V-Twin Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Does a '43 Ford GPW (made for Willys) count? Thats an Artic top. Sadly, brakes and tires are shot. But the motor still purrs! One of those projects that's always on the back burner. Garage Squad...Help!

View attachment 265879
If I just drove between the boulders it would be ok except the nearest boulder is about 400 miles west of here. I'm thinking it's the sideways shock as nothing is loose underneath. This jeep use to be taller with a 4" lift on the frame. Took that chit off as I didn't want to carry a step ladder.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
What's that on the front bumper?

That the winch. It's old. Has 2 Ford solenoids on it and a wired remote. I thought it was aftermarket buy I worked with a guy in Reno that had one just like it. He said that's the way they came.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Here's a better pic for ya Cap.
View attachment 265899
You know that ball hitch is a good idea. I've seen drivers set their emergency brake on the boat ramp.haha it only works going forward. So any trees out there to connect the cable to or connect to another vehicle? I saw the picture of the front corner and wtf is that? An uhgah horn? Anyway that is another idea is the winch. This is my first jeep and I didn't know what to call it at Advance. I said it looks like the Army jeep well they don't have Army jeep on the screen.lol I remembered what the sideways shock is the steering damper. I was wondering what the shock was for probably the big tires. Do you have any particular type damper for your big tires? I was going today to Advance, but it was 104 and this afternoon one thunderstorm after another.

·
Registered
362 Posts
You know that ball hitch is a good idea. I've seen drivers set their emergency brake on the boat ramp.haha it only works going forward. So any trees out there to connect the cable to or connect to another vehicle? I saw the picture of the front corner and wtf is that? An uhgah horn? Anyway that is another idea is the winch. This is my first jeep and I didn't know what to call it at Advance. I said it looks like the Army jeep well they don't have Army jeep on the screen.lol I remembered what the sideways shock is the steering damper. I was wondering what the shock was for probably the big tires. Do you have any particular type damper for your big tires? I was going today to Advance, but it was 104 and this afternoon one thunderstorm after another.

Yeah I got lots of trees out here. But the battery is dead and I believe those solenoids are bad too. That is a steering stabilizer. Those tires are waaay to big for that GPW without a lift kit. They rub so there's some "hammer relief" work done inside the rear fender wells. LOL! Ever used a "hillbilly winch"? You tie a rope through your rim and the other end to a tree and when the wheel turns the rope winds around it.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
If it wasn't dark I would take a picture of the rear and show what a OP did to it. Indeed the rear fenders have been altered for bigger tires than what is on it now. It had a glue square that I scraped off the windshield was in the middle like a VA inspection sticker. I figure I must be the 4th owner.

·
Registered
688 Posts
sold my 89 cherokee....strate 6 was bulletproof but had about 300k on it and still ran perfect....you coudnt kill it ...but barely passed smog(in cal)was told it would not smog for the next time around unless a new cat or more tricks??...was a bad gas hog too...i miss it tho...went to a good home to an excited kid

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Mine had the cat cut off and the air pump removed all for hp. I guess I need a picture of the engine compartment to post need to connect the windshield squirter anyway. Someone went to a lot of trouble trying to get more hp out of a 4 banger.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Here is a kicker I looked online at Advance prices on the steering damper. The one I need is $97 + tax. I was in town anyway so I stopped at the auto store. The same gizmo is $75 including tax see the bottom of the aluminum radiator the electric fan on the other side is as big as the radiator.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts