V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife just got me fairing mount mirrors for my 05 FLHTI. Unsure if I want to tackle it, or just take it to the dealer. I'm assuming you have to pull the fairing apart. Any comments? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
ditto...take you about 45 minutes and 3 beers

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
When you put the fairing back on start the bottom two bolts first and work your way up. Don't tighten any of them until they are all started.

Guess I work slow. It took an hour and a six pack for me. :beer4u:

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Make sure you move the template out about 1/2" from where its suppose to be or you'll end up looking at your hands. Other then that I love mine!

·
'PACKMAN'
240 Posts
template

Be real careful to follow the very little arrow and dotted line to mark for the holes. The template I received did not have the holes popped out on it, and the markings were definitely in the wrong place. Nothing like drilling on a Harley.........and missing the mark.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I believe there is a 'service bulletin' concerning the 'fairing mount mirror template'. Some of the templates were made incorrectly and allowed the mirrors to be mounted too low.....I'd be cautious until I found if I have the newer template............Whole bunch of Street Glides came with mirrors mounted too low and the inner fairing had to be replaced.

·
Registered
46 Posts
outer fairing removal

Be sure to put a pair of old socks on your passing lamps to avoid any scratches as the fairing kinda rubs the lites when you pull it off.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
05 Ultra said:
Make sure you move the template out about 1/2" from where its suppose to be or you'll end up looking at your hands. Other then that I love mine!
I've got a set ordered. By "out", do you mean away from the center of the bike?

Teu

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
05 Ultra said:
Agree with 05Ultra 100% on this one. Got the same recommendation before I put mine on. I love 'em but, the old saying of "measure twice, cut once" sure applys here.

Skyfuzz and Teufelhunden when I say move 'em 1/2" from the position HD says to drill the holes I'm talking toward the outward edge of the fairing. When 05Ultra also indicated moving it 1/2" I'm positive he means the same.

o~\o

1 - 12 of 12 Posts