V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay folks. I've been having a small problem with the rear FI fuel line slightly leaking at the tank on my 2001 FLHPI. I took the fuel line loose from the tank, including the front one that does not leak. I could see no difference in the two lines. I also cleaned the inside of the fitting on both, just to be certain there was nothing there to cause the problem. After I ride for awhile then park my bike, the gas will leak slightly from the rear line. If I disconnect the line from the fitting, the leak stops. This tells me that the problem lies in the line itself , not the fitting in the tank. I think I need to replace the line, but I am not positive of the exact cause of the leak.
Has anyone else out there seen or had this problem ? Looking for answers.
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Have you replaced the "O" rings yet?

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
twincamzz said:
Okay folks. I've been having a small problem with the rear FI fuel line slightly leaking at the tank on my 2001 FLHPI.
How do you like your FLHPI? The police bags? Did you change the single seat or leave it on? The reason I ask is because I ordered one under the Shrine program and then decided it wouldn't fit in my limited garage space. As it turns out, I probably could have squeezed it into the available area. Any regrets on getting the FLHPI instead of another model? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doug said:
Have you replaced the "O" rings yet?

Doug, The o rings are only on the "fitting" on the tank , none on the fuel line itself. This was my first thoughts on the problem as well. The fitting on the tank does not leak, BTW.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have an FLHPI & I think it's great. Only had 351 miles on it. I've made some changes (Mustang Solo Seat w/ passenger pillion, highway pegs, pipes, etc.) Haven't done anything on the paint side yet, I actually kind of like the B&W look. The dealer where my friends and I got ours (Zylstra HD) buys them with the chrome engine package which really gives you a leg up appearance wise (that's worth about $900, & they are EFI...which you may or may not like). The problem with the "hockey pucks" on the bags is they don't look all that great, but they work so well in cranking down the bag lid so it doesn't leak, that I'm reluctant to change. There are chrome covers available, but theblack ones kind of go with the black & white color scheme. I also added tank emblems and am considering getting some striping done. All in all, I think it all "comes out in the wash" you save some money with the initial investment, but you end up adding on ('course you do that anyway, no matter what you get). The air solo seat is awsomely comfortable but you need to leave the radio deck on or find someplace to relocate the air tank & gauge for the bladder. So, I took it off. When I put on the quick release hardware for the backrest on, it relocated the air suspension valves to the side, under the chrome struts.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Ya'ever fix that leak?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
harleyhog said:
Ya'ever fix that leak?
I am picking up a new return fuel line today. I'll let ya know if that cures it.

UPDATE : The external return line was NOT the problem. There is a small o-ring in the quick disconnect on the tank that is the culprit. Of course, HD does NOT sell this o-ring seperately. I have a few o -rings around the garage that look like they may work. I will try one tonite and see. I had the dealer order me a new return check valve line just in case. We'll see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts