V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a novice I have been riding my bike alot gaining experience on the road. My question is when I'm changing to a higher speed sometimes my boot while trying to change speed bumps it and kicks it down a speed instead of up. I have done this a few times on the highway. Any suggestions?? Or am I just plain clumsy???

Cheri aka Medicine Woman:)

·
Premium Member
2,334 Posts
Question......do you rest your foot on top of the shifter? I usually ride with my boot underneath it or to the side.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Might want to adjust the shifter peg so there is more rrom between it and the footpeg so there's plenty of room for your boot to go in between- sometimes when these are set up they make them a bit tight.

·
Premium Member
2,334 Posts
Thanks for mentioning that Strick9. I forgot to. I did have mine adjusted up a bit. Wish it could have been more but it's sure better than it was.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the great advise. When I think of it I rest my foot on the foot peg so when I go to shift either up or down I hit the gear shifter and it knocks it into a gear usually I don't want to be in. Come to think of it the foot peg and gear shifter are awful close. So the gear shifter can be adjusted or moved farther away from the foot peg??? I guess that would be my next question.

Cheri aka Medicine Woman

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Yep, the shifter peg is easily adjusted. Remove the bolt that "clamps" the shifter arm to the shaft. Notice the splines on the shaft. With the shifter removed, rotate it a bit to the desired location. Reinstall shifter and check for fit. Readjust as necessary. Place small drop of blue lock tight on bolt, tighten to specs. There you go, Cheri.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Tim- I rode last night it was beautiful out 70 degrees a full moon it was great except for I have been having a reacurring problem the bike will just stall like it is out of gas. Happen a few times already I can be in 3rd gear and it will act like it is all of a sudden out of gas and just die. I finally had it last night when it stalled 3 blocks from home. Ruined my night of riding. Had to be pushed home. I've been calling up the dealer to send the manuel (it was'nt in the bike) it will be hand delivered tonight (rigghhhttt) this has been going on for several weeks. So this morning when I called I was pissed!! Any suggestions?? Thanks for letting me vent.

Cheri aka Medicine Woman

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Cheri,

Try your question in one of the "tech" threads. It's buried now in a thread about a shifter issue.

Add info about your bike (age, year, model), whether bike will restart, how long after it dies does it take to restart, what have your checked, bla bla. That kinda of stuff. That info will help the techies come up with some ideas or explanations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts