V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
HogMan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a lot of post, I have decided what cam I need for the performance I expect. I am going with the Andrews TW26A cams. Andrews website says they are bolt-in. Does this mean that their cams will work with my gears and bearings and everthing else involved? Is all I have to buy are the cams, adjustable pushrods (for time saving installation) and a gasket kit and simply swap them out? I have a new bike with less than 5000 miles on it and I don't see any reason to replace new parts.

Thanks!

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Need to replace the inner cam bearing also, not just the cam support plate bearings.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Not really a bolt in, you gotta do a bunch of other stuff. Bearing kit, pressing the old cams and bearings out, reinstalling new ones in camplate, you can do this using the "oven method". Inner bearings, need a puller/installer tool for that.You will also need torque wrenches and ball drive allens. Removing the rightside floorboard, dropping the exhaust system,there are little time saving tricks if you have done it before. Reinstalling the adjustable pushrods. You also might as well get a DFO to makeit run a tad richer. Go to Harley Hog's site, a goldmine of info there with complete pictorials.

·
HogMan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Antonio Pendejo said:
Not really a bolt in, you gotta do a bunch of other stuff. Bearing kit, pressing the old cams and bearings out, reinstalling new ones in camplate, you can do this using the "oven method". Inner bearings, need a puller/installer tool for that.You will also need torque wrenches and ball drive allens. Removing the rightside floorboard, dropping the exhaust system,there are little time saving tricks if you have done it before. Reinstalling the adjustable pushrods. You also might as well get a DFO to makeit run a tad richer. Go to Harley Hog's site, a goldmine of info there with complete pictorials.

Thanks for the info. I am familiar with the procedure, but I wasn't sure if I would used the same bearings and gears. The reason I am asking is I thought it might be cheaper to upgrade the cams with chain drive vrs. Gear drive but if everything has to be changed either way than I will go with gear drive.

·
OldFart
139 Posts
Cam swap

Do yourself a favor, and just go with gear drive from the beginning. What Andrews means by "bolt-in" is that this cam has the same base circle as stock, do you need not worry about valve springs, or clearancing in the cam compartment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts