V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know that we normally check the timing in the left case timing hole. I'm wondering what's going on inside the cone where we do the adjusting. I see the degree markings and a window.
If I'm reading the markings correctly, the adjustment advances by turning it counter-clockwise. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
871 Posts
AsphaltGambler said:
I know that we normally check the timing in the left case timing hole. I'm wondering what's going on inside the cone where we do the adjusting. I see the degree markings and a window.
If I'm reading the markings correctly, the adjustment advances by turning it counter-clockwise. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.
First, read your factory manual. It will explain everything for you. It's not a wise idea to be working on the bike without the proper H-D service manual for your year/model (not a crappy Clymer, Chilton, or Haynes).

In the meantime, remove the timing cover (on the cone) and lift the rear tire off the ground. Then put it in 5th gear and turn the engine (remove the spark plugs first). You can just start the engine instead, if you like. Watch which direction the cam is turning in the cone. If you turn the plate in the opposite direction that the engine is turning, then you are advancing the timing. The other way obviously retards it. :beer4u:

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
The plate in the cone has an arrow pointing in the direction of advancment. The cam turns counter clock wise, so if you turn the plate clock wise it will advance the timing. Every long line is 5* and the short line is 2.5* increments.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Another book is "101 Harley Davidson performance projects" {for EVOs}. Its available at some book stores so you can "go browse". Also on Amazon.com. :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks for the info you guys. I do have a Harley manual but it doesn't explain the matters I'm asking. I thought that it would be easier to ask a question rather than fussing with rolling the wheel and all, but thanks anyway.

I had assumed that the cam would turn the same direction as the wheels, my mistake, even though I saw the advance mark. Hey hdmd88, why the markings and the window in the cone plate? Can it somehow be timed here?
And I was really wondering what the degrees were.

Thanks again

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
AsphaltGambler said:
Hey, thanks for the info you guys. I do have a Harley manual but it doesn't explain the matters I'm asking. I thought that it would be easier to ask a question rather than fussing with rolling the wheel and all, but thanks anyway.

I had assumed that the cam would turn the same direction as the wheels, my mistake, even though I saw the advance mark. Hey hdmd88, why the markings and the window in the cone plate? Can it somehow be timed here?
And I was really wondering what the degrees were.

Thanks again
With a timing light you can see how many degrees you move the timing in the window. full advance on your EVO is 35* at 2000 rpm. If you have high compression pistons in your build you can retard the timing 2* to 4* or dual plugs you can retard the timing 5*to 8* from full advance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts