V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

Just thought I would throw this out there for Va. Riders.

Check out any part of route 42, it runs west of and along route 81. swnkallaround probably knows this road.

It runs down a valley one ridge or so over from 81 and it's a great ride. It can be an alternative to BRPKWY for getting south.

You can pick it up anywhere along rt. 81.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
vafatboy said:
Howdy,

Just thought I would throw this out there for Va. Riders.

Check out any part of route 42, it runs west of and along route 81. swnkallaround probably knows this road.

It runs down a valley one ridge or so over from 81 and it's a great ride. It can be an alternative to BRPKWY for getting south.

You can pick it up anywhere along rt. 81.
I love it...took Doug up it from Mt Jackson to Woodstock (just a short section) great riding!

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
Good route

In the past for a good day trip I've combined it with 55 out from Haymarket connect with 623 then 42 south connecting with 211 back over skyline and home.

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Nice call! I've been through Staunton many times but never ventured further afield around there. This one looks great. And you can't go wrong taking any road called "Little Calf Pasture Hwy". Here's a map of SR-42.

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
VaFatty Signature Roads?

Hey VaFatboy, what are the roads we took that day we went over to MD on the Ferry and ended up in Harper's Ferry? Remember those great country roads through historic Maryland? What were the route numbers of that ride? I want to do a map of that loop. I want to ride those roads again too, maybe in the Spring!

And also, what was the route number of that great little road we jumped on North of Front Royal coming home form our Skyline Drive ride? The one we hit just after Billymac peeled off heading home?

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HD-LUX said:
Hey VaFatboy, what are the roads we took that day we went over to MD on the Ferry and ended up in Harper's Ferry? Remember those great country roads through historic Maryland? What were the route numbers of that ride? I want to do a map of that loop. I want to ride those roads again too, maybe in the Spring!

And also, what was the route number of that great little road we jumped on North of Front Royal coming home form our Skyline Drive ride? The one we hit just after Billymac peeled off heading home?

HD

Been internet challanged of late, just got back on here at work. Will get this stuff to you by tomorrow evening.

Later,

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I've ridden it from Salem to Chilhowie. It is a nice ride. I think it is more scenic than the BRP. After you seen a few miles of split rail fences, and "scenic overlooks", the Parkway gets old, IMO.

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HD,

The ride from Whites Ferry was:

Whites Ferry rd. to Martinsburg rd. to Rt 28 to Rt 15 to Rt 464 to Rt 17 to Rt 40 to Rt 67 to Rt 340 to Harpers Ferry.

Later,

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HD-LUX And also said:
That would be Leeds Manor Road. Off 55 at Markham over to Rt 17.

Later,

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Leesburg to Harper's Ferry via Maryland

vafatboy said:
Whites Ferry rd. to Martinsburg rd. to Rt 28 to Rt 15 to Rt 464 to Rt 17 to Rt 40 to Rt 67 to Rt 340 to Harper's Ferry.
Thanks. I put these into a map of the route as a loop. The software picked the return although we took a different route back. I think we blasted our 340 and 15S. The first half or this route has some great Maryland country roads and scenic little towns. This is a great Fall ride if there ever was one.

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
vafatboy said:
That would be Leeds Manor Road. Off 55 at Markham over to Rt 17.
Cool, thanks. Rt 688 from Markham/Front Royal to Rt 17/50 at Paris, VA near Sky Meadows is a perfect country road fro cruising. Sadly it will take less than 30 minutes to cover but it is probably the most beautiful road I have cruised in Virginia. Here's the map.

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
Here's one of my favorites

Thought I'd share a favorite of mine (and with Chris's help) here it is: http://www.hotiron.com/maps/huntcounty/ Combines two of my favorite roads Rts 55 & 688. :thumbsup:

We usually stop in Middleburg for lunch before heading home, its a great ride in the spring or fall. Hopefully we can work it into a Delinquent's route when it warms up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts