V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be able to run a 2000 and newer wheel on my pre 99 provided I maintain the correct tire size right?? The newer wheels use the sealed bearing and the pre 99 utilizes the Tapered with seals. Both run 3/4 axles except on some touring rigs, so as long as I am replacing the entire wheel I should be good right? I want to replace my rear wheel on my 98 running the stock 130/16 wheel, with a fatboy 2000 wheel also running a 130/16 but with the new sealed bearings.

·
Registered
26 Posts
axle spacers and shimming may need to be done as the sealed bearings and tapered bearings have differences to outer fitments to spacers. Just make sure the hub is the same offset. As If one wheel might look the same it might be off by as little as 1/16 and this will cause the belt over time to bind, or shorten the belts life. Just to keep in mind is all. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Biker_unknown said:
axle spacers and shimming may need to be done as the sealed bearings and tapered bearings have differences to outer fitments to spacers. Just make sure the hub is the same offset. As If one wheel might look the same it might be off by as little as 1/16 and this will cause the belt over time to bind, or shorten the belts life. Just to keep in mind is all. Good luck.

Thanks alot, I did consider the spacers but never a slight offset! I think I will stick with the pre 99 design. Harder to find a simple pre 99 fat boy or similar wheel even on Ebay for a reasonable price and in good condition.

Rick

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check around your local HD stores. Some time people that buy the big expensive wheels want to sell theres and they do use the forums like we do. You might be able to pick up a set of stock wheels pretty cheap from the local dealer. Ya I know "cheap" and "local dealer" don't belong in the same sentance, but you never know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.