V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the assumption that the current 37G version has an intake closing of 42 deg, but the most recent catalog shows 38, which IMHO is a big difference. 42 deg closing however is listed in many posts and calculation charts and I remember a heated debate on older 37G featuring 38 deg. Anybody in the know could shed some light on the subject? I am planning on reusing a set of 37G in a new build, but with 4 deg difference in cam timing I may as well put this on hold until this clears up.

Thanks

·
Registered
460 Posts
ViennaHog said:
I was under the assumption that the current 37G version has an intake closing of 42 deg, but the most recent catalog shows 38, which IMHO is a big difference. 42 deg closing however is listed in many posts and calculation charts and I remember a heated debate on older 37G featuring 38 deg. Anybody in the know could shed some light on the subject? I am planning on reusing a set of 37G in a new build, but with 4 deg difference in cam timing I may as well put this on hold until this clears up.

Thanks
The only way to know if you have a 37G with 42 or 38 intake close is to measure it. Dpending on who you bought it form and if they do FIFO or LIFO warehouseing you could have either. Could have been shipped old stock or new stock if purchased in 2005 if that was first year for change.

Intake close wasn't the only thing changed. Intake opening, exhaust opening & close, and TDC lift changed too. I know the 05 Andrews hard copy catalog I have lists the revised specs, while earlier version (don't know year on it but expect it's 2003 has 42 intake close). Most of the supplier catalogs I have haven't picked up on the change yet. Still have old specs listed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
TURBO, do you know when they changed? A friend has one that he bought a couple years ago and we were wondering if it is the older version or the newer one.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
When I talked to Andrews about this, I was told that only a ver few were produced with the old specs. According to this guy only a couple of dozen were produced with the old specs. Now who knows if this guy knows what he's talking about??
I know that following the conversation, I just assumed I had the one with the newer spec.....

·
Registered
460 Posts
Toyman said:
TURBO, do you know when they changed? A friend has one that he bought a couple years ago and we were wondering if it is the older version or the newer one.
Toyman,

My guess the catalog I have with the 42 spec is from the 2003 Cincy V-Twin show. Didn't make the 04 show so I don't know if that was first year for the 38 intake spec but the 05 catalog has it at 38. I'm guessing 05.

adlerx

Andrews originaly released the chain drive version as a 37, then re-speced design the same year and change the listing to 37B. Hence the "B" instead of just the number. The Tech could be talking about that change.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The Andrews site has shown 38 intake close for several years...which is correct. The intake close changed from 42 on the tw37 to 38 on the tw37B which I think was 2001. I have heard that a few of the 37's may have gotten boxed as 37b's but that was back in 2001.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts