V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2001 FLHR Road King
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all! Newbie here.

I'm looking for the best cam chain tensioner. Are there any aftermarket tensioners or am I stuck with factory HD? Has HD improved the material used on there tensioners to help prevent some of the wear problems they have.

Any info would be appreciated. Thank You.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
rickrod63 said:

I'm looking for the best cam chain tensioner. Are there any aftermarket tensioners or am I stuck with factory HD? Has HD improved the material used on there tensioners to help prevent some of the wear problems they have.

New chain/tensioner system for 2006 Dynas, won't retrofit AFAIK. Other than that, you are stuck with HD.

Welcome on board

·
Registered
83 Posts
Gear CAMS

rickrod63 said:

The best CAM chain tensioner retrofit;Gear Drive Kit, then retrofit the Stock tensioners in the trash can.
-2$en#e-

·
Registered
483 Posts
I must agree. I had 20 k. on my 99 and when I went to gear drive I saw way too much wear . Gear drive is the way to go. I don't notice a lot of extra noise as some folks say either. But what do I know, I'm an old bsa. tri. rider. The ones I am familiar with are all gear drive.

·
2001 FLHR Road King
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
west467 said:
The best CAM chain tensioner retrofit;Gear Drive Kit, then retrofit the Stock tensioners in the trash can.
-2$en#e-
I have Andrews cams installed, will cam gears work with these or do I need a different cam to run gears. Cost?

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
rickrod63 said:
I have Andrews cams installed, will cam gears work with these or do I need a different cam to run gears. Cost?
You need different cams as the gears turn the rear cam backwards compared to stock. Cost of the cmas themselves is not much different than chain drive cams, if your asking about the gear drive conversion I'm not sure what the current cost is. Around $500? Someone who's done it recently will post I'm sure.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
rickrod63 said:

The variability of cam chain tensioner shoe longevity has been attributed to the roughness of the cam chains themselves.

You can polish your cam chains and aleviate this variable.

Short Block Charlie will do it for you for 20 bucks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
rickrod63,
I just replaced the tensioners in my 2001 Deuce. Material looked the same but the shape of the shoes was different. Inner was well worn at 28,000 miles. Might have had lots of life left, or might not have. LOL. I feel better.

Regards,
Skip

·
2001 FLHR Road King
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sonicskip said:
rickrod63,
I just replaced the tensioners in my 2001 Deuce. Material looked the same but the shape of the shoes was different. Inner was well worn at 28,000 miles. Might have had lots of life left, or might not have. LOL. I feel better.

Regards,
Skip
I have 25,000 miles on my 02' RK. Going to be replacing the clutch cable so I figure while I have the pipes off might as well check/replace cam tensioner. I know gears are the way to go, but I really don't have the cash for that right now. Just wondering if there was a better than HD aftermarket tensioner available. I know what you mean about feeling better.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
my first set wore out at 12,000 miles the second set looked brand new at 12,000 miles. i am sure the chains were polished as smooth as they are going to get on the first set. I was all set to go to gears but the 2nd set of tensioners looked so dang good I nixed the idea and went to with chain drive gears. I suppose if I was putting a 100,000 miles a year on I would think differently but I only put on 20,000 miles a year and judging by how good the tensioners looked I will go at least 30,000 miles before looking at them again.

·
2001 FLHR Road King
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mtclassic said:
my first set wore out at 12,000 miles the second set looked brand new at 12,000 miles. i am sure the chains were polished as smooth as they are going to get on the first set. I was all set to go to gears but the 2nd set of tensioners looked so dang good I nixed the idea and went to with chain drive gears. I suppose if I was putting a 100,000 miles a year on I would think differently but I only put on 20,000 miles a year and judging by how good the tensioners looked I will go at least 30,000 miles before looking at them again.
I checked out the link that "wyodude" had posted. Short Block Charlie will polish the chain for $20, I will probably go this route. Do you think that after 25,000 miles that the current chain will be polished?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
rickrod, after 25,000 miles I would bet that they are as smooth as they are going to get. My second set literally had zero wear when I checked them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts