V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wear contacts and always have a problem with my eyes and the wind when riding, I'm look into the Pan Optx, I think they are just what I need, but before I spend that much money for a pair of glasses, I wanted to get some opinions.

If you have them, do you like them? do they keep the wind out of your eyes? Which lens do you have? I was looking at the varia, but I'm not sure. I'm only buying one pair so I need something that will cover both day and night riding, from the website it looks like the only lenses that cover both are the clear spectra coat. Opinions please!

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
HDgirl, I haven't tried them myself. Everytime I spend a lot of money on some good shades I end up sitting on them or breaking them. So I just buy cheap ones most of the time.

By the way, I found you a good avatar to use. What do you think? LOL. :D

Later,

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
My apologies HDgirl. I was thinking about your lense question and I read FifthGear's and got to his avatar and got...confused?:confused:

aaa, oh, yeah, your question. I've heard good things about the product. But I've had the same experiences as FifthGrear--I lose or break expensive glasses. Have taken to using less expensive eyewear products for that reason. 'sorry, am not much help.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Confused? Jim your killing me! Hdgirl may not like to use that one. I think we need to have a contest on finding a good avatar for her....she needs a good one. LOL

Later,

·
Registered
86 Posts
I bought a pair of the cyclone pans last year and I like em alot. I bought them with the primate lens as I was told by the salesgal that the varia don't get dark enough in bright sun. I use a cheap of of clear goggles for night riding which I don't do alot of. The pans keep out all wind and feel very comfortable. Only regret I have is that I didn't get the ones with the cool flames on the frames, OH well!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have used them for about a year. I think they work wonders and truly are a cross between goggles and sunglasses. I noticed a huge difference. No more tears drying across the face. The foam allows airflow but not enough to cause irritation.

I highly recommend these for windscreen-less riding. They have several models that fit vastly different...so if you are ordering online, make sure you perform a live fit test. I wear the Cyclone model with the Clear Spectra lens - I also wanted nighttime performance. They aren't bad in the sunlight either.

Note that you should take special care and protect the foam. That part of the glasses is slightly fragile and can be damaged if treated like a regular pair of sunglasses. I had a problem with foam separation and Panoptx replaced everything (with some persuasion)...I now take care of them better and have had no problems.

Looks like you can get them in prescription as well.

hth

edit: They work decently in rain as well.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Get'em

HDGirl,

I have a serious eye illness,(steven-Johnson Syndrome) and have tried every known brand of sunglasses over the last 5 yrs. Pan-Optx are by far the best purchase for riding due to the foam that seals the frame up tight to your skin. I used only maui jims for everyday use.

I have special scleral lenses in both eyes and since i cannot product tears the foam blocks out "ALL" the wind. The glasses come with a tie back which is adjustable so that you can tighten the frame up against your face as much as you like.

I have the vapors in both the varia and polarized. Varia is a great all around lens and can be worn anytime. The polarized i use for fishing and with the wind on the ocean you can't believe on nice these sunglasses work.

The best part with these glasses is that its not like wearing those large goggles. They are sunglasses with a lining of foam just around the frame edge. Keeps all the wind, dirt, rain, dusts, etc out.

Hope this helps.

Joe

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
To each his own. I have 4 pairs of them and absolutely hate them. I can see wearing them if you have a contact lens problem, but only on the open road. They take way too much peripheral vision away, almost like riding with a full face helmet in heavy traffic.

They are good on the highway in really bad weather as they fog up less then regular glasses. I always carry one pair for this reason, but wear them maybe once or twice a year.

I think if you need the winprotection you might look at goggles that come much farther around your eyes. Might be different from person to person, as some have a much better trained peripheral vision then others.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Check out WileyX

HDGirl,

I just went through this purchase process as well. Just started wearing contacts again, so was looking for good sunglasses that could keep out the wind. Was thinking about getting a pair of Panoptix, but the price is rather steep. Then I saw an ad for WileyX and ended up going with their XL-1 model. Much less expensive ($65), they come with dark & clear interchangeable lenses (so night-time is covered), and include a slick detachable strap. There are 2 different styles available.

My local HD dealer carries both brands, and I found the WileyX fit better than the Panoptix. I've had a chance to try them out within the last week, and love them. Quite comfortable, and they do a very good job keeping out the wind.

I'd definitely recommend checking them out, as you might save some good $$. Here's their web site:

http://www.wiley-x.com/

(And I've got no connection with the company whatsoever.)

And since this is my first post to this forum, which I;ve been following for a bit now, I'll enter an intro note shortly.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Sorry HDgirl,like fifthgear & pasadenajim I use el-cheapo's,can't help you with the PanOptx.

There's a certain style I use that work well for me,when I see them at a swap meet,flea market,whatever,I buy 3 or 4 pairs.I carry a clear lens pair for nite time.

Good luck!
guido

·
Registered
875 Posts
the wiley x look good
the site has them listed for $80

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the help guys, I'm going to check into my other options, now that I know I have them.

As for Fifthgear, Pasadenajim and JimmyK, you guys are so bad. I leave the board for a few hours and look what happens, so out of control:D I'll deal with you guys as soon as I stop laughing at you:)

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
My 2 cents.

I love the Pan Optix. I can't ride without em! Don't wear contacts or glasses but I have allergies. These glasses really seal up fairly well for distant riding.

Pan Optix also offers a one-year warranty so if anything happens to them, mail them back and they will replace them, no questions asked.

I was careless and broke one of the arms. I called them up and explained and mailed them back. Got another pair via FEDEX about a week later.

Pretty good customer service.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the Panoptx Raptor with Varia lenses and I love them. The varia lenses are light sensative and I can wear them 24/7 without having to change lenses etc. My eyes don't tear at all. I personally haven't had any peripheral vision problems, but that doesn't mean that others won't. Yes they are pricey, but what price safety? Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Not sure about glasses. When I need some I pay three bucks at the corner store and they seem to work fine.

Now if anyone knows where I can get a good helmet let me know cause this one is killing me!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've got a set of Pan Optx Raptors, they work great my eyes don't tear, and they keep cross winds out of your eyes. One of the best buys that I made.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If I may chime in here....I wear the Cyclones w/Varia lens and cannot nor would not ride without them! I too, wear contacts and have a horrible problem with tearing. I've tried cheaper brands of sunglasses that claim to be wind-proof, but quickly discovered the truth in the old saying "you get what you pay for". Anything over 30mph, and I was crying like a baby. I have to disagree with a previous post that stated the Varia lens doesn't get dark enough in bright sun - I haven't found this to be the case. I think they get plenty dark, IMO. However, on the flipside of that...they are just a smidge too tinted for my taste when riding at night. I'm actually thinking about buying another pair with a clear lens for night riding. They're fine when on brightly lit roads, but the town that I live in has very few, and very dim streetlights so it makes for difficult vision at night. Other than that...I LOVE THEM and highly recommend them!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have just orded from http://www.flyingpigeyewear.com

They sent me both the Nannini and Wiley-X to try out. I tried on the Pans and they did not fit real well. The Nannini have a bows that is very adjustable and come with two lenses.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Too Late, just bought a pair over the weekend. We went to Baer Harley Davidson's open house in Honesdale, PA. They had a great selection of Pan Optx to choose from, so I got to try them on. I got the Vapor style with the specta lenses. I'm hopeing to get the chance to try them out tonight! Oh almost forgot the best part was they were on sale and I got them for $84.00, not a bad deal.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts