V-Twin Forum banner

Any probloms I should be aware of for 2003?

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  harleygirl64 
#1 ·
Ok, Harleys have been out for years and years, what have they not got right yet:eek: Is there any thing that the bikes have probloms with that the factory has not made right over the years yet? Is cooling a issue? Is leaking oil a issue? I think you guys know what I am asking here:) Give me your opinions.

#3 ·
Thank you MOS:) Don't get me wrong here but I just can't believe that 51 people have viewed this thread but just you have posted;) So 51 people think that Harley has got every thing right. So Harley has got every thing right on there bikes, no little qwerks, no little rattels that should have been fixed, hell look at the Goldwings, who would ever thought that some bikes would have a cooling problom, I am greatfull that someone responded;) Hell, I guess Harley has the perfect bike then;)

#4 ·
Sorry for the lack of posts, but what MOS said is true. Although we all have complaints about some aspect of the "H-D" experience, it's generally not about the motorcycle. Negative dealer experiences, poor service, and the high cost of parts & accessories are the main issues. Although no motorcycle is perfect, I have to admit that it's sure close.......... Let me know how you feel after the first ride on your new scoot. :D

Ride Safe

#5 · (Edited)
The only thing I have found not right is the lack of communication from the dealers and MoCo.:mad: The bike I love, there's noise here and there but hey, I'm sitting on top of an engine. Try riding inside your engine compartment sometime. As far as the bike, '00 FXSTB, no issues. I keep changing the oil and she keep running.:) Problems with the '03 2-tone Ultra, I don't know when and if it will be built now?

#6 ·
Bought my 2002 Ultra Classic back in April. 7,000 miles on her now and no problems at all. Is it the perfect bike? It is for me. ;)
If "we" indicates you and your significant other will be riding together, give the Electra Glide some real serious consideration. ;)

#7 ·
Yes, "we" does mean my lovely and splendid wife;) On a scale of 10, I think "we" are at a 7 on the Electra Glide Classic:) There is times that I would like to hear the radio instead of the wife:eek:

#8 ·
I have owned a 2003 Road King(Gunmetal) for 1 month and love it. I put all the chrome and the stage 1 conversion-slash down pipes on the bike and am very impressed. I wonder if I will ever recieve my Gold Key from Harley Davidson? I was told by the dealor that it may take up to 6 weeks. Hahahaha. I am just happy that I have been able to ride before winter hits here in Wisconsin. The Road King Rules Markuda...

#9 ·
Sofrgenious, dang you, you are not making this thing any easyer for me to decide on what bike;) The Road King looks killer to me, I was going to put on a back rest, Mustang seat, lugage rack and some chrome, now, the more you rub it in, I am now realy going crazy:eek: If I had to deside right now, I would have to flip a coin but "we" have a nother month to make up our minds. I use to live up in Eau Claire for 18 years, loved the country, doun here, all we have is corn;)

#11 ·
Well, sometimes you don't want to ruin another guys fun.

Truth be told the touring bikes are pure pleasure when they have no issues. With Harley it seems to be a lottery, if you get lucky you'll be happy as a pig in mud, but there are a significant number of bikes that have issues and the dealer network and warranty are pretty useless if you do.
It seems that if the bike has no major issues and it never sets foot in a dealership it will be OK for the most part, but god help you if they have to troubleshoot some sort of elusive problem, they are just as likely to create more problems as to solve the original one.

Don't get me wrong, I love the bikes but I'm getting a little tired of this stuff. In their defense one can say that low mileage riders have significantly less problems.
If potential problems are a factor, in the long run a carbureted RoadKing might be the way to go, the Kings are significantly simpler bikes then the other touring bikes.
The top of the line bikes are very nice, but they become like a Cadillac after a few years, a white elephant hanging around your neck unless you can repair them yourself.

#12 ·
Any problems...

I have a ’02 FLHTCI that I love but don’t like a fuel injection stumble that H-D has never been able to sort out. Dealer has tried hard; it’s been in five times for repair. Repairs have greatly reduced the frequency of the stumble at take-off but not eliminated it completely.

Would it stop me from buying another Harley or recommending one? No, but I think HIPPO sums it up quite nicely.

#13 ·
Hippo Hit it on the head... I have a 97 Ultra Fuelie that I could not be more pleased with. 5 years of hard riding and I do all my own maintenance and Power Commander II tinkering.
I am almost afraid of even thinking about owning a new one with having to deal with the lottery again!!

#14 ·
03 FLHTCI

Markcuda,
I took delievery of my 03 FLHTCI on Aug. 23rd, 1100 + miles on it already, not a hint of a problem, runs like I hoped it would. After 13 + yrs riding a FXSTS, I was ready for a more comfortable ride (so was my wife). This bike is exactly what I'd hoped it would be when I ordered it, back in Apr. 0f 99. Now all I gotta do is drop in a big bore kit and get rid of the wimpy sounding exhaust. Any suggestions? I had ordered the Gunmetal pearl paint job, but after seeing the two tone Silver over Vivid Black, I had to change my mind, cost more but looks killer! My suggestion to you is to find a shop that you trust to do the work. Look around and ask your riding buddies about different shops, also talk to the shop managers, some of them are wiz's and some are not to sharp.
Good luck with your new ride,
RydesAHog

Harley's don't leak oil, they anoint the ground!

#15 ·
Markcuda, I also have a new road king (june, 02) with over 10k miles. Absolutely love it. The only issues i have are more like basic design issues, i.e. more power would be nice, brakes could be better, abs would be appreciated, that sort of thing. Obviously, these were all known by me before i bought.

Harley's aren't perfect by any stretch, but neither is any bike. I have a BMW R1100RT which is faster, handles better, has abs and much better brakes, heated grips, blablablabla. I haven't ridden it since I got the king.

greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.