V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I did search for the answer on this but I didn’t find exactly what I was looking for.

I have a 2002 FXSTB with the standard carb. It has a Dynojet kit in it. I have the SE performance ignition, Thunderheader, SE-204 cams, Short Block Charlie vortec heads, and 95” motor. I’m thinking about a carb upgrade next month. What’s the consensus here? Which way would you go, stick with what I have, go with an S&S G or E, or Mikuni 42 or 45? Once I do this I’m done…I swear! I ride mostly everyday, by myself. Once in a while my wife will ride with me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If money is no object, from best to worst, 44CV, 42 Mikuni, the stock rejetted carb.

While there is a use for S&S carbs in drag racing, they are not really desirable for street riding.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You gain several HP with the 44, the 42HSR will give you the impression of quicker throttle response, but the stock carb works pretty well.
Real easy to lose some fuel mileage though.

·
Registered
695 Posts
bikinaz,
I also do a lot of solo riding. It's the best way I've found to unwind from a crazy day. Just hop on and cruise. I take my son with me mostly but the wife likes to ride also.
Good luck on your carb.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well if there isn’t that much difference between the CV44 and stock I think I’ll stand pat. I think once I get the bike broke in again, it sounds like it should be hard to tell the difference between them. I was thinking maybe 5 foot-pounds of torque. If that’s not the case, then I’m not sure I need to spend anymore at this time. Besides the wife might get suspicious if the bike is down for another “tune up”.

Cox9000, I have to agree. I kind of went into withdrawal while the big bore kit was being installed. I can’t wait till it cools off so early evening rides will be a little more fun.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
5 ft/lb increase is pretty close to the advantage of the CV44 over the 40, but it might be a little higher in the rpm range and it will cost you a few mpg.
You will also need a manifold.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The Mikuni works with the same stock manifold, but you will have to rejet it and grind the top fins on the cylinders off. You are pretty unlikely to see an extra 5 ft/lb on the dyno, but the bike will feel different.

If you use the Mikuni as it comes out of the box, you are likely to take a huge dump in fuel mileage. You need a couple of jets, a different pump nozzle and possibly a needle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you serious? You have to grind the fins to get the Mikuni to fit? I thought was supposed to be a pretty much bolt on affair. With all the info provided, I wouldn’t go that way, but that’s crazy.

I might reconsider the CV44 if I can get 5ft/lb out of the deal. I figured I’d have to get a new manifold with any on the larger carbs. Which brings me to one more question. How do the larger manifold and the new ports on the SBC heads match up? Gas mileage is not a real concern. As long as it gets better mileage than my old 4x4 I’m happy.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The ports match up, not quite as well as with a stock manifold but not a problem. You only need the manifold with the 44CV, the Mikuni uses the stock manifold.

You can shoe horn the Mikuni in there, but to get it in right you need to cut the fins off. If you don't the carb isn't really straight and when the fins touch the carb body they transfer a lot of heat into the carb.
It really is no big deal, takes five minutes with a die grinder and you can not see it once it is together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts