V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01 FXDWG with 95c.i. SE performance heads, forged pistons (10:5 comp) and running the SE 258 cams and all the other little goodies. This was the build HD suggested at the time. Now after some time on the build the cam selection was not a good choice for my style of riding. These cams are for just all out throttle. I spend too much time cruising at 2500-3000 rpm.

I have been searching the forum for some answers on a new cam selection and have decided to go with a gear drive. I've been seeing a lot on the 37G cam. Will this cam work for my set up? (10:5 compression) What other cams would be a good choice? I am just looking for a more streetable (my own word) cam setup. Still looking for good dyno numbers

Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,389 Posts
flyin hawaiian said:
I have a 01 FXDWG with 95c.i. SE performance heads, forged pistons (10:5 comp) and running the SE 258 cams and all the other little goodies. This was the build HD suggested at the time. Now after some time on the build the cam selection was not a good choice for my style of riding. These cams are for just all out throttle. I spend too much time cruising at 2500-3000 rpm.

I have been searching the forum for some answers on a new cam selection and have decided to go with a gear drive. I've been seeing a lot on the 37G cam. Will this cam work for my set up? (10:5 compression) What other cams would be a good choice? I am just looking for a more streetable (my own word) cam setup. Still looking for good dyno numbers

Thanks
You have too much compression for the 37 cam. A couple of gear driven choices ( others will chime in with more) would be 67g which is as close as you can get to the SE 257 grind. I ran one in a Dyna with your exact build for awhile and it had lots of low end grunt at 10.5:1 You might also consider the 55g...will come on lots sooner...and even though you are a tad high on the compression according to andrews (9.5-10.2) I run one in my Night Train at 10.5 ..but its a lighter bike like yours and the 3.37 gear helps. Mine is carbed and I run a DTT ignition and it loves 6 initial / curve 4. Cant make it ping on 94 sunoco.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,453 Posts
You might wanna look at the TW6 andTW5 they should both be OK for that setup...to find out call Bob Wood he actually answers the phone and will help you out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,589 Posts
SEDELUXE05 said:
tw6hg you will need roller rockers and rocker support id go with the 2 degree advance .thats a hard hitting cam aggresive ramps valve train has to be set up for it.

tw5g very good cam simila to the 251 with more down low and mid range.
also do not forget about the exhaust system that has a lot to do with the power band also
The Wood TW5G was made for SE Performance heads and is a torque monster that still has enough lift to keep you going well in the top end. Add a +2 cam advance key for a little quicker cam bite. While you are in the cam chest add the Baisley spring for added oil pressure. Cheap insurance. SEDELUXE brings up a good point on the exhaust. You can really increase your performance with the right pipes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I want to thank everyone for the advice. I would also like to know what it is that makes the 37g not usable for my build. You say it is because of my compression, but is it the cams duration, lift, ext.

What is it specifically that I'm looking for when choosing a cam with high comp so I know it will work?

Thanks again.
 

·
Infidel
Joined
·
6,331 Posts
flyin hawaiian said:
I want to thank everyone for the advice. I would also like to know what it is that makes the 37g not usable for my build. You say it is because of my compression, but is it the cams duration, lift, ext.

What is it specifically that I'm looking for when choosing a cam with high comp so I know it will work?

Thanks again.
Syclone told ya, too much cranking cylinder pressure. The early closing events on the 37G will lead to very high cranking cylinder pressure. You'd need compression releases and possibly a high output starter. The biggest issue would be pinging. If she pings, it's a short trip to a ruined motor.

Here's some light reading (tip o' the hat to baggerdad):

http://www.hartwellmotorcycles.com/cams.html
http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_camshafts.shtml
http://users.spec.net/home/emxjc/cam_shaft_power.html
http://e30m3performance.com/myths/more_myths1/comp_ratio/comp_ratio2.htm
http://www.compcams.com/information/tutorials/
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/50983/
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/camterms.htm
http://www.aperaceparts.com/tech/camterminology.html
http://www.lowridermagazine.com/tech/0409lrm_camtech/
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/MTFCTulsa/cams/cambasics.htm
http://www.sverrekahrsracing.no/Butikk/compcams/Ventiltiming/ventiltiming.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wyodude said:
Syclone told ya, too much cranking cylinder pressure. The early closing events on the 37G will lead to very high cranking cylinder pressure. You'd need compression releases and possibly a high output starter. The biggest issue would be pinging. If she pings, it's a short trip to a ruined motor.
Thanks for the links.

Also I do have comp releases and a spike high output starter.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top