V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about converting my Fxstc front end into a Fatboy type front tire and fender, cause I kinda like the beefier lookin' front end, not the lower or upper legs, mind you, just the tire and fender. An acquanitance said that the wider tires in the front end are not as responsive. This seems to make sense considering that there is more tire to turn or deal with.
Any opinions on this subject, or to any of you that have ridden both kinds of front ends on the softails?

·
Banned
871 Posts
lionsm13 said:
I was thinking about converting my Fxstc front end into a Fatboy type front tire and fender, cause I kinda like the beefier lookin' front end, not the lower or upper legs, mind you, just the tire and fender. An acquanitance said that the wider tires in the front end are not as responsive. This seems to make sense considering that there is more tire to turn or deal with.
Any opinions on this subject, or to any of you that have ridden both kinds of front ends on the softails?
In my experience, they are not as responsive as narrower tires. I can't be sure, but I believe that wide tires are used more on the front of dressers due to their ability to dissipate heat better and handle heavier loads. I guess the contact patch would be slightly larger too, which might add a bit of traction in the turns. I'll stick with my 19" tire. :)

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
Not much difference. I have a Deuce and a Road King, as far as I can feel, but I just cruise..maybe you can tell a difference if you push the bike a bit harder..

·
Banned
871 Posts
DR_DEUCE said:
Not much difference. I have a Deuce and a Road King, as far as I can feel, but I just cruise..maybe you can tell a difference if you push the bike a bit harder..
No, highway cruising won't show much of a difference. Where I live, we have a lot of winding mountain roads, and I can definitely the difference when riding on them.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
When I put a fatboy wheel on my FXSTC the first thing I noticed was a gyro type effect. I got used to it within a couple of miles and it was totally fine after that.

·
Registered
434 Posts
ehhh, I've found an wide front tire handles really well off road in deep sand:blink: ....you really don't want to know the rest of the story....

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Biggest difference the wider front tire will give you is that they are less prone to follow the small cracks in the road. I noticed this big time when riding my Deuce as compared to the RG. The skinny front tire on the Deuce just seemed to follow any little crack or road repair. Especially noticeable on the grooved pavement we seem to have alot of around here.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
What Road Glider said -- the wide tire won't follow little cracks like the narrow tire does. On the road, I haven't noticed a great deal of difference otherwise. Maybe in turns the narrow one is "better." Maybe.. I just run with what I think looks best.
But if you ever get off pavement, the wider front is much easier to deal with.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same thing.

Heard that the front end on a FXSTC isn't really designed for the 16"
tire, the rake is slightly different.

So what I did was split the difference and put a 19" , like the Dyna's have,
on mine.

Love it, not a drastic change in appearance, but much better handling.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I have a buddy with a dyna and just watching him ride down the road you can see the front tire moving all over the place... I don't have any of that on my RK.

Side question if I may:

I have a stock 130 in front and was thinking of going to a 140 Met ME880... already have the ME880 150 on the back... both are 16". Any problems with this?

Thanks.

·
Banned
871 Posts
8-Ball said:
I have a buddy with a dyna and just watching him ride down the road you can see the front tire moving all over the place... I don't have any of that on my RK.

Side question if I may:

I have a stock 130 in front and was thinking of going to a 140 Met ME880... already have the ME880 150 on the back... both are 16". Any problems with this?

Thanks.
Shouldn't be a problem, as long as the tire clears the forks and fender. You'll have to measure them to be sure it will fit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts