V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy:

I bought my 1st bike, a new 1977 Suzuiki GS750, when I was 17 (still have it, still runs!) and have been riding ever sense. I was in Hawaii last year with another couple and my buddy's girl INSISTED on renting Harleys. Now, I had always considered 'Hogs' just that... too expensive, too slow, too costly to maintain, poor build quality, etc., etc., etc....

Well, I put down my hard earned money on a Fat Boy rental for 8 hours not because I wanted to, but because you just don't say 'no' to my buddies girl... Now I'm thinkin "there goes $100 and a day of vacation"

10 minutes in the saddle and I changed my mind. To paraphrase "This ain't my fathers Oldsmobile!"

Soooo, I get back to Las Vegas and rent a different Harley about once a month from the local dealership. Las Vegas ain't Kauai (you have to go 200+ miles in any direction to get to "good" riding) so I settled on a Road Glide.

Couldn't afford new, so I started looking on ebay. Found a real sweet 1999 FLTRI in Seattle w/ 95" big bore kit, White Bros. exhaust, gear drive cams, Power Commander II, and a bunch of other mods. Seller included 2 windshields, 2 seats, a chopped tour pack, Ultra style tour pack, passanger backrest, parcel rack all on the quick detach system, all docs sense new including the crate sticker and more stuff I've forgotten...

The deal was made and I couldn't be happier with the bike! I'm definatly a Harley Davidson convert and look forward to many happy miles in the saddle.

I'm also on corvetteforum as DanZR1.

See you on the road and on this site as well

Dan:D

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Welcome Dan (ZR1DAN),
Great board here, great folks enjoy and post often...........

·
: Þ
341 Posts
Welcome. you will like it here. Lotsa great info and people. Where in hawaii did you ride? which renter you go with?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Glad to have you on board .. great place here ...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Welcome ZR1Dan,

I too took my first ride on a Harley in Hawaii, rented two a Night Train for a day then a Dyan Wide Glide for two days. It gave me a good comparison between the two types of bikes. I think I was on about every paved road on Maui. I was a blast to see the Island on a bike

Ride save and again welcome to the forum.

Dave

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses, I think I'm gonna like it here...

Yeah, VA Vrod, riding in the island rocks! No helmets, slow paced lifestyle, way cool folks that are more than happy to show you their home... It just don't get much better!

I was kinda surprised when they didn't give me a key for the rental Fatboy... until I realized I wasn't in Las Vegas anymore... after all, who would steal a Harley on Kauai???

Howdy from the desert, Kawika904... Last time I visited your home was just after 9/11... very stressed flight over but when I got there.... well you know the rest...

Rented from Hawiian Riders in Kapa'a. They really took care of us and had a good time on the Fatboy. Going back to Poipu this March, just counting the days... Kinda surprised me how all the locals there want to fly to Las Vegas and we all want to go to Hawaii... Guess the grasss is always greener elswhere...

Look forward to spending time here

Take care, and save the wave!!!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, changed the oil and filter thinking maybe the oil was the wrong weight. Didn't help. Rigged up a mechanical gage and went for a ride. Mechanical gage showed same condition, so it's not a sender/gage/eletrical issue.

Read the procedure for pulling the oil pump and realized it's over my skill and tool level. And it appears it's getting progressivly worse, just like Hippo suggested it might.

So, took the bike to the dealer for their apprasial. Next question is what's the best guess that I've done any engine damage runnung with low oil pressure? How resuliant is a twin cam motor to oil starvation? I know it has roller rather than plain bearings, so that gives me some hope that I haven't hurt the motor. Don't have any rattles or unusual engine noises. Yet...

Thanks for the input from everyone!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
disergard last post, wrong area...

·
341 Posts
Dan,
Glad to hear your going back. I was there last july. Stayed at the Sheraton Poipu. Very nive w an outside happy hour w FREE mai tai's and live hawaiian bands. Only bummer, you gotta drink on their veranda. no drinks on the beach :( Just tie a few on then head to the beach :)

·
341 Posts
Forgot to mention. Vegas has a huge population of relocated hawaiians. Just remember, be kind to the natives.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I've met several folks from Hawaii here.

Being from a tourist destination like Las Vegas, I like to think I may be slightly more respectfull to others 'homes' that others may sometimes be.

I know what it's like to watch someone come to my city, disrespect it and the people who call it home, and then leave without any regard to what they leave behind...

I always try to respect the places I visit, as well as the people who live there. Must be doing something right as last time I was in Kauai we got invited to our bartenders home after he got off work for dinner with his family.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts