V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used Norton Internet Security for years, a primary reason being that it had a website ad-blocking feature.

I just found out that they eliminated this feature in the 2008 version.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good alternative, that includes ad-blocking?

Thanks a lot, John

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I use Trend Micro Internet Security I like it better that Norton

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
second for Trend

Divertim said:
I use Trend Micro Internet Security I like it better that Norton
I've been using Trend for a few years and other than a few idiosyncrasies it is pretty good at doing what I want. Norton and the rest all have their own idiocyncracies as well.

·
Registered
602 Posts
For what it's worth, I've been using Trend Micro for years as well. It does what I want it to do. One plus is you're licensed to install it on 3 machines.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'm very pleased with AVG Free - it's finding stuff and I have no funny business going on. It's free, it's easy to download and install, it updates itself, ... it's good.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Another vote for AVG.

It's free. It works. Doesn't have all the bell and whistles but who cares.

I have it installed on over 15 machines and no infections yet.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
AVG. My buddy uses this on all his client's PC instead of Norton. His experience on infected computers is that AVG usually finds more viruses than Norton. He could make a living on just cleaning up PCs and installing AVG.

Surprisingly I use Symantec Corporate Edition on over 15,000 customer's machines at work and it works. I work for IBM and we use it on our own systems in the 100's of thousands. Not sure why the retail product (Norton) has to be so bad when the corporate version is good. Guess money dictates where you put your efforts.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you like Norton Internet Security but they dropped a feature you want in the 2008 version buy the 2007 version and save some money.

lowbar

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
My vote is for Trend Micro

I have more than 6000 licenses, and other products like anti-spam and we are very happy.

Trend micro is selected after a lof of tests with some products like:

f-secure
panda
Symantec , formerly norton
etc....

Free antivirus are not safe, you get what you pay for

And you can use spyBot, very useful with a lot of problems

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lowbar said:
If you like Norton Internet Security but they dropped a feature you want in the 2008 version buy the 2007 version and save some money.

lowbar
Good idea, not possible as far as I can tell, because to get the ad-blocking feature, you have to download an "Add-On Pack" from Norton, and they seem to have changed the Add-On Pack to eliminate this feature.

Appreciate all the recommendations, I'm kind of surprised that so many suites offer the ad-blocking feature... so if anyone could confirm that these recommendations do in fact offer ad-blocking, that would also be very helpful.

Thanks, John

·
Registered
501 Posts
another AVG Free here - I put it on the machines my kids use (we all know how reckless they are) When checking them last weekend after about 8 Months they are all clean.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Yep, another AVG here, along with spybot. Had Norton for a few years but it started acting funky, then I went with McAfee, it was free with Comcast, but the last update for that trashed my Firefox and Thunderbird settings so I uninstalled that. No problems with AVG so far.

·
Free agent
795 Posts
OLuminous1 said:
I'm very pleased with AVG Free - it's finding stuff and I have no funny business going on. It's free, it's easy to download and install, it updates itself, ... it's good.
@gree:

I got rid of Norton System Works a year ago and was told about this AVG Free, and the system has been perfect since..and the best part is that it's free! You can get ad blockers and pop-up stoppers all over the internet for free, so that is not really a concern of mine. I have ad-aware and pop-up stopper as free downloads and they work great!! The next best download you can make is to download Free...Mozilla internet browser. I have had "0" conflicts or freezes with Mozilla and it's my main browser now.

·
Premium Member
00 Road King, 00 Ultra, 98 Fatboy, 08 Goldwing
495 Posts
I have 6 machines that I take care of a home and work. Two years ago I got rid of Norton and McAfee. I installed, AVG, Adaware, Ccleaner, & Spybot. All are free. My problems have gone away. I have spent any money on computer repair since. Before that, every couple of months I'd have to bring a computer in for repair.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One solution I've come up with so far is an add-on for Firefox called Adblock. It works differently than Norton's ad-blocker, but my first impression is that it seems to work pretty well at blocking banner ads.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Banner ads are definitely a PIA but generally don't hurt anything. In addition to virus protection, you need something for spyware/malware protection in the modern world of PC's today.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts