V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,864 Posts
I had a 67 CJ5 in the late 70's..... It almost rolled many times in a sharp curve ( the two outside tires actually lifted in the air) and the steering kept losing the bearings in the front ( can't remember the part name) but then the steering would shake violently at inoportune times...
Havent been much interested in Jeeps since...
I'm struggling to imagine how you made the 2 OUTSIDE tires lift off the ground.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Those pre 72 Jeeps had a bell crank in the steering linkage, they gave a lot of trouble as did the drag link that was between it and the box. The links had an adjustable ball end, and left unserviced, they would separate while you were driving.
Bellcrank, that was it... TY Therm

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Wife has a 16 Cherokee but my youngest daughter has an 08 Wrangelr X, Oldest daughter drives a 2012 Grand Cherokee and her husband has an extreamly modified 2012 JKU and an older Wrangler, I think it a YJ in ridiculously great condition.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have discovered that the hardest part of driving a Jeep is getting in the damn thing. Getting out is like stepping out of an airplane without a parachute. Either I need smaller tires or weld up a step to climb in. I hate to trade the tires out as they have another 25k to go.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have discovered that the hardest part of driving a Jeep is getting in the damn thing. Getting out is like stepping out of an airplane without a parachute. Either I need smaller tires or weld up a step to climb in. I hate to trade the tires out as they have another 25k to go.

Get some running boards.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I've had several over the years. 81, 96, 08, and now a 14. They look tough but they're not indestructible. I've managed to break them a few time when my wheeling and mudding got a bit too wild. The older ones were much easier to fix.
Capt, is it lifted? Lots of Jeep owners do the cheap lift of moving the springs over the axles. If that's the case change it back to stock. That type of "economy lift" will cause the Jeep to be unstable returning it to stock it will help you getting in and out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Love jeeps. Have 4 right now and all are Willys. Had been collecting them for years. Only took 100 to get these. It could be the OCD! 41 MB, 45 2A, 53 3Bfactory fire engine and 62 CJ5.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well in a short while I found I had a difficult time trying to get in the door. I went to Tractor Supply and bought 2 of those step receivers like is for use on a pickup truck with the tailgate down. They extend out some more, but it is not necessary in my case. My race truck neighbor welded them to the frame. I think some skid tape is needed on that chrome step.

·
Registered
776 Posts
LOL! Figured you might have been going backwards or something... Oh wait... LOL!!
It was a long time ago, but I hated that piece of sheet.... I had a brand new Chevy Blazer on order and "my buddy" found this POS Jeep,and of course I bought it and let the blazer go....... When I think about it, I still can't believe I didn't wait for my Blazer to come in......

21 - 36 of 36 Posts