V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my wife's sporty, she has just broken it in and now she wants a little rumble. However, she's not concerned with squeezing every last ounce of power out of the bike. So, my question is this: Is it safe to just change out the exhaust without doing the air filter change + jet kit install? I'll probably do all of these changes to her bike eventually, but the only thing I'd like to do right now is change out the slip-ons.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
If you intend to get to it down the road some, it is not likely to hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
It will just spit & putter every now & again. You might want to at least retune the idle mix screw. You know the trick with the 90 deg drill?

For the $$ check out Krome Works HP + slip ons, they sound real good and preform very well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mr.guido
I put a set of D&D slip on's on my 02 sporty. And I had to dyno jet it. It just ran to lean. In fact I had to jump up two jet sizes from the stock jet. And I still have the stock Air filter on. And it runs real good. And sounds like a harley should. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll probably end up getting it jetted sooner than later just because I'm paranoid about hurting the motor from running it too lean.

Kags, haven't heard about the 90 degree drill trick...

·
Riding yr rnd in sunny FL
309 Posts
Check out Cycle Shack slip ons. I got some from Krooners for $85 and they sound great. The local dealer did the Stage 1 and carb mods for about $250.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
guido,

I think Kags is talking about using a drill to remove the "plug" this is installed by the factory that covers the idle mixtures screw. You have to use a small bit to drill it out, then screw in a course thread screw into the hole and pull out the plug with some needle nose pliers. This will allow you to access the idle mixture screw with a small flatblade screwdriver.

Read step 3 of these instructions to see what we are talking about. This is from Dynojets web site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts