V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I see three flavors of aluminum finish on my superglide. The rough cast crankcase appears to be uncolored anodizing, most engine parts and covers have a clear plastic-like coating, and a few trim pieces are just bright uncoated aluminum. What can I do to restore the plastic coated aluminum parts? Once the coating is breached it sort of grows wormy looking corrosion under its surface. Looks like hell and seems to be growing. I've scratched some of it off but that just exposes more edge, which will corrode even more quickly I am sure. My first inclination is to ignore it and just enjoy the bike, but maybe there's a simple way to arrest or repair these spots. Any suggestions?

P.S. I'd rather buy gas than chrome covers.

Thanks!

Chilly

·
Registered
458 Posts
Theres no easy way. You will have to remove the clear coat then buff out the aluminum.
The way I've done it was sand off the clear coat and corrosion. Very fine sand paper cause you have to get it smooth again to look good. Then take rubbing compound, then polishing compound on a buffing wheel. Takes a while but looks as good as chrome when your done. It'll give you something to do this winter.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I've discovered a great product for cleaning corroded aluminum. It's called " Elbow Grease " .

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have always had great luck removing the old clear coat off of aluminum with spray zip strip...then you can polish and re coat with clear coat.

·
Registered
384 Posts
My coatings were gone long ago if I even had them.
I've used many different products over the years and by accident found that the 3M Marine Aluminum Polish works the easiest. It does say not to use on anodized parts,but I use it everywhere. Least amount of elbow grease on anything I've tried. Turns a cloth black in no time. Like they say try them in a place you can't see well first.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Did my Sporty couple of years ago, came up a treat , took a LONG TiME tho! Used paint stripper , careful not to get it anywhere else, to remove the varnish, then a number of aluminum polishing products, remember you have to get the lacquer off first ,

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts