V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading a few tales of woe from folks who've had their bikes stolen, I'm thinking about installing a ground anchor in a couple of locations where I regularly park my bike.

What is involved in installing one of these things? I assume you have to pickaxe or jackhammer a hole in the concrete to set these in the ground, and then fill in the gaps with cement when you're done. Anything else I should know? And is it likely that the folks at my local coffee shop will complain when the crew arrives to put one in their parking lot?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
VRodDrew said:
After reading a few tales of woe from folks who've had their bikes stolen, I'm thinking about installing a ground anchor in a couple of locations where I regularly park my bike.

What is involved in installing one of these things?
I think these kits generally use a concrete anchor or two, which is usually installed by drilling the correct size hole (3/8", 1/2", etc) in the concrete and inserting the anchor, then tightening it down. The anchors are covered by a top plate in the ones I have seen. NO jack hammers required !

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
Slim pickins said:
I don't think anyone wants yer V-Rod.
I know it's tempting, but c'mon guys...let's not turn this into a thread about Slim's obvious V-rod envy!

:D

·
Registered
228 Posts
Drew, I work with concrete. All you will need is a impact drill with a masonary drill bit to make a hole.

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
A anchor instalation? Just get/have good insurance :p ;) :) What you going to do when some one just cuts the chain or what ever you have holding it down. Just put some Fugly chick out there untill you come out, the bike will be ok :D

·
Banned
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Insurance?

I've been on the receiving end of insurance company's largesse - and rare indeed is the person who feels that they came out ahead in an insurance settlement. No matter what sort of coverage you have, from whatever insurance company you choose - you are always better off NOT having to make a claim in the first place (unless you can't make the payments on your bank note...)

For me, I take a "multi-layer" approach to protecting my ride:

1) Don't park it in stupid places - alleyways and other spots where thieves can work on it unseen. Park it right out front of the restaurant or tavern, where folks are walking in and out all the time. It makes the guy with the bolt cutters in his hand come up with creative excuses..

2) Always, always lock both the ignition and the fork lock.

3) If you've got it, always engage the alarm. And if you've got the alarm - get the siren too. Not much point in disabling the engine if the swine are going to push the bike onto a trailer.

4) If you are going to be parking for a long period (overnight at motels, etc.) take and use a top quality chain and lock. The "Fuggehdaboutit" chain from Kryptonite is a good choice - although the darn thing weighs a ton. Lock it to something tall, steel, and immovable - light posts are a good choice. Also, keep the chain high enough above the ground that the thieves can't use the ground to get leverage on it.

5) An inexpensive bike cover is a good idea too. DON'T get one that says "Harley-Davidson" on it - if they made one that said "cheap, nasty, busted down POS" I'd buy that.

6) For shorter stays a disc lock is easier to carry with you. I recently got a neon-plastic tab that goes on my bike key to remind me to remove the disc lock before riding off.

7) When eating at nicer restaurants, stopping at Gentlemen's Clubs, etc. I make a point of greeting and tipping the door staff BEFORE I go into the place. A buck or two and a kind word means I've got someone who'll keep an eye on my ride while I'm inside.

8) Many locations these days have video surveillance on the parking lots. Look for the cameras and park in areas where your bike can easily be seen by them. If the worst happens, at least you can give the cops some idea of who the bad guys might be - and maybe even enough to run a license plate. Mall security offices will almost always cooperate with legitimate requests for copies of their tapes.

9) You'd be suprised at how many bikes get stolen right out of people's own garages - hence my request for info on ground anchors. Keep your garage door down unless you are actually IN the garage. Use the newer "rolling code" automatic door openers. When you go away on vacation disable the automatic opener and use the mortise lock on the door.

10) Many folks (me included) store their bikes over the winter months. Don't do it on the cheap - i.e. an elderly neighbor's unused garage, your cousin's barn at his vacation cottage. Bad things happen in unattended spots. Take your ride to a place that stores lots of bikes, has temperature controls, fire and theft alarms, and people going in and out all the time to keep an eye on things. Many dealers have storage programs - its in their best interest to keep bikes safe.

I really consider my theft coverage to be last resort. Even with replacement value coverage you'll still be out of pocket if you want to get a brand new bike, even if its just the cost of the deductible. Plus there may be waiting lists to contend with. And I've got a lot of accessories and extras installed on my bike - and I don't feel like doing all that work over again.

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Very good points you posted :cool:
On the number 5 thing, just get a cover that says "Goldwing" on it, you will never have to worry then :eek: :p :D I will do a lot of what you posted, in hopes of not being a victim.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Make sure you always have yer shitt in aiming distance. Works fer me. Not sure if I'm just lucky or what but I leave shitt on my ride all the time and have NEVER had ANYTHING lifted. FL NH all kinds of main and not so main events. I have no bags or anything, just strap the shitt to the bars or back. Leather jackets, stuff I purchased, and everything else I carry. I do have the stock alarm without the noise maker. I use a beeper so they don't see it coming.;)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
VRodDrew said:

What is involved in installing one of these things? I assume you have to pickaxe or jackhammer a hole in the concrete to set these in the ground, and then fill in the gaps with cement when you're done. Anything else I should know? And is it likely that the folks at my local coffee shop will complain when the crew arrives to put one in their parking lot?
I installed one on the roof of my parking garage here at work, and YES it does give me some "Piece of Mind"!!!:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts