V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i am going to try and start my street glide project finally tonight. its a brand new 88 with 0 miles that i put 95 pistons and 211 cam in. is there anything special i need to do before firing it up? it has new fluids all the way around and it turns over good. a friend told me to turn it over for about a minute until the oil light goes off to make sure the oil pump and everything is primed before acutally starting it is the true? 60 seconds is a long time to just sit there cranking the motor i dont even know if my battery will last haha any advise will help this has been a long time coming. i will update my street glide build thread tonight hopefully with the added post of it being a runner wish me luck thanks all

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Turn it over with the sparkplugs out

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if i turn it over with the spark plugs out will it build up enough pressure to cycle the oil? if so that will let it turn over freely so less stress on the battery

·
Registered
418 Posts
it will prime everything with the spark plugs out, then put them in and fire it up.

if it doesn't fire, try switching the plug wires. ask me how i know.

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Pulling the spark plugs will eliminate the ability of the engine to build compression and allow it to turn freely without load on your battery or starter. Compression has nothing to do with the oil pump building pressure.
Congratulations on finishing the build.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys i will pull the plugs and turn it over do you know if the oil light will go off when its fully primed like my friend suggested?

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
The oil light will go out as soon as it primes and builds pressure, I believe it only takes something like 3 lbs for the light to go off.
Some motors will prime very quickly while some take longer.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I took the spark plugs out and have been turning the bike over until the battery dies (usually about 40 seconds to a minute) and the oil light has still not turned off. Ive done this three times now. Is there a way to check and see if oil is going through? The light has to turn off right?

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
Is it possible you didn't assemble the pump correctly.....

wide gerotors first, then a plate, then wave washer, then another plate, then narrow gerotors.

·
Gearhead
1,114 Posts
If you want to visually check for oil pull a pushrod out and look for oil comming up through the lifter.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Pull the oil filter or an easier way is to pull the oil sending unit and see if it is pushing oil out there. Three times at 40 seconds is nothing to be alarmed about, I have seen it take longer than that, removing the dipstick seems to help at times.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ok I took the spark plugs out and have been turning the bike over until the battery dies (usually about 40 seconds to a minute) and the oil light has still not turned off. Ive done this three times now. Is there a way to check and see if oil is going through? The light has to turn off right?
If the battery is only lasting 40 secs with no plugs in, I would say you need a new battery and that the motor is not spinning fast enough to pickup pressure.

If nothing else hook up a charger with a start booster to spin the motor faster.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pull the oil filter or an easier way is to pull the oil sending unit and see if it is pushing oil out there. Three times at 40 seconds is nothing to be alarmed about, I have seen it take longer than that, removing the dipstick seems to help at times.
i will try that tonight when i get home so just remove it and turn the motor over to see if oil is circulating?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If the battery is only lasting 40 secs with no plugs in, I would say you need a new battery and that the motor is not spinning fast enough to pickup pressure.

If nothing else hook up a charger with a start booster to spin the motor faster.
its a brand new harley battery. the first time it lasted longer than a minute before it died but i dont think i am giving it enough time on the trickle charger before trying again.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
its a brand new harley battery. the first time it lasted longer than a minute before it died but i dont think i am giving it enough time on the trickle charger before trying again.
You just mentioned the magic word, "trickle charger" it's going to take a long time to charge the battery up on a trickle charger. I'd hook up a regular charger to get the battery to where it should be.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
got it to fire up real quick then it died. thats enough for me until i get some kind of tuner. as it is right now the computer thinks its a stock 88 so i dont want to run a new 95 with 211 cams off of that during break in.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ok. I figure out why It kept dying. I had to reset the security password and it fired up. But it was knocking pretty loud and had 0 oil pressure so I shut it back off. Tried priming it again and then pulled one of the rocker box covers off and there was no oil up there. I cracked the oil filter and oil started to drip out. So does that mean my oil pump is bad? If the oil pump isn't working would oil still get into the oil filter?

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
At this point I would say you have one of two things going on, either you have the oil pump capped with the spacer washer or your camplate relief plunger is stuck.
The oil pump goes together as follows looking down into it as a cup.
thick gerator gears, thick steel washer, wavy washer, thick steel washer then thin gerators installed last.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts