V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got any timing tips, just switched to Crane single fire, can't see the timing mark thru the plastic plug, got it close, had the pipes glowing a couple of times, so I wanna rectify this. Any way to mark the timing mark with poaint etc. or alternate timing methods.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
mtnxtreme said:
Anybody got any timing tips, just switched to Crane single fire, can't see the timing mark thru the plastic plug, got it close, had the pipes glowing a couple of times, so I wanna rectify this. Any way to mark the timing mark with poaint etc. or alternate timing methods.

I never use the timing plug. I get the timing close and then go for a ride with the necessary tools available so I can stop and change timing on the test ride. Bottom line is to have the bike so that it starts without kickback and will not ping under hard acceleration from about 30 mph in high gear. That's about it for a Shovelhead. Been doing that for a long, long time and it works for me.

Your Crane unit should have some sort of initial timing point set forth in the instructions.

I have a Spyke single fire and the only thing you would need the tming plug and flywheel mark for would be to find TDC which I do with the plugs removed and a piece of aluminum welding rod in the front plug hole on the compression stroke (both pushrods down) to locate the piston.

If you remove the timing plug all of the time on a Shovelhead, you will eventually wear the thread out (5/8-18) and have to weld the case up and re-drill, re-thread. Don't ask me how I know this. :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
loose the plug it makes a mess but you can see it faster if you have help or with the HI you could static time it and call it good

1 - 3 of 3 Posts