V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
by doing something that your families don't necessarilly approve of? Not accussing, just curious if any of you feel that you are taking too much time and money away from your families or husband's or significant others by actively pursuing the ride? Please fill me in.:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Hi casey.... I've been doing stuff for a long time that my family and some times my ex O.M didn't care for or approve of... I've always tried to take their feelings into consideration... but to me .. my opinion now... I can't live my whole entire life always doing what every one else wants.... I'm a mom ... my kids are my first priority... and take up 99% of my being...that other 1% is for me... and with out that time... for me... i'm not a good mom..and I feel stressed... It's my time to reflect upon myself...and to take a breather... some people golf..some fish.. some hunt. some drink and drug.. some run around in the bars...everyone has an outlet in their life to relieve stress... My thing is motorcycles... I've waited a long time to have one... maybe some think it's a self fish thing... but like I said everyone has an outlet... I can't help it harleys are expensive... could I have spent my $$$ on something for the family...or a much needed newer vehicle.... or something for my house??sure.. but I choose this avenue of pleasure... as far as time ... I don't get out enough as very few people are secure enough for me to leave my kids with! I have to wait for grandmom to come or for the kids to be with dad...

·
Registered
420 Posts
no guilt here

Casey,
Not at all. Do you feel guilty surfing this forum on that expensive PC?

I try and teach all my children to have a passion for something in life. I chose Motorcycle's. I think its healthy to have sometnig I call a positive addiction.

TD

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
I don't have a significant other, and when I do she will enjoy motorcycles or it probably wouldn't work. I think it's okay to have different interests, it's just motorcycles are a major interest of mine !! .02

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thank you for your responses. I also applaud your fervor. Harleygirl I am glad you found your niche in life. I am not trying to make anyone feel bad. I would like to shed some light on why I feel your pastime and mine are very different. #1. I am not risking my life. #2. My family always knows where I am and can see me anytime.
#3. I do not spend that much time on my hobby, as it would definitely interfere with the well being of my family. #4. My computer is a very far cry from the $ spent on motorcycles, insurance, registrations, equipment, etc. #5. What I do does not inflict criticism upon my family about my morals. (not that motorcycle riding should ever do that in my opinion but because people in general seem to have preconceived notions , I would always put my children first and not subject them to it. ) #6. Passion for something in life is fine and admirable, however when you are too old to ride anymore (hopefully not), will the time that your family spends with you be equal to the time you spent with them, and will you sincerely be happy with that? I know I will think of plenty more, however just thought I'd give you something to ponder!

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Life is full of risks, what kind of lesson are you sending your children. Imagine all the inventions, medical miracles, and hero's that would not be if we didn't take chances. Many people have gotten more seriously injured in their car or at work than I in the last 15 years, 250,000 miles on my motorcycle! You have your right to your beliefs, but why come somewhere where you don't have an interest and try to stir things up. I use my motorcycle for economical, enviromentally safe meens of transportation, and when I'm done it's worth what I paid for it !! Can't say that about your PC !! Good luck with that carpull tunnel !! By the way, Welcome aboard Casey.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Casey.. I'm trying to under stand something here... you ask if any one here feels guilty,about owning a motorcycle... and taking time away from the family... and the expense of it all... and some of the other points you made... But yet in your profile it says you have a 1984 low rider?? what gives.. do you or don't you ride... in your reply.. you state that you don't put your self in danger... well you put your self in danger of choking when you eat...of getting in a crash when you drive a car ... I bet those people last year after 9/11/01 didn't think they were in any danger ..just sitting in there house...but a damn airplane crashes into their house.. and kills them... the point I'm trying to make is there are dangers all around us... and I know when the good lord says it's your time to join him then your gone.... I don't care what your doing... or where you are... here's an example... see this picture.. This happened a few weeks ago.. This tractor trailer came off the interstate.. doing 75 miles an hour... he didn't stop...he went thru 4 lanes of road..over the on ramp... crossed our road.. and came thru our field... now if he had been over a little more... guess what.. he would have crashed thru my room... a Hell of a wake up call 4;30 in the morning... he could have killed someone driving on the road.. and my family as well... just wasn't my time!! good luck in your journey of life... I don't feel one bit guiltyabout any thing!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thealien, No need to get so defensive. I didn't think I was trying to "stir things up" as this is a motorcycle forum, you guys far out-number me, so why worry? The people you just mentioned taking chances gave something to better mankind, and the people who you say have gotten more seriously injured in their car or at work, didn't have the same choice that you as a motorcyclist do not to mention that the amount of people who drive cars and go to work far out-number motorcyclists, so of course you can state those statistics easily! No problem with carpal tunnel yet, however you never know. Thanks for the welcome. I am friendly, just don't understand the big fascination.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Then you need to learn how to ride if you don't already know.... and twist the throttle... and smell the smells you wouldn't in a car... the thrill of a hill... and the sights you miss when your in a car...and trust me you miss alot!! It's just something I love to do!! and want to do... and if I die doing it!! Trust me I'll have died doing something that I love!! and it was my time.... lifes to short ....

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
What about my comment on economical, enviromentally better than a car, and 15 or so accident free years. You did ask, I'm just answering a question you asked, sorry(not) you don't like my answers! Are you sure you live in Vermont, I like all the other people I've met from there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Harleygirl, I don't own the bike, it's my spouses! The dangers you listed are NECESSARY parts of life, a motorcycle isn't! I know only too well about dangers and I avoid at all cost putting myself in front of them. I know that when the Lord calls you forth, you don't come fifth. I am glad to see that that semi didn't hurt you and your family. You are truly lucky.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thealien, gee you do sound uptight! I didn't ask you THOSE questions! I have been nothing short of cordial and you feel it necessary to assault me and what you percieve are my views! Shame on you. Good for you and your economical, environmentally sound & 15 accident free years and for all of the people that you liked that you met from Vermont!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I was going to ask the same ... I was having a feeling that it was her O.M 's.... casey I have a feeling your feeling very insecure about your O'm 's bike... alone the danger I'm sure... but your getting left behind girl ain't ya??? Have you ever rode with him.... maybe you should give it a try... I'm sure if you relaxed and tried to enjoy it ... you just really might like it!! And I can be 100% sure your O.M would love you for it!! My ex.... he didn't want to ride... so I learn how to ride on my own... this is my second bike and I love it... and these hard ass harley dude's your talking about with the low morals ... i don't know any one like that... some rough looking a few are... but i can depend on them ...with my life and they are always there when I need help more . than any of the non riding people.... '

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
As I said, you asked about something i am very passionate about. I am so far from uptight, sh it I would have a beer or whatever beverage you feel okay with. I did not asault you, A matter of fact I welcomed you to the forum. If you don't like truthfull answers maybee you should stick to questions about the weather. Earlier I also stated I'm single, I have no children. I have only myself to be concerned with. Should people not ski, not bicycle, swim, etc because they are not what you deem necesary!! Shame on you, your mad at someone else!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thealien, you sound so condescending now. You know that you "Welcome" was insincere. That is ok with me, doesn't bother me at all. I never said I didn't "like" your answers, it is not my job to "like" someones answers, I was just debating an issue. You are also free to not "like" mine. This is what makes America great, you are entitled to your own opinions.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
But you ASKED for mine !!! Condescending ???? Even though we disagree, I said I would have a drink with you.. You should really talk to who your really mad at, It's not me, I don't care either way. My welcome was insincere, you don't know me well enough to be the judge of that. Read more of my posts around the forum, I'm actually kind of funny, talk to you in a different thread. Have a nice evening, Casey(not condescendingly)

Ha Ha Ha lighten up, thats an order !!!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts