V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, i have some of the 6R12 H-D plugs. Surely Bosch, Autolite, Champion, etc. has a comparable plug I can use and not pay the extra cost because plug says H-D on it. I'll even try Splitfire plugs if I have to. Any of you folks know of substitute plugs I can use? Thanx...

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Splitfire? I call them Shitfire.

I use NGK's or Autolite's.
I also use colder heatrange plugs, DPR9EA9 NGK or DP4162 Autolite, but that is a decision you have to make. The equivalents for the stock HD plugs are DPR7EA9 and DP4164. There also are in between plugs 8's and 63's but they are hard to find.
The reason I hate HD plugs isn't price, but they are Champion's and they have a habit of tearing up threads in the heads. The NGK's are the best in this respect because the threads are rolled and their coating is very good.

Some Delphi bikes will set codes with some spark plugs, and will definitely set codes if you change plug wires.

If you are building a really hot engine you can use the Denso Iridium IXU22's, but they are not cheap.

Hint, the 9NGK is a GoldWing plug, LOL.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you fellows for helping a newbie out(riding a year with 19K miles on bike). I've just started doing the minor stuff on the bike and don't want to give H-D any more money than I have to. I knew they didn't make the own plugs just like they don't make their own oil, shocks, tires, etc.

Hhhhhmmmmm, wonder how they weren't able to talk Dunlop into not putting their name on the officlal recommended H-D tires? Me, I'm running Avons for now and when they finally wear out, I'll go to either same or Michelin, etc.

Update: Just got back from Auto Zone & they ordered the NGK & I pick up tomorrow - $3.37($1.59 each + tax) for same style plugs H-D charges $5+ for. Autolites were $1.19 each.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just put the AUTOLITE Platinum plugs in my scoot...bought the plugs from HD.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HDSk8man said:
I just put the AUTOLITE Platinum plugs in my scoot...bought the plugs from HD.
Are you talking about the h-d Platinums that run $15 a set? Or just regular old Autolite Platinum plugs?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Denso Iridium Plugs

Been running the Denso Iridium plugs for about 9k and was wondering if anyone else has run these? Denso Mfg states 30k for the plugs, but I am use to replacing them at 10k. Anyone run these past 10k yet, and if so have you see any degrade in performance? At $15 bucks a pop, you should get a little better duriability out of a set of plugs I would think????

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Why would anyone spend $30 for two spark plugs?? It's not like they will make your motor run any better.

Doesn't it make more sense to spend the $30 on five sets of normal plugs & change them a little more frequently?? ;-)

-John

·
Registered
401 Posts
jmorton10 said:
Why would anyone spend $30 for two spark plugs?? It's not like they will make your motor run any better.

Doesn't it make more sense to spend the $30 on five sets of normal plugs & change them a little more frequently?? ;-)

-John
Look, just asking for a little info here, not judgement, why buy a Harley, can't you just buy three Hondas and just throw them away when done LOL

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
>>>why buy a Harley, can't you just buy three Hondas and just throw them away when done LOL

LOL, the problem is there is a big difference in enjoyement between riding a Honda & riding a Harley, there is no discernable diif at all between using a $15 sparkplug & a $3 one(if there was, we would all be using them)

I have a small motorhome with a hightly modified(by me)big block Ford motor. It is a total MF to change the plugs in. In that case it made perfect sense to me to use platinum plugs in it because I am hoping to not change them again for a LONG time. It makes no sense in a Harley however, but hey if you want to spend $30 on plugs, go ahead if it makes you feel good..

-John

·
Registered
401 Posts
jmorton10 said:
>>>why buy a Harley, can't you just buy three Hondas and just throw them away when done LOL

LOL, the problem is there is a big difference in enjoyement between riding a Honda & riding a Harley, there is no discernable diif at all between using a $15 sparkplug & a $3 one(if there was, we would all be using them)

I have a small motorhome with a hightly modified(by me)big block Ford motor. It is a total MF to change the plugs in. In that case it made perfect sense to me to use platinum plugs in it because I am hoping to not change them again for a LONG time. It makes no sense in a Harley however, but hey if you want to spend $30 on plugs, go ahead if it makes you feel good..

-John
Only reason I am using the Iridium was to see if I could go past the 10k mark on plug replacement, in other words get more for miles for the buck, not just to spend money.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Performance

jmorton10 said:

-John
Not true. In modified motors with more compression a better plug works better. I get 20 to 30 hours out of Normal NGK's in my modified jetski. I have 70 hours on my Denso Iridium plugs. I also have a Banshee 4 wheeler that must use 100 plus octain, I have yet to foul the Denso Iridum plug. My Harley will get the Denso Iridium plug this year when I am done with the 95 inch build with a gear drive cams.

I would think 30,000 plus miles out of the Denso Iridium plugs should be no problem. They are good for 100,000 miles or more in a car.

Why would several High peromance cars use Denso Iridium plugs stock? I know what they cost compaired to a normal plug. I work at the plant that makes the Denso Iridium plugs, it cost less than a dollar to make a normal plug, it cost more than 8 dollars to make an Iridium plug, we make less money on the Iridium plugs.

·
Registered
401 Posts
FLSTFI Dave said:
Not true. In modified motors with more compression a better plug works better. I get 20 to 30 hours out of Normal NGK's in my modified jetski. I have 70 hours on my Denso Iridium plugs. I also have a Banshee 4 wheeler that must use 100 plus octain, I have yet to foul the Denso Iridum plug. My Harley will get the Denso Iridium plug this year when I am done with the 95 inch build with a gear drive cams.

I would think 30,000 plus miles out of the Denso Iridium plugs should be no problem. They are good for 100,000 miles or more in a car.

Why would several High peromance cars use Denso Iridium plugs stock? I know what they cost compaired to a normal plug. I work at the plant that makes the Denso Iridium plugs, it cost less than a dollar to make a normal plug, it cost more than 8 dollars to make an Iridium plug, we make less money on the Iridium plugs.

Dave,
thanks for the insights, bout 9k so far on the Denso Iridium in my 2001 FLSTCI and will check them at 10k then run them some more. So far no problems what so ever where my HD normal plugs would have been shot by now.
Tom

·
Registered
344 Posts
FLSTFI Dave said:

How does an Iridium plug work better?

I agree that they probably last longer, but I don't think they really work better.

Can you use a larger gap because they are more efficient? If the answer is yes than I could see that they could produce more spark with the same coil voltage.

IMHO I like to use regular plugs and change them at regular intervals. It gives me an excuse to pull the plugs to make sure everything is working properly. If I had a plug that was supposed to last an extended period of time I probably wouldn't check them as much.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Hey Dave

I think you need to do some product testing, say with VTF members maybe? I'll be happy to file regular reports :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
cwo2lt said:
Hey Dave

I think you need to do some product testing, say with VTF members maybe? I'll be happy to file regular reports :D

CWO2, a Coastie, do we have a coastie with us LOL. USN here, glad to have you aboard.

Tom

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
navyharley said:
CWO2, a Coastie, do we have a coastie with us LOL. USN here, glad to have you aboard.

Tom
Ummm Tom, we've had this conversation before. Are you getting CRS?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts