V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local HD Shop is recommending the Andrews 31 Gear Drive Cams over the 37G. The Service Advisor stated it works better in 95 CI touring bikes since the only difference between the 31 and 37 is the timing. He said there is less chance of pinging with the 31. Has anyone used the 31 and if so, does the timing change make a difference?

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Hoot said:
My local HD Shop is recommending the Andrews 31 Gear Drive Cams over the 37G. The Service Advisor stated it works better in 95 CI touring bikes since the only difference between the 31 and 37 is the timing. He said there is less chance of pinging with the 31. Has anyone used the 31 and if so, does the timing change make a difference?
I was just talking with HDWrench about this cam and the 98" build. He said, I believe, that it (31G) works best with a 10.5 to 1 compression while the 37G works best with a 9.7 to 1.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be running the SE Performance Heads which raise the Comp. Ratio to somewhere around 10:1 with the Cast flat top pistons. This must be why the dealer recommended the 31 over the 37.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
SEDELUXE05 said:
wk thats what the book says
There is a book? :dunno: That would make this simple if I could find a book.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't decided yet between the PCIII or the SERT. I'm leaning more towards the SERT.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
SEDELUXE05 said:
wk andrews web site you could order a catalog from them ?prty:
I should have thought of that. :duh?:

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Hoot said:
I haven't decided yet between the PCIII or the SERT. I'm leaning more towards the SERT.
Before you buy either of those check this out but do it quickly. It keeps your air fuel ratio at 13.7.

Hi Bill,
Thank you for the email. We can do that for you through the end of February
for $399.99 + free shipping in the continental US. Call us at 800-368-6217
for the special price. The part number is DS10200215. Be sure and let others
know on the forum that this price is good through February 28th 2006 (they extended the sale to March 3rd). Thank
you for choosing Direct Parts.
Sam

http://www.directparts.com/cgi-bin/dp.store/EN/Product/DS10200215

http://www.terrycomp.com/efi_cat.html

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I worked with HDWrench on my build, and went with a 31G , SE heads, cast flat tops. I''m going with cometic .040 heads gaskets, also have a Mik 42 and Dyna ign.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
My father in law has a SE head, 95" build. We emailed Andrews tech dept for a cam recommendation a couple months ago. We detailed his riding habits as well as a complete rundown of his build.

The recommended either the 31G or the 55G. He wanted the slightly higher lift cam (which is what I run) so went with the 55 and is very happy with the way it runs and sounds.

Funny thing is last year when I bought my 55G cam, they were listed in the book as being for 10.5 compression ratios (btw...andrews tech recommended the 55G to me last year also)....this year the book claims the 55 to be good for 9.8-10.2 CR.:huh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts