V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am torn between the Softail Deluxe and the Dyna Low Rider.
I am short legged and weigh about 150. Most of my riding will be solo and within 100 miles of home. Once a week, my wife may ride but nothing that is more then a three hour trek. Together we weigh about 300 lbs. The issue of ground clearance for cornering on both models concerns me. The Dyna has about 3/4 of an inch more but still not a tall bike. I like the way the FLSTN sits and love the nostalgic cruiser look but then being over 55, I really like the basic look of the Dyna. I plan to ride both on a rental basis first but looking for opinions on both bikes. At my age, maybe knowing that the bike has a low clearence would help keep me from pushing too hard. This will be my first HD but have had Japanese and British bikes in the past. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Old Chuck said:
I am torn between the Softail Deluxe and the Dyna Low Rider.
I am short legged and weigh about 150. Most of my riding will be solo and within 100 miles of home. Once a week, my wife may ride but nothing that is more then a three hour trek. Together we weigh about 300 lbs. The issue of ground clearance for cornering on both models concerns me. The Dyna has about 3/4 of an inch more but still not a tall bike. I like the way the FLSTN sits and love the nostalgic cruiser look but then being over 55, I really like the basic look of the Dyna. I plan to ride both on a rental basis first but looking for opinions on both bikes. At my age, maybe knowing that the bike has a low clearence would help keep me from pushing too hard. This will be my first HD but have had Japanese and British bikes in the past. Any thoughts?

When you say you have short legs ,,,, what do you mean by short ,,, i have a 30 inch inseam.... and can flat foot a dresser with no problem. Of the dynas and softails...... the superglide is the best buy. The lowrider is very low as are the softails .....if you really are having a seat hight issue ,,, a heritage might be a good choice ... they come with bags and windshield .....but they are no price bargin ,,,, the electra glide with a lowering kit might also be an option. The big problem i have with softails is that you can be riding an FLH for about the same price.... no comparison between the handling and ride ... I do like the styling of a lowrider ,,, i owned one for amost seven years .....It was what i called a 300 mile a day bike ,, and mrs rat called it a 50 mile bike from her on the back point of view ..... she is a seasoned touring vet.....so if she says its a 50 mile bike.... you can take that to the bank .... rat

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rat,
Thanks for the reply.
My inseem is 28". That is one reason the FLSTN and the FXDL seem to fit.
Did you like the Dyna you had? What were the factors that made it a 50 mile bike?

Old Chuck

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Old Chuck-I know you will get a lot of good help in making your decision on which bike to get. One major difference between the Dyna and the softail other than suspension is in the engine. They are both 88 engines but the Deluxe is balanced meaning it idles like your previously owned bikes whereas the Lowrider engine is rubber mounted and shakes at idle (like a Harley) and smoothes out once you give her the gas. Do like you stated and ride both with your wife and you will know what to do. Personally, a Deluxe is a great looking ride.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
Old Chuck, take your advice and ride them. I haven't ridden any of the Dyna line, I guess I should just for grins. I've been on a mission of sorts, I want to ride as many of the HD models as I can kind of silly but then I have a great dealer that lets me ride the rental bikes while mine is being serviced. I rode the Softail Deluxe this fall, was lucky enough to be able to put almost 150 miles on it with a mix of city, country and a quick freeway blast. The bike has some great styling, it sets nice and low and seems to have pretty good balance. I was able to turn the bike around in the area of about 2 parking spaces and feel 100% in control.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
What do you mean old?

Chuck, I have a few years on you and a few # but I am also inseam challanged. You might want to read my thread under Engine modifications. I bought a Dyna (05) last summer and after 1700 miles traded it for an 06 Road King Classic. I agree with the other guys, the softail is way more comfortable that the Dyna but for the money you can be into a Road King or Streetglide. I also have a Dealer that lets me ride almost anything and I did. Just liked the handling and ride of the Road King. I can put my feet flat on the Road King but a "close" saddle might help. I also had to spend $100 for some bars that come back a little more also. Anyway, I'm happy with my choice but it's your hard earned we are talking about here. As always, my advice is guarenteed to be worth what you are paying for it. :cheers: Dan

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
msocko3 said:
Old Chuck, take your advice and ride them.
the cobalt Deluxe is a beautiful bike........if your wifes going along, i'd look into the Streetglide...it's lower than the other FLH's...you can add the tourpak/passenger rest and its in the same price range

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I took my lowrider through the advanced safety course with NO problems. It's a nimble machine. Of course the instructor was demonstrating on a full dresser so that shoots out what bike is more manueverable--it comes down to your skill set and comfort level. I tell you my inseam is 34 inches and I can't use the mid controls. But the factory highways are PERFECT. I just shift and break with my heels rather than use the mids and shift and break with my toes. That back seat wasn't meant for passenger comfort--like ratt said 50 mile ride for a passenger is TOPS (I don't have sissy bar on mine and I doubt that would add any comfort to the "contact patch." 300 miles a day--no problem--a liitle sweaty--but no problem.

Maybe I gut lucky, mine just doesn't vibrate and shake at idle--the mirrors remain steady even and it rides very smooth. About the only thing I wish the bike had that ought to be stock to begin with is a heavier grade fork oil.
Other than that, the stock lowrider IMO is a stand alone bike that doesn't need a lot of accessories (other than a few performance mods--which is a different topic altogether and no matter what model you pick your spend 2k just for exhaust, Sert, air cleaner and dyno time, tax on said items) Happy riding--don't get to wrapped up about this stuff--just get out and ride and ride responsibly

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Old Chuck,

I have friends that own both models you desire. The Dyna is a nice bike and would be great to ride. My friend who has the Dyna is about 6" tall and 215 lbs. He rode this bike with his wife for one year. Since then, he has purchased a new Heritage Softail Classic and surely will buy a touring bike in a few years. My other friend has the Softail Deluxe and loves it. This is a great looking nostalgic bike that sits low, as the softail class does. He is a solo rider and does not tour at all. His bike serves his purpose. The point I'm trying to make is....you have to decide what is best for you. Like others have said, ride both. $hit, ride them all and then determine which one makes you happy. Don't comprimise when you are going to spend that much time and money on it. Whatever you decide, you'll be glad you took the time and made an educated purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I have an 05 Low Rider with 95" cyls. and HC pistons. It does it all, for me. It's a gas to ride solo, and really shows it's stuff when the wife is along. A motorcycle to me is different than the way someone else might look at it. I love the lean look motorcycle, nothing on the handlebars, no freakin w/shield, and no bags, and I have to have a tach. My choice, but if you like the equipment I mentioned, by all means get it. It's your choice. Ride all the bikes before purchasing, saves you some frustration. But, some are never satisfied. I love my Low Rider. Someday, when I get old (lol), I'll take a look at all that luxury.
If I can't put it in my pockets, or strap it to the seat, I'm not taking it, and I wave back....smilin'. Btw, I have 20K on my bike since March 05, I ride...right through the rain too.

Thorns

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just my -2$en#e-
My first Harley was an '04 Dyna Superglide. I loved that bike. My SO hated it. I got used to the numb hands from vibration, she dealt with the vibs in the back by refusing to ride on it. Earlier this month, as I was contemplating doing the shim fix I read about here on the forum, to try to tone down the vibration, I ran accross a deal on an '05 Heitage Classic. Very little vibration from the TC88b motor. SO is now riding again. My hands don't get numb. By all means test drive both bikes and make an informed choice based on your own experience/preference. For the record, no more rubber mounts for me. Vibration was cool/exceptable when I was younger, but not anymore.
Fred

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Chuck,

You're "ride 'em and see" plan sounds like the ticket. FWIW, I'm an experienced rider and bought my first HD. I liked the now-discontinued FXD Sport, except that at 5' 9" - I was on tiptoes. Normally, that's okay, but with the weight - I figured if it ever started to go over, I'd want all the leverage and solid footing I could get. That was wise.

I put on a take-off Low Rider seat in order to sit a little lower and because I like the look better. Handlebars and suspension are stock. As it is, I can sit comfortably flat footed, and with the weight - I think that's a very big plus.

The downside with the seat is that my wife is good for 20 minutes on it - so for anything longer, I reinstall the stocker. The only downside with the bike is that it will ground out if ridden aggressively. IMO, the suspension isn't up to the task of sportier riding, but there are things to remedy that.

Whichever model you choose, I think you'll find these are solid, well-made machines. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want to thank all of you who answered my concerns. I think your suggestions made sense and drove home that it is a personal choice. I wanted real life answers and I feel that is what I got. Had not been around many Dynas and wanted to hear from those folks who had. I do like the 88B engine for the smoothness but a stock 6 speed would be great.
Do plan to have mods done after I have enough miles on the bike to make sure that warranty should not be an issue. Planning to have Donny Petersen of Heavy Duty Cycles, Toronto do a mid build for me.
In the meantime, I will ride several bikes over several days to make the best choice I can. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Old Chuck said:
I want to thank all of you who answered my concerns. I think your suggestions made sense and drove home that it is a personal choice. I wanted real life answers and I feel that is what I got. Had not been around many Dynas and wanted to hear from those folks who had. I do like the 88B engine for the smoothness but a stock 6 speed would be great.
Do plan to have mods done after I have enough miles on the bike to make sure that warranty should not be an issue. Planning to have Donny Petersen of Heavy Duty Cycles, Toronto do a mid build for me.
In the meantime, I will ride several bikes over several days to make the best choice I can. Thanks again.
Chuck,

Glad you got what you wanted. Re the smoothness - this seems to be a bigger issue to some than to others. I personally do not mind it at all and on the Super Glide, vibration is not objectionable at any speed -- to me. Then again, I cut my teeth back when a rubber-mounted Norton was new tech and extended highway buzz on a Triumph would put your hand to sleep.

However, if vibration is a concern - a neighbor has a CVO bike with the B engine and it is smoother than mine by an order of magnitude. It is incredibly smooth, those balancers do amazing things, my neighbor makes long trips and has had zero problems.

As for builders, I see you're in Florida and suggest you might want to spend some time searching the tech/mod forums for builds and builders. There are some extremely talented and well-qualified board members in Florida and south of Toronto in general. Not taking anything from Donny, but you might review options before deciding. Especially when it comes to tuning, you have one of the best in your back yard. Good luck!

GC

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
The shaking rubber mount engine does have its plus's from a non-technical viewpoint. I remember one time sitting at traffic light and the guy in the car, to my left, yells out the window, "Do you have a Hemi in there?" :cool:

The shaking is something that a cager will notice and that trait will solidify the guy's perception of "what a H-D is all about." The look, the sound and that wonderful shaking!
:thumbsup:

·
Turgid member
1,941 Posts
If the front wheel ain't rockin, don't bother knockin. Doesn't bother me on my Dyna. That's one of the old Harley traits.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To: FXDRYDR

FXDRYDR,
I will follow your advice and check the tech sections for builder info.
Is there any reason you would not go with the builder I mentioned?
I know it is a good distance but thought it would be good to spend a week seeing someplace I had not seen while the bike is being worked on.
You mentioned some good tuners in Fl? Any one you know well?
On vibration, I had a late 70's sportster and it did shake. I would assume that the new DYNA is not as bad. Funny, when I mentioned the bikes I had owned, I had forgotten the Sporty. I wonder how that happened??
Getting old ain't easy.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Old Chuck said:
FXDRYDR,
I will follow your advice and check the tech sections for builder info.
Is there any reason you would not go with the builder I mentioned?
I know it is a good distance but thought it would be good to spend a week seeing someplace I had not seen while the bike is being worked on.
You mentioned some good tuners in Fl? Any one you know well?
On vibration, I had a late 70's sportster and it did shake. I would assume that the new DYNA is not as bad. Funny, when I mentioned the bikes I had owned, I had forgotten the Sporty. I wonder how that happened??
Getting old ain't easy.
Your Dyna will shake, while at a standstill, in a satisfying and pleasing manner! Once you roll on the throttle, the Dyna shaking will be fully absorbed by the rubber mounts and you will think the bike had a luxury car suspension!

·
Registered
28 Posts
You don't mention how tall you are. I'm 5'2 and female. I have a low rider and can flat-foot it fine, The rake is a bit steep, but the bike is easy to manage. I also have a corbin close gunfighter seat wwhich lowers the seat about an inch and you can get a shorter front fork spring. I wouldn't lower the bike cause it bottoms out over speed bumps and some dips in the road as it is, unless that doesn't matter to you. Softail NT is a great bike. I also looked at that one but the forward controls sere a little too far for me and right off the bat I would have to get a new seat and handlebars to get my arms in a comfortable leating position. How about the deluxe or fat boy?? I think they are a little lower, but the dyna is easy for me to handle (140lbs) so it probably won't be a problem for you

1 - 19 of 19 Posts