V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to take the plunge and buy a 2003 V-Rod.

Are there any 'Must Have' accessories ???

I would rather finance a few of them up front, because I'm sure I am going to buy a lot more in the near future.

I will be riding solo 95% of the time, so I don't think I'm overly concerned about another seat at this point.

Also, has anybody added highway pegs yet, attaching them via an Engine Guard ????

Thanks

Mike

·
Banned
490 Posts
Depends on your tastes but..

Here is my list of "must haves" for the V-Rod:

1. SuperSport Windshield. Unless you are a hardened cruiser rider, the wind blast will tire you out pretty quick
  2. The Chrome Oil Temp. Gauge/Dipstick - $20 and its easy to install too
  3. Billet Chrome Cam Medallions - it seems like they left this part of the engine "blank" on purpose.
  4. Chrome Front Axle Covers - another $20 item thats easy to install
  5. Chrome Rear Axle Covers - a $35 item thats harder to install than you would think...
  6. Braided Stainless Steel Coolant Hose Covers - a $75 item that is difficult even for a technician to install.
  7. Fender baseplate, lo-rise sissybar and backrest pad. Even if you ain't riding two up, you'll need the sissybar and baseplate if you ever want to carry any luggage whatsoever. I almost crashed the other day trying to carry a quart of oil back from the dealership without a proper bag...
  8. Chrome Swingarm Bolt Covers - another $20 easy install
    [/list=1]

To really "max out" the chrome you could install the upper and lower chrome belt covers, but I have heard reports that these can cause rubbing on the belt - not a good thing. Chrome fork sliders would be nice too, but they are pricey, and I don't think they look that much better than the stock ones. A chrome jiffystand seems kinda ridiculous if you are actually planning on riding the bike, as opposed to displaying it in a museum. The hard-shell saddlebags are beautiful too; but at $1000 for the pair, I figure it would be cheaper for me to buy new shirts and underwear and throw away the worn ones on trips...

Depending on what you've been riding previously, you might also want to add to your metric tool collection. Since buying the V-Rod I've acquired ball-end metric Allen wrenches; a 3/8" drive 8MM bit (for the larger fasteners using my ratchet set); a new torque wrench; and a few other goodies.

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
I've been told by my snap-on dealer that they now carry a V-Rod repair kit. I'll check it out next time I see him, and find out the price.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I like the Braided Stainless Steel Coolant Hoses, and then a little chrome on the left side to offset the pipes, like chrome upper and lower belt guards and chrome sprocket. But that my short list, I got those and more but those are the one I'd start with anyway.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Does this bike come with a Tach? Mine doesn't, seems rather odd. Ooooppps, was I supposed to say that?

Oh! and the answer to your question -- Cyanide Capsules Auto Feeder -- it's a bit slower than he 9mm

·
Registered
70 Posts
I gotta have something to carry my stuff, so I went with saddlebags.

The SS windshield is pretty nice, but I get a bit of rattling out of mine from time to time and it would be nice if it was curved out at the top to deflect the wind over my head a little better. The plastic is pretty thick compared to many aftermarket shields and it takes a little while to get used to the reflection of the guages on the inside.

I've already posted about the seat choice and you've stated you're not interested in that.

Everything else is fashion in my opinion. The SE's are too expensive for nominal power gain and I'm not into the noise thing.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The SE's are a complete waste of money if you're looking for noise, best way to verify this is to listen to one, I wish they would make some *noise*.
Really noone can tell you what is "must have", the bike comes with everything you *need*, after that you look throught the catalog and see what catches your eye. All the mods install easily and come with detailed instructions -even an AOLer could install this stuff. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts