 PPC, Hall action, Hart barrel, Jewel Trigger, Six stock, 36X Luepold.......smithed by D. Scott (past winner of the Super Shoot).......fun stuff.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
wildcatters

ya me too,gotta bunch from 17 squirrel to 500 whisper,lots of 17s,17hornet,17 mach4,20 vartag,338-308,encore barrels in 416 rem,340 weatherby,to 17 hornet.plus class 3 fun stuff....a man can never have too many motorcycles or guns and a wife was one too many:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts