V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
RAMOD
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all,

Took the wife's Fatboy ('04 FLSTF/I) for a ride today and all was well until returning home. The bike has been sitting for awhile and this was the first trip out on it a month or 2. Noticed oil sprayed all over the right side of the bike. After looking around and tearing the air filter apart, it seemed to be coming from the breather hoses. I am running the older style SE plate with the round hoses that "stick out" more than the newer style.

I'm actually not too concerned about it, just wondering what may have caused it or rather contributed to it. As for the ride this afternoon (rode it to work this morning, no issues), did a few miles (40 or so) at 80+ on the interstate along with some slow speed figure-8's (ala MSF box) for 30 minutes or so. Wondering if the higher speeds/RPM's would contribute or the lean angles (coupled with the mid-range RPM's) when screwing around doing the U-turns. Asking since it seem odd to happen out of the blue- I used this bike a little over a year ago to take the MSF RCC course and it never happened. :confused:

Is there something I should be looking at as that may have crapped out (maybe a blockage) or is this fairly normal?

Thanks in advance!

Allen

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
RMC_SS_LDO said:
Afternoon all,

Took the wife's Fatboy ('04 FLSTF/I) for a ride today and all was well until returning home. The bike has been sitting for awhile and this was the first trip out on it a month or 2. Noticed oil sprayed all over the right side of the bike. After looking around and tearing the air filter apart, it seemed to be coming from the breather hoses. I am running the older style SE plate with the round hoses that "stick out" more than the newer style.

I'm actually not too concerned about it, just wondering what may have caused it or rather contributed to it. As for the ride this afternoon (rode it to work this morning, no issues), did a few miles (40 or so) at 80+ on the interstate along with some slow speed figure-8's (ala MSF box) for 30 minutes or so. Wondering if the higher speeds/RPM's would contribute or the lean angles (coupled with the mid-range RPM's) when screwing around doing the U-turns. Asking since it seem odd to happen out of the blue- I used this bike a little over a year ago to take the MSF RCC course and it never happened. :confused:

Is there something I should be looking at as that may have crapped out (maybe a blockage) or is this fairly normal?

Thanks in advance!

Allen
Not normal for a newer bike AFAIK. One would check the following things:
  • Oil level in the tank as per manual
  • Check return oil flow into the oil tank
  • Umbrella valves in the heads for blockages
  • Oil pump alignment

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
@gree:

You might also look at the condition of the small hoses that go into the filter.

·
RAMOD
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everything looks good as far as I can tell.... oil level in the tank a tad high when hot. That's the main reason I wasn't sweating it much.

I also figured that since I had just come off the hwy running at high RPM and running pretty hot, then slam the bike from side-2-side scraping floor-boards doing fig-8's didn't help much- actually just identified an issue that I hadn't noticed (high oil lvl).

Seems like a more common thing than I had realized, especially with the older style SE air filter.....

Thanks!

Allen

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Many times under hard riding you end up with a more oil in the crank case and it end up forcing oil instead of a mist up into the heads and it pukes it out. Oil pump alignment is the number on reason. A chunk of dirt goes through the pump and scuffs it a bit and it lowers the pumps scavanging and then you get the puking. AS well if the filter gets loaded up with oil you will get sometimes more often cleaning of the filter is all that needs to be done. Oil mist is normal and it will soak the filter in some case's

1 - 5 of 5 Posts