V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D Just bought a 1998 fatboy and have never riden on the road before!(dirt riding only).This is definitly a new experience I am about scared shitless.I guess with practice I will overcome it all.:cool:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Welcome John Haigh (you dirt ridin' biker) HA! :)
Glad to hear about your Fat Boy -- way to go dude!!
I grew up on dirt, that's how I learned to ride. You shouldn't have any problems adjusting except for the turns, the sailing jumps and all the cages. HA!
Yeah, the street is different -- you have to learn defensive driving.
Good to have you. What dirt bikes have you owned?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They were called OSSA'S. They were from Italy And this was a really long time ago.Hey! Thanks for the warm welcome.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Welcome to the board, since you sound like you are a bit apprehensive, you may consider a Basic Riding Course it's a great hands on course and they go over a lot of what you need to know about riding street. Sure don't want to see anyone get hurt. The one I took was through the local Community College and was a hands on 3-day course. You will learn not to stick your knee out in a corner as a lot of folks do when riding dirt. Good luck and again welcome.

·
Registered
695 Posts
John Haigh
Oh Hell yes -- I'm very familiar with OSSA's , used to ride them (along with many other makes)
Have you ever heard of Moto Morini's?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did join a rider education course that they have in Lakehurst Naval center here in NJ.I start in September and am looking forward to it.But, you know they sound really strict and I don't want to screw up.Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I have been out of the service for a loooooong time.I guess I am an old dude but have never felt like I am old.Old is 62 in my case.However,I still ice climb frozen waterfalls in the winter out in Colorado where I spend a lot of time.

·
Registered
695 Posts
62 years young? Shoot you're doin' good. How many of these young whipper-snappers could climb ice walls? HA! I bet there ain't many. Real glad to make your acquaintance.
What part of Colorado?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Welcome to the forum, John. Glad you found us. Enjoy the site and meet a friend or two! J.T.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey COX9000,Being so old I had to go to bed early last night and missed your post.I like southern Colorado a whole lot .Mostly down around Durango and Silverton it is about the most beautiful place on earth IMHO and that goes for winter and summer.How about you ?what do you like?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hiya JT,You guys have been just great abouit welcoming me into the forum.I hope to make friends here and learn a whole lot about something I've always been interested in but was,till now, scared to try .Thanks for the nice greeting!

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've got an old Irish buddy that lives in Durango. I just visited him last winter and I have to agree with you that place was beautiful. I had a real restful time while I was there -- NOT!! I'm big into winter sports so it was a blast.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
62 ???

Hey! I ain't seen that Harley Commercial of that dude sitting on the porch lately. Was that you???

Bla Ha hahahhahaha Just kiddin man!

Hell 62, Ice climbing and getting out on a Harley !

You go boy! I Think that is FANTASTIC !

Welcome to The Forum. We got a great group here !

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Dean,Well I knew that the ossa's were from someplace where they talked funny.I had a stelletto and a dagger wish I still had them,but they were sold so that I could put a
down payment on a used 1965 corvette
stingray which I also sold to put another down payment on a new house.I guess you'all have heard that story before.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JimmyK, Thanks for the welcome and that just might have been me on the porch you know when you get older you have a hard time remembering just where to hell you were twenty minutes ago. The fat boy is blackwith a whole shitpot of chrome on her.The guy that sold it to me was in the custom cycle business and he loaded this baby up.Unfortunatley he also upgraded it with the stage 1 option so it is very quick and that would be O.K. for an experienced
driver but it is a lot to handle for a novice.Hey do they make training wheels for these bikes? Thanks a bunch for the welcome your right this is a friendly forum.

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
John,

I'd rather have the extra ponies, nobody says you gotta twist that grip any farther than you want to. Besides, HP can get you OUT of trouble faster also. I always try to stay in the "meat" of the powerband just in case I need to goose it quick to avoid a hazard.
And speaking of Colorado, Telluride has been one of my favorite places on Earth for about 20 years now, even though it's changed a lot. Then, of course, there's that ride down the Million Dollar Highway into Silverton...

Dean

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dean,
Your probably right about the h.p. and I believe that you've made a good point about not twisting the grip any harder than I feel comfortable with. And boy are you right about the ride into Silverton.That has to qualify as the best viewing ride I have ever taken.Did you ever take the Durango silverton R.R. ride into Silverton?That is also awesome. You know,I have been in Sparta N.J. before but I can't put my finger on exactly where it is.It's obviously been awhile since I've been there.

John

1 - 20 of 30 Posts