V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 38K on a 99 Ultra, I decided to take a peak at the cam chain tensioners. I had looked at them at 22K and they were not that bad. But this time looks like it is time to do something. Either replace tensioners or go the geared cam route. The groove is about half way through at the heal of the tensioner. Both tensioners are worn about the same. :hmmm:

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
LongRide said:
At 38K on a 99 Ultra, I decided to take a peak at the cam chain tensioners. I had looked at them at 22K and they were not that bad. But this time looks like it is time to do something. Either replace tensioners or go the geared cam route. The groove is about half way through at the heal of the tensioner. Both tensioners are worn about the same. :hmmm:
I read somewhere (not sure where exactly) that the shoes should be replaced at 50% wear.

Or did I dream that?

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
The question I had to ask myself when my tensioners went down at 20k was how long am I gonna keep this bike? Answer was a long time. It's an 04' Ultra and I plan on keeping it more than a few years. I ride an average of 20k a year. So just like a plummer that hates to finish his shift only to go home to find he has to fix his own pipes, I ain't pullin the cam cover every year and possibly replacing tensioners. Yeah, they're cheap, 60 bucks. But I'd much rather be spending my time riding than wrenching on my own bike. So the 600 bucks I spent in parts to convert it to gear drive was worth it to me. Set it, forget it and worry about something else like a burned up stator, voltage regulator or breaking a belt. Seriously though, a tensioner going bad can do alot more damage than the other three things I mentioned. As a matter of fact, those nice hard little orange bits of plastic did a nice job of scoring the soft aluminum of my oil pump. Had to replace that too while I was in there.

Believe you me, everyone has their own opinion on this tensioner deal here.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
That amount of wear is normal. I amnot getting intothe chain vs gear thing. But Ihave seen shoes look like that till 80,000 and Ihave seen them look worse than that with 44 miles on them. I did a 06 that had 44miles it came right from the dealer and they where worn more than that. Go figure. Keep a eye on them now that you know what shape they are in and check them every 5000. Or add a gear drive cam set up it you are not inclined to be checking them.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Timbo – Thanks for sharing the rational you use to make a decision on this subject, it helps a lot. Originally I wanted to go the 95 “ BB, Andrews 37G and headwork route. But because of my riding style and the lack of funds right now, I might have to do something less. I will most likely go with geared cams and do the BB kit and heads for sometime later when I have the funds. Then again, maybe I should bite the bullet and do it all now.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HDWRENCH said:
That amount of wear is normal. I amnot getting intothe chain vs gear thing. But Ihave seen shoes look like that till 80,000 and Ihave seen them look worse than that with 44 miles on them. I did a 06 that had 44miles it came right from the dealer and they where worn more than that. Go figure. Keep a eye on them now that you know what shaper they are in and check them every 5000. Or add a gear drive cam set up it you are not inclined to be checking them.
Steve - I'm not real worried about the amount of wear on the tensioners. My reason for posting was to show some of the people here another example of how long they can last and what they look like. Like you I don't want to get into a debate over the subject.
However, I am going to call you in the next day or two for some advice on different courses of action to take. Thanks.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Sounds good, I tell many that want to cam now and BB later to save the money and do it at once. Money wise you are ahead of the game that way. The 95 kit is a nice upgrade add cams and head work and it runs very well, look at that price you have and you are very close to money for a 98 kit. For low end grunt they are hard to beat. In the end it all comes down to money and getting the best bang for your buck

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
For low end grunt they are hard to beat. In the end it all comes down to money and getting the best bang for your buck

Man, you ain't a-kiddin' :wootdnc:

A satisfied 98" customer!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you do a lot of riding, I would change to gears. I had a tensioner disintegrate and plug an oil passage, resulting in damage to the engine. Out in the middle of nowhere to Sturgis last year, I was left sitting ont he side of the road with an oil bath on the back of the bike.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Here is the tensioners after disassembly. The inner tensioner was not as worn as the outer. But it was time for the outer to be changed because it was 70% worn.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
LongRide said:
Here is the tensioners after disassembly. The inner tensioner was not as worn as the outer. But it was time for the outer to be changed because it was 70% worn.
So did you just install new tensioners or do a gear drive?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
timbo said:
So did you just install new tensioners or do a gear drive?
Well, haven't decided yet. I have another post on the forum about what I found when I tore the cams out. I found the bike had SE-211 cams, adjustable push rods, and SE roller lifters in it. Trying to figure if it has a 95" kit in it. I will probably go with the gear drive system when all is said and done.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
timbo said:
The question I had to ask myself when my tensioners went down at 20k was how long am I gonna keep this bike? Answer was a long time. It's an 04' Ultra and I plan on keeping it more than a few years. I ride an average of 20k a year. So just like a plummer that hates to finish his shift only to go home to find he has to fix his own pipes, I ain't pullin the cam cover every year and possibly replacing tensioners. Yeah, they're cheap, 60 bucks. But I'd much rather be spending my time riding than wrenching on my own bike. So the 600 bucks I spent in parts to convert it to gear drive was worth it to me. Set it, forget it and worry about something else like a burned up stator, voltage regulator or breaking a belt. Seriously though, a tensioner going bad can do alot more damage than the other three things I mentioned. As a matter of fact, those nice hard little orange bits of plastic did a nice job of scoring the soft aluminum of my oil pump. Had to replace that too while I was in there.

Believe you me, everyone has their own opinion on this tensioner deal here.

HD recommends that you also replace the chains if the tensioner pads are worn more than 50% and/or cracked. (Service Manual, Sec. 3, Engine) I don't know how much the chains cost but that would be a consideration.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Picture this -

It's a hot, muggy Saturday night in Southern Missouri. Your inner cam chain tensioner disintegrated just a few hours ago and took the oil pump with it. You were lucky enough to get Delbert's towing to take you, your bike and your wife to the closest town and the Sleep Easy Motel just off the interstate for only $150. The room is stifling hot because the air conditioner is broken, the door is open to do anything to cool things down.

The closest Harley dealer is over 100 miles away and Delbert agreed to haul you both there on Monday for 'another hunnert fitty'.

Just then an extra-greasy guy with a severely wandering right eye pokes his head in the doorway and says 'That's a damn purty motor-sickle you got there mister'. As his chameleon eyes pan over to your wife seated on the bed he adds 'and your wife is even purtier'. 'Have a nice evenin' folks'.

Your wife's head spins two quick 360's and when it stops her eyes look like glowing coals from the fires of hell. She emits a low, gutteral grunt followed by a raspy, roaring 'I told you to get the gear drive cams you sonofabitch!'

Sunday should be a real good day...

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Picture this -

It's a hot, muggy Saturday night in Southern Missouri. You are riding a long straight deserted stretch of road. A bright blue light appears above the road ahead of you. A beam of light shines on you and you feel yourself leaving your bike and flying through the air. you dream that you are laying in a hospital while a bald guy with big eyes anally probes you. you snap out of your dream to find yourself still riding your bike.

Suddenly, ahead in the road is a hitch hiker. As you pull up, you see a beautiful blonde with a big bag of weed. She ask you if you have plans for the next week. For some strange reason the rise in your pants brings a sharp pain to your ass. You wonder why but still,

Sunday should be a real good day...

Fantasy writing is fun

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mr. Todd Stitzer: CEO Cadbury Chocolate Co.

Beginning at birth, America’s youth learns one joy of life more so than any other. The bliss they come to expect annually does not come from Santa. Nor does it come from the omnipresent Tooth Fairy.

This aforementioned joy of life comes from none other than your company’s own Cadbury Bunny, who must continue to roam the untamed earth, clucking like a chicken. This clucking is most likely a curse that a certain monotheistic religion has placed upon your defenseless fluffy bunny for stealing the holiest of days away from them; however, this is a topic for another day. The children of our society have been taught by their elder generations, that happiness is the center of a Cadbury Cream Egg. I am positive that you know this all too well, being that you are the C.E.O. of the company responsible for all things happy.

I realize that it may not be necessary to reveal myself as a life-long customer, incidentally, but I will do so in the upcoming and anticipated sentence. I am a life-long customer. I look forward, every year, to the new adventures of your bunny, and I find myself bewildered by the new, unclucking-bunny company that she chooses to keep. When I see her, and her fellow associate bunnies on the television, I rush to the store and buy one of her many eggs.

As I rushed to PriceChopper this year (a local grocery store that I frequent), I found myself being one of the first to get your product. I had conquered the anticipated Cadbury Egg rush of 2005. I felt like Charlie, from the Willie Wonka flick, opening my candy, almost expecting a golden ticket to be suffocating my recently acquired egg; naturally, there was no golden ticket. Nevertheless, I was ecstatic about devouring my egg, partly because I like chocolate, but even more so, because I wanted the creamy middle.

I dove into my egg, much like a squirrel would partake of an acorn three times bigger than its mouth. My moment of gratification was then quickly defunct. Mr. Stitzer, for the love of God, my egg was hollow! I thought to myself, “How could this be?” I looked, dumbfounded to the third-shift cashier like a lost cow would look at an on-coming train. I received no sympathy as I held to her my hollowed egg. She just smiled and said, “That sucks.”

Mr. Stitzer, that does indeed suck. What have you done with my creamy center, my joy, my happiness? Will you bring justice to this monstrosity and make this life-long costumer happy once again? I am overwhelmed with sadness and I fear next Easter I may have to turn to the Mephistopheles of candy, Peeps.

I’m sure you have heard of them. They come in every color of the rainbow. They have a thin sugar shell that surrounds yet even more sugar. They are indeed the most evil of all candies. I have reason to believe that they may be partly responsible for the 1992 L.A. riots. However, I am sure that you had nothing to do with that.

Mr. Stetzer, I plead to you to repair my faith in your company. I am not asking for an entire egg to be returned to me. I am just asking for the creamy center.

I understand that this incident happened several months ago, but I can assure you that the scars continue to this very day.

Thanks for you anticipated assistance,

(I haven't received a reply from them as yet.)

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
A few more posts and we might encounter one with a little more romance. Fabio???

1 - 20 of 30 Posts