V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed andrews adjustable push rods in my 02 EG. The instructions called for the adjustment to be 3 1/2-4 turns from 0 lash. I adjusted them to 3 1/2 turns but I am still getting some valve lash noise on the rear cylinder. My question is how far would it be safe to go past 4 turns (if any) to see if the valve noise will go away.

The inital adjustment took care of most of the noise in the rear cylinder, and I have no valve noise at all in the front.

Thanks for any help, Wayne

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
Assuming you adjusted them right, going past the recommended adjustment is not going to quiet them down. The adjustment of 3 1/2 turns is to set the cushion at .100". If you have a lifter that is still noisy, something else is wrong.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andrews adjustable push rods

Thanks for the reply Springer. I'm going to re-adjust them today and if that dosn't help I'll look at something else.
Wayne

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Without more info you may have a rod that is lightly touching the inside of the tube. This happens, more info would be helpful lifters, cam, lmr spring and so on. And I agree with spring once you get inthe 125 range you are there,

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Andrews push rods

I re-adjusted the push rods today. I still get a slight ticking after the engine gets fully warmed up. Using a mechanics' scope is sounds like it is coming from the rear
exhaust valve. Do you think any damage will occure if the noise don"t get any worse? The engine has a big bore kit but I don't know if the cam and lifters were changed or not.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
When the bike is warm and ticking, place you finger on the pushrod tubes, one at a time. If one of the pushrods is touching the pushrod tube, you will be able to feel it. Becareful, the tube will be hot.

If you have a cam in it, it is possible that the noise could related a more aggressive cam. Latus Motor Racing makes a spring for the oil bypass valve that might help. You can order it from Baisley, The part number is LMR-002. Do a search on Baisley spring and you will find ton of info on it.

What oil do you use?

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
We sell a bunch of the lmr springs but if you have a failing lifter not much else you can do but replace it. Now a good tip was made by springer check that out.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andrews adjustable pushrods

Thanks springer. I will try what you sugested. The oil I use is mobil 1 15/50 full syn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts