V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody run a bike on a dyno with true duals and then true duals with some of these anti-reversion cones? Did they bring back some of the lost low end torque?

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bountyhunter said:
Progressive triple step headers eliminate the need for power cones and keep the torque where ya need it most!

And who makes those and how much do they cost? Also, can you get them with O2 bungs already welded on them?

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
Sure would like to see dyno results of those magical triple step headers. Last time someone talked about stage headers it really only mattered for motors above 107" displacement in racing applications (higher RPMs), not so much help for the street.

Please post some data.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
I'm not convinced*TIBS* that tru-duals cost you torque ...check out the dyno's posted on this thread which were taken from Dewey's website, and all include the exact same components except for the exhuast. The Tru-Duals dyno just as well as the Pro-pipe and Fatcat. They all used the same tuner as well, which leads me to believe that a good tuner seems to be more important than pipe selection IMO.

Positions:

1&2 are Rinehart Tru-Duals
3 is ProPipe & 4 is FatCat

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64611

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bedemonster said:
I'm not convinced*TIBS* that tru-duals cost you torque ...check out the dyno's posted on this thread which were taken from Dewey's website, and all include the exact same components except for the exhuast. The Tru-Duals dyno just as well as the Pro-pipe and Fatcat. They all used the same tuner as well, which leads me to believe that a good tuner seems to be more important than pipe selection IMO.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64611
I couldn't get the attachments to open for the dynos. So I need to ask. How did the torque look from 2,000 to 3,000rpm with the true duals? That is where the problems have always been.

·
Banned
701 Posts
Hard Krome 3" T-Rex True Duals $700

I gotta agree with bedemonster. A precise dyno tune makes all the difference. I sure don't notice a lack of torque in any gear/rpm when I roll it on. Pulls strong all the way from idle to WFO. An sensor bung could easily be welded on the back of the front pipe if ya want to do a closed loop. My tuner recommmended these pipes because he has had excellent results. They have no clamps or gaps, removeable baffles and chrome billet tips. All solid welded doulble wall and very easy install (tranny and starter brackets are eliminated). I have not seen a better engineered true dual system!

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
wkohn said:
I couldn't get the attachments to open for the dynos. So I need to ask. How did the torque look from 2,000 to 3,000rpm with the true duals? That is where the problems have always been.
Edited original post (see above)

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
bedemonster said:
Edited original post (see above)
Very interesting. Now I have to sit back and rethink all of this. Beginning to think I should stick with the plan of using www.hackerpipes.com ceramic coated true dual headers.

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
bedemonster said:
I'm not convinced*TIBS* that tru-duals cost you torque ...check out the dyno's posted on this thread which were taken from Dewey's website, and all include the exact same components except for the exhuast. The Tru-Duals dyno just as well as the Pro-pipe and Fatcat. They all used the same tuner as well, which leads me to believe that a good tuner seems to be more important than pipe selection IMO.....
The point remains, that a good tuner can and will get more torque in the rideable range out of a good 2:1 than Rineharts. None of the data you post show the same bike going from Rineharts to a 2:1 and re-tuning. None. So that data only shows what people might expect with Dewey's heads if they have similar components (as it is intended to) not what they can expect by stepping down to Rinehart duals from a good 2:1. Ask Dewey himself rather than misusing the data he shares with the public. That would show some class.

You might further wonder why, if there were no saleable advantage, Rinehart would spend the R&D to develop a 2:1 system if their duals (which are popular on looks and sound alone) were better for performance. Maybe they will tell you.

:beer4u:

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
drdevon said:
The point remains, that a good tuner can and will get more torque in the rideable range out of a good 2:1 than Rineharts. None of the data you post show the same bike going from Rineharts to a 2:1 and re-tuning. None. So that data only shows what people might expect with Dewey's heads if they have similar components (as it is intended to) not what they can expect by stepping down to Rinehart duals from a good 2:1. Ask Dewey himself rather than misusing the data he shares with the public. That would show some class.

You might further wonder why, if there were no saleable advantage, Rinehart would spend the R&D to develop a 2:1 system if their duals (which are popular on looks and sound alone) were better for performance. Maybe they will tell you.

:beer4u:
Good point. But what about using the anti-reversion cones on true duals? Would it help to gain back some of the loss?

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
drdevon said:
That would show some class.
And you toss a personal attack because....

The fact that none of these guys with the exact same build using the exact same tuning shop, swapped out their Rineharts for a 2-1 to do a dyno comparison, doesn't mean squat. Playing devils advocate here; why didn't the guys who showed up with the 2-1 pipes throw on a set of Rineharts as well, just to verify that they were not leaving anything on the table? Besides, if I have two "A" motor bikes in the shop with the exact same components, including efi fuel managemt systems, and one bike has Rineharts, while the other has a ProPipe: there is not going to be anything so dramatic that a dyno comparison is useless. Perfect? No, but worthy of comparison? Yes.

BTW I do not own Rineharts and never have. Let's keep the discussion on subject and leave the personal attack crap out of it. No one need be offended by healthy debate.

:corn:

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bedemonster said:
BTW I do not own Rineharts and never have. Let's keep the discussion on subject and leave the personal attack crap out of it. No one need be offended by healthy debate.

Somewhere i missed the personal attack. :dunno: But I am all for sticking to the topic. I only have till December 2006 to get this all figured out.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I asked this question before I bought my Rineharts. The answer was no. I asked the Twin Cam Yahoo Group. Couple people tried them with no luck.

But, having true duals I will say this. Just buy them, enjoy them, and don't worry about missing anything. Trust me, the tiny bit of tq you lose down low will be made up every time you walk up to your bike and see the clean look of the true duals.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thatoldbike said:
I asked this question before I bought my Rineharts. The answer was no. I asked the Twin Cam Yahoo Group. Couple people tried them with no luck.

But, having true duals I will say this. Just buy them, enjoy them, and don't worry about missing anything. Trust me, the tiny bit of tq you lose down low will be made up every time you walk up to your bike and see the clean look of the true duals.
Decision decisions decisions. There is another benefit to True Duals. Weight reduction.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
You could also slide in a set of thunder monster baffles ahead of the stock baffles in the tru duals, thats what I am going to do with a set of V&H's tru dual pipes, I have the Rush mufflers with the 2 1/2" baffles, I will put in the 1 5/8" baffles before the slipons to counter act the big stock baffles in the mufflers, might also help with some reversion, we'll see.:hmmm:

·
Registered
19 Posts
torque cones

I tried a pair on my 04 RK. I had VandH true duals and basic slash cut.never had it dyno'ed but the engine seemed to run a lot hotter.
did not notice much in performance but had good top end w/true duals.Now I have both w/2 into 1.

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
bedemonster said:
And you toss a personal attack because....

The fact that none of these guys with the exact same build using the exact same tuning shop, swapped out their Rineharts for a 2-1 to do a dyno comparison, doesn't mean squat. Playing devils advocate here; why didn't the guys who showed up with the 2-1 pipes throw on a set of Rineharts as well, just to verify that they were not leaving anything on the table? Besides, if I have two "A" motor bikes in the shop with the exact same components, including efi fuel managemt systems, and one bike has Rineharts, while the other has a ProPipe: there is not going to be anything so dramatic that a dyno comparison is useless. Perfect? No, but worthy of comparison? Yes.

That was quite low, and inaccurate. He used data provided by Dewey from his customers to make some statements not supported by that data. That's not exactly top shelf. Acknowledging that you might be mis-using someone else's presentation would show some class. That is not a personal attack. It is a judgmental statement, but not a personal attack.

Now your post, on the other hand, was a personal attack, and a baseless, ignorant one to boot. Thank you. You are today's most awesome poster!

:clap:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts