V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings everyone.
My name is Jim. A week or so ago I was just passing through this site. I had a question about Roadking stock seats and this forum looked like a good place to get answers so I posted my question. Thanks to all for your answers.

Like I said, I was just passing through but as the days passed, I found myself coming back to this forum more and more. Because I ride a Yamaha Virago 1100 it didn't really make sense that I would care about a Harley site. But there is something about this place that really appeals to me. It's not the Hogs, it's not the black and orange, it's the attitude and spirit of the guys who post here. The more I read about you guys and your stories, the more I like what I see. It's rare to find a place such as this that accepts people for who they are rather than what they ride.

When I noticed the topic for "Japanese cruisers" I thought "What the hell is that doing on a Harley site?" I even voiced my opinion that a thread for *** bikes didn't belong on a Harley board. Well guys, I was wrong. This place isn't just about Harleys, it's more than that. Sure, most of the guys here own Harleys, but this place seems to be more about the freedom of riding rather than the kind of bike you ride. This place isn't an "us vs. them". You guys are beyond that and I thank you.

So if you'll accept a fellow rider I'd be honored to join you. I guess since I use to own a '94 883 Sportster I could be considered a "Harley has been" :D

My quick history.
13 years old bought a home-made mini-bike complete with sidecar!!!
14 years old I had a Suzuki 50.
21 years old bought a Kawasaki 400.
Got married (more than once) had a couple of beautiful daughters.
During my mid-life crisis event I bought my dream car, a 427 Shelby Cobra replica.
Sold the Cobra to help put my girls through college.
Now I'm 53 going on 30. Bought the Sportster a year ago, drove it for a few months and traded it on the Virago. Going to rent a RoadKing in June and drive from Denver to Montana with my highschool buds.
I'm a video producer/director and I know just enough about cars and engines to make me dangerous. I know very little about bikes but I'm learning more each day.

Cheers
Jim

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Glad...

...that you stopped in to check us out!

Great story and we welcome you to our site! You will get that HD bug again real soon, its just a matter of time. :)

Ride safe

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Jcolman, as I tried to convey before although not so good, everyone is welcome here. Especially good guys like you as I can tell from your story. I think you sumed up the atmosphere of this forum better than I could with your post. I really think sometimes it's just a matter of really getting to know someone and giving it time for them to become known to find out what cool people they really are. That's why I think this catagory really helps us to get a start in knowing someone. So, thanks for your story and welcome to the forum. ;)

Later,

·
Registered
232 Posts
Good Point 5th.

Good Point...I think only a Knucklehead would judge anybody by what they ride...Plenty of Jerks riding all kinds of bikes...and Plenty of good people riding all kinds of bikes too!!

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Re: Another FNG.

jcolman,

Welcome to the site. You can catch some pretty good information as well as good people here.
But what I want to know, is what happened to that mini bike with the sidecar? If you still have it, I want to see that rig!!!

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Good Point...I think only a Knucklehead would judge anybody by what they ride...[/B][/QUOTE]

Who ya'll callin a Knucklehead... Just kidding.. Welcome one and all.

Ape :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to spending some time here.

Roadking, I wish I still had the mini bike. It was a bad ride! Briggs and Stratton all the way
with a centrificul clutch! I remember scaring the piss out of a buddy when I took him for his first
side car ride. I made a sharp left turn, bringing the whole side car up in the air a couple of feet.
Man he was hanging on so tight I thought he'd leave fingerprints in the paint!!! Anyway, I learned
my first lesson on the bike about what happens when the engine runs out of oil while riding. Damn
thing seized up on me, locking the rear wheel while I was going full speed. Of course top speed on this
bad boy was about 30mph. Still, it was fast enough to make me appreciate what happens to a two
wheeler in a skid.

Back then mini bikes and Cushman scooters were all the rage before the *** bikes took over
the market. Don't see any Cushman's on the used market these days. I guess not too many of 'em
survived.

Now my Suzuki 50cc was a mean machine! I could get that beast buzzing and hit 65mph if the wind
was behind me! God I'm lucky I'm still alive considering the way I drove that thing! It's my humble
opinion now that 14 year old males should not be allowed to drive any motorized vehicle on the
highway. Anyway, I sure had a good time on that bike.

The only thing that the Kawasaki 400 taught me was:
1. The bike was too light to drive on the open road.
2. Never drive through the mountains of Colorado wearing only a windbreaker and a T-shirt.
those passes get COLD!!!

Anyway, I guess I've learned a few things over the years and, hopefully, won't make the same
mistakes again. Time will tell.

Ride well!

Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
128 Posts
Welcome Jim. The majority of people here are mature folks who just have a passion for motorcycles. I think a lot of us have a Japanese bike or two in our riding past. There isn't anything wrong with them. If that is your preference, then so be it. I have always had a passion for Harleys, but couldn't always afford them once the children came along. Now that they are on thier own, I'm back on the Harley. Hope to see you here often. Thanks for sharing your story.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts