V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here and glad I found a cool form like this one. I hoping you guys will know the answer to my first question. I would like to replace the stock tail light bulb with a brighter LED bulb; do any of you know if I can replace the current taillight bulb with an 1157 LED light?

I already have the Signal Dynamics back off brake light system and I am hoping to also switch to a brighter bulb.

I also checked with the Dealers in my area and Harley doesn't offer the turn signal conversion for the V-Rod yet, but once they do I'll get one of those too. This is the kit that converts your yellow turn signal lenses with red ones and they both turn signal lights come on when you hit the brakes, one stays on and the other will flash when turn signal is in operation. I guess you can tell I knew a guy who was on a Harley stopped at a red light who was run over by a dump truck. The dump truck driver was running the red light and said he never saw the guy on the bike.

Thanks for your input,

Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dave, I just finished installing an LED tail light on my V-Rod. I got it from my local dealer, but the package it came in does not reference a manufacture; it does say "Made in Taiwan." The package also calls the product a "Rotating Pulsating Red LED 1157," and says "FOR OFF ROAD AND SHOW USE." It fits and works and is obviously compatable with OEM 1157 bulbs. As a tail light, the LEDs rotate, reversing direction every two seconds. As a stop light, all LEDs flash more than two times per second when you are on the brake. I haven't observed it in the dark yet, although the package indicates that it is "400% brighter than original." It's a little weird and will take some getting used to. My cost was right at $23.00.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh cool that is exactly what I wanted to know. A place called signal dynamics http://www.signaldynamics.com/ has both the LED and the one that rotates. Since I already have the back-off brake light system I think the LED is gong to be next. Is it easy to remove the taillight on a V-Rod? According to the shop manual you just insert a screwdriver in the hole under the fender and push up.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dave, It's not as quick and easy as the shop manual would imply, but once you do it , it's quite simple. Actually, you have to push fairly firmly on the screwdriver, and it is not in a prying fashion. You are pushing on a metal band-like spring, not a simple clip. When you get it right, you can see some movement outward in the bottom portion of the tail light assembly. Then, simply pry up the tail light assembly by hand from its bottom and slide out from the top. Then swop out the bulbs. Do the reverse on reinstallation.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ooooooo I like that; JoeJitsu. I think that is the one I am going to go with, look just like what I had in mind.

Thanks,

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts