V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
OldBoldPilot
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how long I can go on paying dealer labor rates... It's nuts!

I bought some Chubby 518 handlebars, because the stock bars on my new FLSTCI were giving me a pain in the neck (literally). To save a few bucks, I bought what Wild 1 (who manufactures Chubby bars) calls "blems" -- sets that have a tiny flaw but nonetheless can't be sold for full price. Saved $60, and the blemish is in a place that will be covered by the grip.

So I call my local dealer and ask how much just to change out the bars, without re-doing the wiring inside the bars and using the stock cables, which will fit with the 518's, according to Wild 1.

"Eight hours of labor," says the service manager.
"But I don't want to do internal wiring," I said.
"With Chubbys," he says, "you have to do internal wiring. But if you use your stock cables, make it 4 hours of labor. And we can fit you in in 2 weeks."

At about $80 or so an hour, I make that to be around $320, just to change out the bars. Not including the cost of the bars themselves.

Another dealer's service manager said he will do it without wiring internally, and he'll just charge me 1.5 labor hours (while assuring me "it will look like $hit if we don't go internal on the wiring"). But then he adds, "Of course, you'll have to buy new grips, because we have to cut off the old ones." Another $80 bucks or so out the window, because this guy thinks I'm a moron.

I really would like to forgo the internal wiring until a later date, when I can afford it. I'm willing to pay a fair price, but don't like being pressured into spending more than I'm comfortable with.

So I wonder whether anyone can recommend a good Indy shop in the San Fernando Valley? Not that they'll be cheaper, necessarily, but I really am SO tired of these dealer service people, so many of whom act more like used car salesmen than mechanics.

TIA,
Philip

·
Registered
115 Posts
Would have suggested Honest Johns EVOs Etc. in Santa Clarita, but John was hit by a cage 3 weeks ago and broke his back. Cranky old fart who is the nicest guy you would want to meet. Did great work, less than the dealers. Good Luck.

Oh, about the grips, the dealer was probably right, depending on what kind and how much glue was used, sometimes you have to cut off the grips. Usually have to buy a new throttle sleeve too. Who ever told you Harleys were cheap!

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Jimmie at Harley House Calls.(818) 335-9662, http://harleyhousecalls.com/. He does damn good work and comes to your place to do it. You can watch over his shoulder while he does it and ask questions.

Top notch all the way. He has done my gear cams and heads, and a 20k svc. I plan on having him do a 6speed tranny too. I can't say enough good things about him. Tell him Mark with the Blue Ultra sent you.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Pony up that cash and get those wires run internal when putting on your bars. You will regret that you didn't if you leave them outside once the install is done.

·
OldBoldPilot
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So Right

Fatb0y said:
Pony up that cash and get those wires run internal when putting on your bars. You will regret that you didn't if you leave them outside once the install is done.
I believe you're right. I hate when something looks half-a$$ed, and that's the way it would look if I don't do the job properly.

Harley House Calls will be coming by my house on Wednesday to do the work. I'll let the board know how that works out. It seems to me that it may be a really great alternative to dealing with dealer service departments, even if it isn't much cheaper. It's kind of nice to actually be able to converse with the guy who's working on your ride.

Philip

1 - 6 of 6 Posts