V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Liberal Slayer
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am considering two builds and need to make a decision quick. I have searched the forum and never have seen these two cams compared.

The build I am looking at is a "95 BB kit with head work/porting done by Dewey or someone like him (professional). I am not looking into a super high performance build, just a decent build with some decent numbers. I am not into racing or burning the tread off the rear tire.

I know the Tw-5g is advertised as bolt on for "95 BB kits with SE heads. It should be a good build. I also hear great things about the 37g, and it also seems to be the most popular gear drive cam on the forum.

I know that if I tell Dewey what cam I want to use, he will work the heads for it, but what cam should I get so I can tell the him? Can anyone provide pro's and con's between the two? I know they are both great cams and I probably wont go wrong with either if I choose the "95.

I just want to twist the throttle and go, not interestred in high revs.

HDWRENCH also has me seriously considering the "98 kit. The problem is trusting someone to install it. I have limited wrenching ability.

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
The TW-5G and TW37G only close 1 degree apart, so when doing the heads the compression should be set the same. The 5G requires high lift springs where as the 37G doesn't, but if you are getting Dewey to do a Pro-Street, you get high lift springs for either build anyway.

SEDeluxe is right, you need roller rockers for the 5G and don't for the 37G. You can get some Revperf ones from HDWrench for under $200.

They have similar curves, but the 5G will give you 10 more foot-lbs across the whole curve, peaking around 115ft-lbs.

Remember when you get over 100ft-lbs you need to think about your clutch and left crank bearing.

·
Liberal Slayer
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew about the clutch, but tell me about the left crank bearing.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Doing a gear drive kit here monday or so I need to locate some one local with a digital video camera. Any takers?? And no you can't help LOL

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
trackstar55 said:
I knew about the clutch, but tell me about the left crank bearing.
Changed from Timkens a couple years ago and a few members here w/ high HP builds have had the new style left crank bearing grenade spreading joy throughout theur high dollar engines.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
Doing a gear drive kit here monday or so I need to locate some one local with a digital video camera. Any takers?? And no you can't help LOL

Up to you, I have seen it done both ways, but IMO a website or a document (published to the web or even private) with good detailed digital photography works one hell of a lot better then the video for someone that is trying to do a build at home.

In fact I have even seen a professionally edited video (and this is very labor/time intensive) and it still can't touch the webpage with digital photo format.

·
Registered
293 Posts
trackstar;
Call up Dewey. He knows best. I have talked to him and will do same
build. Dewey heads and 37G. He told me he would sell the gear drive and cams for 500. his heads for 750 which includes return shipping.
Everyone on this site says he is top notch guy. Do it!!!!!
I am going with the SERT. don't really want a aftermarket plug in like PCIII
even tho alot use it and works well.:beer4u:

·
Liberal Slayer
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Red02FXST said:
trackstar;
Call up Dewey. He knows best. I have talked to him and will do same
build. Dewey heads and 37G. He told me he would sell the gear drive and cams for 500. his heads for 750 which includes return shipping.
Everyone on this site says he is top notch guy. Do it!!!!!
I am going with the SERT. don't really want a aftermarket plug in like PCIII
even tho alot use it and works well.:beer4u:

I spoke with Dewey and I decided to go with the 37g. Once I save enough cabbage, I will have to bump it up to a "98.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I agree with Hippo. Pics are better. You don't want to sit through all that video. I just want to look at pics step by step. How the the tool is set up. Lot of pics so can look at it when putting back together.

I now take pics every step of the way. Its handy when putting back together. For did the washer go here? Ect.

FYI-I got pics of front head coming off step step, and primary. Don't have steps back together though. Also rear tire coming off.

Harley Hog has an ecellent site, step by step.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
berserker said:
I agree with Hippo. Pics are better. You don't want to sit through all that video. I just want to look at pics step by step. How the the tool is set up. Lot of pics so can look at it when putting back together.

I now take pics every step of the way. Its handy when putting back together. For did the washer go here? Ect.

FYI-I got pics of front head coming off step step, and primary. Don't have steps back together though. Also rear tire coming off.

Harley Hog has an ecellent site, step by step.

If you don't mind and have the time would you post those pics. Maybe start new threads(one for top end and one for primary) and maybe they could be made stickys so they're always available. Of course I have no Idea how many pics you have so maybe I'm asking too much.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
trackstar55 said:
I am considering two builds and need to make a decision quick. I have searched the forum and never have seen these two cams compared.

The build I am looking at is a "95 BB kit with head work/porting done by Dewey or someone like him (professional). I am not looking into a super high performance build, just a decent build with some decent numbers. I am not into racing or burning the tread off the rear tire.

I know the Tw-5g is advertised as bolt on for "95 BB kits with SE heads. It should be a good build. I also hear great things about the 37g, and it also seems to be the most popular gear drive cam on the forum.

I know that if I tell Dewey what cam I want to use, he will work the heads for it, but what cam should I get so I can tell the him? Can anyone provide pro's and con's between the two? I know they are both great cams and I probably wont go wrong with either if I choose the "95.

I just want to twist the throttle and go, not interestred in high revs.

HDWRENCH also has me seriously considering the "98 kit. The problem is trusting someone to install it. I have limited wrenching ability.
What ever happen to this topic?

·
Banned
69 Posts
It looks like the TW5G

se-203 and tw37g all perform about the same. There is really not much difference.

They all have about the same cranking pressure of 185 psi. Their torque curves almost all overlay each other.

I think its because they all have about the same duration. The higher lift of the 5G doesnt seem to come into play but that could be dependent on the lift vs flow curve for the particular head. If the difference in flow between .51 lift and .575 lift is small they will all be the same. If there is a large difference in flow between these two lifts then the 5G will come out on top. But for most heads they will perform the same.

I think.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
dragforce said:
se-203 and tw37g all perform about the same. There is really not much difference.

They all have about the same cranking pressure of 185 psi. Their torque curves almost all overlay each other.

I think its because they all have about the same duration. The higher lift of the 5G doesnt seem to come into play but that could be dependent on the lift vs flow curve for the particular head. If the difference in flow between .51 lift and .575 lift is small they will all be the same. If there is a large difference in flow between these two lifts then the 5G will come out on top. But for most heads they will perform the same.

I think.
Nononono.
Look at actual dynos (not Harley parts book graphs). The 203 is nowhere near the 37G.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
So what about the differences between the 37G and the TW-5G? Will the TW-5G give you more torque than the 37G with like a SE head?

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
genoway said:
See message 3
You know I read that then forgot that I read it. :duh?:

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Hey Bill,

Either of those packages would work well for you. I rode with a local board member who had a Dewey/37 build and he couldn't say enough good things about it. His bike ran well.

If you pop for rollers and get another 10 ft lbs across the board - all the better.

Sounds like a "win-win."

GC

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
FXDRYDR said:
Hey Bill,

Either of those packages would work well for you. I rode with a local board member who had a Dewey/37 build and he couldn't say enough good things about it. His bike ran well.

If you pop for rollers and get another 10 ft lbs across the board - all the better.

Sounds like a "win-win."

GC
GC,

I'm leaning toward the TW-5G cams. Only thing is that the whole project will cost more money. New lifter, roller rocker arms, etc etc etc. Do like the RevPerformance lifter and rocker arms. Still trying to sort out the heads. Just saw some Dewey heads last week. Ports were all lumpy. Don't know if they were supposed to be like that.

Bill

·
Registered
780 Posts
You are talking about the ex. ports. I don't spend alot of time polishing those up anymore because it is a waste of time. Look inside the ex. port at 300 miles and tell me what you see ! Black soot ! Ask seahag ,he had branch heads {polished like chrome } and blew a head gasket at 300 miles and was sad because his polish was gone. You need to pay attention to the dyno's and they will be good !

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.