V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a 06 Ultra and want to upgrade the frt and rr speakers.I was curious if anyone has done this Oem or aftermarket(marine of course)I pulled one of them and they are made in China and not the best sound quality,the head unit is great,though.....Thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
I put hogtunes on mine, it's the only way to go. If you have any questions just call Pez, he will help with any questions you might have. The site posted above should have his toll free number on it.
Clap

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
hog tunes rock

I put a set of hog tunes in the fairing this summer you wont believe the difference. I would like to add the tour pack pair this year.

·
Registered
659 Posts
speakers

yep - hog tunes are the way to go. Met PEZ at a rally this year, he snapped them in front and rear in 45 minutes or so - sound is excellent at all speeds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for all the inputs.I also found out from their web site that the advanced system speakers will be out in March 06.I am looking forward to then.Merry Christmas everyone I am gonna sit in the basement withthe scoot till nice weather comes,with a few brewkies of course.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hog tunes or Hawg wired, both have good speakers. I looking to upgrade also after the first of the year on mu 06 Ultra.

·
Registered
967 Posts
You guessed it....Hogtunes. Great service. I had a pair go bad on me, they were replaced very quickly with no hassle. I was going to install rear speakers on my EG Classic, but decided the front ones rock just fine! Easy install, one hour or three beers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for all the kind words you guys! mavrick--MAKE SURE you get 2 ohm speakers no matter which brand you go with. 4 ohm speakers will not play as loud based on the way the 06 radio is set up!

Happy Holidays everyone!

PEZ www.hogtunes.com

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
I upgraded my 02 ultra with 200w Pioneers from walmart. Total cost was less than $100 and did the work myself......it was fairly straight forward. My buddy did his ultra with H-D stuff and cost was near $200 for parts and another $112 for the labor and his does not sound anywhere near as loud and clear as mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pez

Thanks for the information! But I believe I will wait until the Hogtunes for the 06 (2 ohm) comes out in March before I make a final decision. Like I said have heard good things about both here and the CVO site. You would think as much as we paid for the CVO the speakers would be better, but not so. Waiting to see what you come out with.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
mavrick said:
You would think as much as we paid for the CVO the speakers would be better, but not so. Waiting to see what you come out with.
Thanks again.
For as much as those thangs cost, you'd also figure that they wouldn't have to be staged one(d) and a SERT installed to run decently either. Seems to me the extra cash on the CVO's goes for the paint jobs and all the little billet accessories that come on it. Not even a railing around the
saddlebags.......and when I wuz looking to buy one a year ago, they only had two speakers on the SEEG. That plus the $32,000 without taxes and the fact that the SEEG's still need to be at least staged one(d) to run decently convinced me that I couldn't afford one, so I decided to hang on to my 100 anniversary edition Ultra (with HOGTUNES installed) and opted for a '05 XL 1200C instead.
EDIT: I did forget to say that the SEEG does come with a hydraulic clutch, standard. And the 103 (but still needs work out of the crate).

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Over the long weekend I decided to swap out my factory head-unit in my 2000 Road Glide for something that actually had a CD, front panel AUX-in, and had an industry standard output resistance ie4OHMs. I put a JVC head unit in and matched that with some Polk db525 speakers. I can't tell you how much of a relief it is to have a little more of that proprietary HD crap off my bike. I now have the ability to add rear speakers if I want, without having to buy a "harness" or a "kit" or a whatever harley likes to bend us over for at the dealer. The second thing that surprised me is just how crappy the factory speakers were. I was always told that speakers should have magnets, you know, but screws wouldn't even stick to the factory units, what a waste. My system now sounds 10x better than before, and I can actually hear it on the highway without maxing the volume. I might be singing a different tune if I just dropped all that money on that fancy new radio for '06, but to get all the functionality of that new radio, it means spending hundreds/thousands of dollars on wiring harnesses and crap, gimmeafrigginbreak. Harley knows dick about sound systems, joining with H-K was a step in the right direction, but in usual HD fashion they still found a way to screw those keeping them in business. I say leave the bike building to Harley, but forget about HD sound systems. Sorry for the rant, back on topic. Hogtunes or otherwise, just get rid of that factory crap and you will be much happier.
-Orion

·
Registered
263 Posts
I did many searches on the subject of speaker replacment on this site and opinions are all across the board between Hogtunes, Polk, and J&M replacment speakers. I was going to go with Hogtunes, but my wife suprised me for Christmas with some J&M speakers, along with an IPOD Nano (okay, I dropped many hints as well). I then searched through again this morning to make sure I have the "right" speaker replacment for my 2000 EG and I don't think you can go wrong with any of the suggestions on the board. I'm glad I did get the J&M though, after reading through this thread http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=34970&highlight=db525
This thread got into the ohm differences, as well as a very good detailed instructions on how to replace (sounds easier than following the service manual). Also, the J&M are waterproof speakers, which is probably part of the reason why my stock speakers sound like crap anyway (maybe not).

I'm looking forward to installing the new speakers, along with picking up a fairing pouch (daughter got me a gift certificate for local HD store) to put my IPOD in, just need to get the adapter cord and I'm on my way to having some better sound on my ride. Now just need to get through this crappy Midwest winter (although I did go riding this past Friday for a while when we hit a balmy 50 degree's here in Wisconsin).

Good luck on your choices

1 - 17 of 17 Posts