V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual doesnt show much in detail on this topic. I dont think I should have to take out the headlight and unplug the tip plug. No wires are going through the fender that I can see. Theres just the 4 bolts (2 on each side). However, those bolts are set in that darn brace that has those locking tabs or whatever. I cant see how I can bend them back. I tried.. Any tips?

Also, what size and type of tool should I use for the 2 bolts on the calipers?
Thanks

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
You have to bend the tabs back. Use a small flat blade screwdriver to pry them back. Its not difficult. I forget the size, but it is a 12 point socket for the caliper bolts.

YB

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Calipers are 10mm 12-point socket.

Im pretty sure you have to remove your front wheel. I tried to remove the fender without doing it, and it was a no go. I have a classic, so I had no wire for the fender tip light. RK's have a hol ein the fender for the tip light. It SHOULD be ran through it. But to remove the fender, you would have to unplug it somehere....

I used a screwdriver to bend the tabs back.

You have to remove the calipers first. Tie-wrap them to the crash bar. Don't let them hang by the brakeline. When you remove the fender bolts, the fender slides down and out along the forks.

Getting the calpiers back on are a bitch... get some blue painters tape to protect the fender. They are a tight fit, getting them back on.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Also, H-D recommends that you replace the lock tabs - about $1 each.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.. Back at it again then...

·
Registered
165 Posts
You can bend the lock tabs on the bolts up using a long screwdriver from the oposite side through the wheel, but it is a pain, and you run the risk of scratching or bending something. The easiest way is to just take the wheel off.

Calipers remove with a 10mm 12 point socket. Be sure and tie them back to the crash bar.

To get the calipers back on easily, insert a flat blade screwdriver between the pads and GENTLY rock it back and forth to compress the caliper piston and spread the pads. They should then just slip back over the disc. Remember to put a little anti-sieze on the caliper bolts when you reinstall.

Regards,

Bill

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
You can bend the lock tabs on the bolts up using a long screwdriver from the oposite side through the wheel, but it is a pain, and you run the risk of scratching or bending something. The easiest way is to just take the wheel off.
This is good advice. I've done it both ways and it's easier to just remove the front wheel. First time I did it was before I had my service manual and I left the wheel on. Can be done but you'll save time and energy by removing the wheel.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be driving the King around with no front fender for awhile until my new one comes in. I couldnt wait to start on the project. It's gonna be the laugh :)ntlgh: )of the day at Bike week. Ha

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
BadTwin said:
I'll be driving the King around with no front fender for awhile until my new one comes in. I couldnt wait to start on the project. It's gonna be the laugh :)ntlgh: )of the day at Bike week. Ha
Sh!t, I rode bike w/ no front fenders or brakes for that matter for years!!! Bitch if it rains:hystria: :dunno:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts