V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain something to me? I been looking and looking for 6 months now and don’t understand! How can a 22 year old Harley be worth more than 50% of a new one? Was looking at a ’80 Lowrider for $9500. A brand new ’03 Softtail Custom I was googling was ~15K. Apples and Oranges? Now this Lowrider was nothing special but did have the top end redone. If I went out and found a ’80 Cadillac Coupe Deville in “good” condition it would not cost 50% of a ‘03, not even a ¼ .
A car depreciate $2k the minute 'ya drive it off the lot.

Is this just part of the Harley culture or WTF.

Yeah I’m ***** and moaning ‘cus I can’t afford one RFN, but still would like some insight. I’m not talking fully customized and tricked, but even if I was you never get back what you put in.

Thanks
Steve in IL

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
...sounds like the dude subscribe to the "a sucker is born......." rule, make it minute day or week for that matter. Its really worth what the next guy will pay.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
at least you can rest a little easier knowing that your not going to lose your a$$ on a harley should you decide to upgrade or (god forbid) sell it. :)
Keep looking. I've seen some early 1980's big twins for 5 to 7 grand.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's not that a Harley "Appreciates" in as much as it doesn't depreciate... And then some models as we know become more appealing, desired... which controls market value... We... or many of us Harley owners more often then not.... buy something as "Gotta Have" stuff regardless of the price. And this sets a price and people will price things for whatever other people will pay.... The whole point behind the ebay thing.. if you want it bad enough, you'll pay the sellers price or outpay someone who will

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
That's why I say buy brand new if your going to pay brand new price for a used HD. It may not be fully customized or tricked out, but nobody has racked those miles but YOU. Plus you get the chance to trick it out yourself and be satisfied. It is up to you.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Anything is worth exactly what some sucker is willing to pay fer it. Keep looking, tons of deals to be found. But think very hard about how much cash you have on hand to finish it. Put it on paper and best guess cost. Might be a hell of a lot easier and almost the same cash when yer done if you put what you have down on a new ride so you can ride instead of wrench....and wrench....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Part of the issue here is what is it? and how many were made? A shovelhead in pristine condition will bring top dollar, kind of like a first generation camaro. Remember- there will be more 03's built this year than shovelheads ever made. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Motorcycle demand and value is very important aspects to be aware of when looking for a used HD. Believe it or not, STOCK Machines hold therir value and appreciate just like a 63 Corvette has ( Not to mention a 64 Jaguar XKE 2+2 Convertable GULP!) a 1980 SHOVEL most likely in pristine condition with all stock parts, decals, seat and mufflers is most lilkely worth around 5-7K now but the same machine 15 years down the road will be worth more becasue of the rarity of a machine lasting that long unmolested, henceforth the avid collecter will pay BIG bucks for this type of bike, but if it has been modified it really isn't worth anything.
There is the grand daddy of all auctions held in Las Vegas every January where over 400 vintage motorcycles are auctioned off. Would you believe in the last few auctions 1968- 1970 Triumph Bonnevilles have gone for 12-18k 1966 Sportster for 16k 1977 Sportster cafe 15k
1968 Honda 750 5k and on. The point being these machines if kept up and taken care of can be profitable.
99% of all motorcycles will never last that long. Customizing / personalizing is paramount to the owner need to express themselves, and slowly over time the bikes get trashed , smashed or left alone.

Old bikes also have history in them, a machine from another time and culture from todays modern riders, whom most only ride and do little wrenching,

Sorry to say you will need a second job for the HD of your dreams no matter what year it is. ( Or buy a lottery ticket) Joke!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.