V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a deal on a set of new Screamin' Eagle Performance Heads that I just couldn't pass up. I plan on putting them on an '05 fuel injected 88ci Road King. It is currently stock except for the Stage 1 flash and SE exhaust. According to the SE Catalog, the heads should raise my compression to 9.5:1. Which Andrews gear drive would be best with this setup, the 26G or 37G?

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
use a .030 head gasket and use the 37's...
you might as well do the 95" while you have the heads off, not much more money or time and totally worth it IMHO...

·
Ridin it like I stole it!
217 Posts
Another option is the woods TW-5G cam that was designed for those heads.
Bry

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
harleyhinzy said:
I would call Andrews and they will recommend what cam is best suited for your build and type of riding you do.
According to there website they know longer take those types of calls. They do have a chart though.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
bporcelli said:
Another option is the woods TW-5G cam that was designed for those heads.
Bry
That would get my vote !!!

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
harleyhinzy said:
I would call Andrews and they will recommend what cam is best suited for your build and type of riding you do.

Or you can email their tech line from their web site. This I know is still functional since last month I used it to get a recommended cam for my father in laws build.

FWIW...he has the SE heads, 95" flat top pistons in bored jugs, SE ignition and coil, Dakota Kid 42mm carb and V&H ProPipe...and they recommended the Andrews TW-31G or the TW-55G. He went with the 55 and seems to be very happy with it so far....I know I like the 55G in mine.

Where you from in MN, Harleyhinzy? I'm in Mankato.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
They take those calls...
Just call the tech line, pretty easy to get through there,

SHHHHHH

Ih Yeah! The woods 5g sounds like a fantastic idea!!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I'm running the SE Perf Heads with cast flat top 95" and a TW 31G , with the Cometic 0.30 it's a good setup . The 26 and 37 won't do well at the compression this has (10.2) this is a nice torquey set up , same lift as the 37G, S&S 510 or Woods TW6 .. IF you want to go with roller rockers the Woods TW5G is a great choice.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
FYI this is the flow rate for the SE heads in CFM

Lift Scale .100 .200 .300 .350 .400 .450 .500 .550 .600
Intake 69 128 184 206 220 229 230 230 226

Lift Scale .100 .200 .300 .350 .400 .450 .500 .550 .600
exhaust 50 104 139 154 164 170 175 179 180

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seahag said:
FWIW...he has the SE heads, 95" flat top pistons in bored jugs, SE ignition and coil, Dakota Kid 42mm carb and V&H ProPipe...and they recommended the Andrews TW-31G or the TW-55G. He went with the 55 and seems to be very happy with it so far....I know I like the 55G in mine.
Seahag,

When you installed your 55G's, did you have to remove any material from the bearing boss like the instruction sheet states may have to be done? Just curious.

Regards,
Ceannas

·
Registered
18 Posts
ceannas,

FWIW, I have installed the 55G cam in an 04 and 05 night train and did not have to remove any material....both had ample clearance. You will need adjustable pushrods though.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
ceannas said:
Seahag,

When you installed your 55G's, did you have to remove any material from the bearing boss like the instruction sheet states may have to be done? Just curious.

Regards,
Ceannas

No...plenty of room with a .550" lift cam. Wasn't even close really. I did have to do some grinding of the cam cover to clearance the primary gear drive though. Gave me a good excuse to buy a dremel tool set.:brows:

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Nidan is correct, but the TW5g will work. With the short duration the added lift after port stall will allow more cylinder fill.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts