V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the best stock TC88 heads? I read that the 2006 dyna's got the heads designed for the TC96. Did they use the same heads on all 2006 TC88's? I was looking for a spair set to have worked, but I at least want to start with comparable cores. Just how many variations are thier?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
nutdriverss said:
what are the best stock TC88 heads? I read that the 2006 dyna's got the heads designed for the TC96. Did they use the same heads on all 2006 TC88's? I was looking for a spair set to have worked, but I at least want to start with comparable cores. Just how many variations are thier?
All 06's apparently had the improved heads.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
All 99 to 07 heads will work. 99-05 have the same castings but in 05 HD changed the valves, guides and springs. In 06 the castings changed and the exhaust port was opened up considerably. The intake port was also changed and the same valve componets as 05 are used. The 07 heads are basically the same as the 06 but in 07 Harley brought on a new vendor and started having the heads cast by Mercury (as in boat engines Mercury).

As for which castings to start with, you should ask who ever will be doing the porting what they would prefer. With the 05 and earlier casting, the exhaust port has more meat to work with and allows the porter more ability to shape the port.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
springer- said:
All 99 to 07 heads will work. 99-05 have the same castings but in 05 HD changed the valves, guides and springs. In 06 the castings changed and the exhaust port was opened up considerably. The intake port was also changed and the same valve componets as 05 are used. The 07 heads are basically the same as the 06 but in 07 Harley brought on a new vendor and started having the heas cast by Mercury (as in boat engines Mercury).

As for which castings to start with, you should ask who ever will be doing the porting what they would prefer. With the 05 and earlier casting, the exhaust port has more meat to work with and allows the porter more ability to shape the port.
What does Bean perfer to work with? pre 05's or 06's? thanks.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Mtclassic said:
What does Bean perfer to work with? pre 05's or 06's? thanks.
I personally prefer the way Bean ports the 05's. I like the newer valve components and the way he does the exhaust port. I think if you ask Bean he would say they all perform the same when he is done with them. Bean ports them a little different depending on year of the castings (04,06 etc..).

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Heads

nutdriverss said:
The BEST OEM stock casting, that the Moco has manufactured to date for the T/C's, is in fact the 07 head casting. The intake floor is raised even more than the 06 casting.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Hillsidecycle.com said:
The BEST OEM stock casting, that the Moco has manufactured to date for the T/C's, is in fact the 07 head casting. The intake floor is raised even more than the 06 casting.
What year did the intake manifold mounting change?

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Once a head is correctly ported is does not matter what year it is. You can take a 99 -08 head and port it and have a great ported head. Our ported heads 99 or a 08 will flow the same and have great velocity. The intake flange change is a simple deal now the 08 head will only work for the 08 so for that year you are using the stock head, or SE head. We stock all the cores years and color so we do a exchange to speed up the process. But as i said if we ported a 06 head for you it would flow as well as a 05 head that is ported etc.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
Once a head is correctly ported is does not matter what year it is. You can take a 99 -08 head and port it and have a great ported head. Our ported heads 99 or a 08 will flow the same and have great velocity. The intake flange change is a simple deal now the 08 head will only work for the 08 so for that year you are using the stock head, or SE head. We stock all the cores years and color so we do a exchange to speed up the process. But as i said if we ported a 06 head for you it would flow as well as a 05 head that is ported etc.
I have 06 heads and I want to bolt them on an 03 RK. What do I have to do to install???

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Get a manual, and follow the steps. I don't think pulling heads is pad. Screwing witrh rings and and circ clips is a pain, to the novice. But to me pulling heads is pretty much just follw the steps in the manual. Rear is PIA. First time I did front, no special tools. When I did rear bought 7/16 and 1/2 dogbone from McMaster Carr.

not sure if that was your quetion.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
06 Flanges???

Mtclassic said:
you just need the 06 intake flanges.
Sorry, I'm new at this twin cam FI I though the intake manifold was all 1 piece. Where is a good place to get the flanges (ebay,HD stealer,aftermarket)? Sorry Nutdriverss I didn't mean to steal your tread!!!

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Heads

Just replace in reverse order. Piece of cake.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts