1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been back on a Harley now for going on two weeks. In that time
I found a coupke of amusing things that happened.I waved to a dude
on an 1800 Wing ,But, no return wave.Next, I passed a group of
Harleys and no one waved ! I'm getting a complex !!
Seriously, Its the person on the bike ,not whats under him.I still
like *** bikes,But, think I'll stick to the H-D .Also, I noticed how
much stuff there is for Harley riders ,clothes,buckles, boots, with Harley
logos on them.
I think the *** manufactures should get there act together in that
department.
Well, just an observation after a long time away from H-D.
Ride Safe
masher

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think the waving is better and worse depending on which part of the country your in. I don't think it has anything to do with what the person is riding. Here in the midwest it is unusual to not have someone wave.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Surprised

I'm surprised the GoldWing rider didn't wave. :confused:
And why two Harley riders wouldn't wave at another rider on a Harley, I haven't a clue.

We've had a number of discussions about "waving". I for one try to "wave" at every bike I pass. Bottom line: don't worry about whether people wave back, just enjoy your bike.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Some guys don't see you, some only wave with the fingers and it's hard to see, some are afraid to take their hands off the handlebars. I wave to everyone and make it very noticable(almost like a left turn, arm out straight)and ride close to the center of the road. Almost everyone waves or nods their head!! Don't give up, the wave is alive!! :D :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
I always wave at other riders no matter what
they are riding. :cool:
As far as the accessories goes, I think that
the metric bike manufactures are just taking
us for granted. Figure we'll come in and
buy no matter what they do.
Not a good thing. Harley has them beat
there hands down.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eagleman I agree with you 100 %.I think no other company has
made such good use of their name & logo.I always said that when
you have a bald eagle for a logo how can you go wrong. I can say
that I really like my Ultra-Classic and probably won't trade back anytime
soon.
Ride Safe
masher

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have to admit that H/D does a great job in marketing it image. This alone sells bikes. But sometimes I wonder when I walk into my local Harley dealer if I going into a motorcycle dealer or a department store where the bike has taken second seat to clothing and furniture. Go into a Honda dealer and there is no question why you are there.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good Point !

That is very true Pas22 the Harley dealer has turned into a clothing/motorcycle shop.Of course the Honda dealer has little
clothing to choose from.A t-shirt,hat and thats about it. But, i
believe the reason for the "Harley-Mart" stores is because H-D is
a lifestyle.Since coming back to H-D I've been asked to join my local
HOG chapter and I found the Harley people in general to be
more friendly than some honda folks I've run into.
I've noticed on the other MC forums the metric folks seem to bash
H-D alot and go to great lenghts to convince why their Metric bike is better.
But, like I've said many times in the past,ride what makes you happy.For
me that is my Harley.
BTW> I like your signature statement
Ride Safe
Masher:cool:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Your right, Honda has little to offer for clothing etc compared to Harley. Its an area they need to improove on.

Right again. Bashing (H/D) is commonplace on the Honda forum I formerly frequented. Guess thats one reason I'm here now, that and my V-Rod!

Pete

·
Registered
116 Posts
PAS22 said:
Your right, Honda has little to offer for clothing etc compared to Harley. Its an area they need to improove on.

Right again. Bashing (H/D) is commonplace on the Honda forum I formerly frequented. Guess thats one reason I'm here now, that and my V-Rod!

Pete
Rode an ACE 1100 for two years and in that time I collected two shirts related to my bike/brand. That is all I found. I can't tell you how many Harley shirts I have 'cause I can't count that far and I am afraid the wife might look over my shoulder!

Ditto on the Harley bashing on a Honda site (hondashadow.net). I still drop in there whereas I have made friends with some of the folks and met them face to face. But I loathe the rants that go on from people who don't know crap about Harleys. The one that always gets me is the dweeb who says "well my friend has a Harley and it is junk ... " etc. etc. They can't even make comment in the first hand kind of experience. I think most of them are lieing about either having a friend with a junk Harely, or about the Harley being junk, or are not telling the whole truth and that it was a friend from back in the AMF days of crapola!.

·
Registered
127 Posts
"Sorry you don't like my bike. I didn't buy it for you."

PAS22 I like your signature statement! That says it all for me. I get so tired of
people ranting on about what somebody else
rides like they actually put out the money to
buy their bike! Ride what you like and stay
out of other peoples business!
Keep the shiny side up.

:cool:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Have to admit that I "borrowed" the sig line from someone else who also stole it from someone else. Guess I'll have to come up with an original!

Most of the Harley bashing seems to be price related. My 2001 1100 Honda Shadow orginally cost $7300 new. Thats less than half the price of my V-Rod, but the V-Rod really is more than twice the bike. Some riders don't understand that you get what you pay for.

I was leary about buying a Harley at first because I became acquainted with biking back in the AMF days, when Harley was the brunt of every bad joke imaginable. But after living with the V-Rod for about 6 months now I am confident that HD's quality level has improved to the level of Honda, etc.

Pete

·
Registered
515 Posts
I must admit I don't always wave. There are some days I come upon motorcyclists every couple of minutes. I get out there to ride, not wave to everyone. So if I don't wave, don't take it personally. However, I do wave as much as I can. As far as Harley-Davidson quality. In my opinion they have made tremendous inprovements over the years, that they are equal if not better than anyone out there.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another point

I may have smelled to many diesel fumes,but, I actually believe that most
people respect you more when your riding a Harley.I know it has been said a couple hundred times on this forum, But, Harleys have a soul
pure & simple.
as Forrest Gump might say"Thats all I have to say about that"
Ride safe
Masher

·
Registered
236 Posts
Rodney doesn't ride a Harley...and ya know what he always says...
"I don't get no respect!"

and I still ride my 1978 Suzuki GS750E. 24 years old now and
it won't go away! But the Harley is more fun!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fun

I too agree ,Riding my Ultra is much more fun than my Wing was.The Wing was a good bike,But, I was bored with it.Besides,nothing sounds as good as a H-D!
Happy New year!
masher

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ditto! My V-Rod is gobs more fun than the Shadow. Even though they both have the same size engine and weight, the Shadow seems, and is, top heavy which can make it a handfull in city driving. The V-Rod's lower center of gravity gives the illusion of a much lighter bike and allows for a more aggressive riding style. Having an additional 50HP also makes things more entertaining!

Pete

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
When I'm on my HD(s) I'll wave at anyone on two wheels with the exception of the liquor sickles. If I get the opportunity that goes for any good looking women along the way!!! I'm not partial, I love them all, women that is!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wave at everyone. Hardly anyone would wave at me on my Wing....I did notice last yr the further from Sturgis I was the more Hogs would wave at me and the closer to Sturgis the more ignored me. Even the tatooed "biker" trailering his Hog in his leather vest in his tough-guy minivan! LOL!!
I think many metric guys want Harleys but can't/won't make the financial commitment to HD and rather than admit this they run HD down to make themselves feel better. I had Road Star for two years and their bulletin board was always having some type of thread RT this line of commentary. Know any metric guys with HD decals on their back windows of their truck/cars? I do. Know any metric guys who take their bike's logo off to make people more confused as to what brand it is? I do. Know any metric guys who like their specific bike because people "think its a Harley" ? I do. That said I like and enjoy bikes of all type and all motorcyclists. We are all crazy and should learn to enjoy the others who love this experience. My only real bias is against bikes on trailers(a bikers rides, a yuppie tows). If its running it should be on the road unless there is a really good reason(you're mangled up or something). OK, I've vented now..LOL!
John

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
A couple of observations!!!

When I ride a friends Wing very few bikers initiate any type of wave or gesture with the exception of other wingers and a handful of BMW riders.

When I am riding another friends 1600 Yamaha, I find most that other bikers will wave or at least nod. Must be something about that V-Twin styling.

In the area where I live, HD and other V-Twin riders offer an inconspicuous gesture by extending their left arm at an angle pointed toward the ground. Seems to get the message across with very little effort.

Additionally, I find very few, if any wingers participate in any type of biker activities offered in the area. The number of wings that arrive for the annual toy run that generally consist of approximately 1500+ bikes is less than 20. Also, it is quite apparent during our rallies, charities, poker runs etc; wingers traditionally, find other things to occupy their time.

I paid a visit to the gl1800 forum, Jesus, what is with these guys? At every opportunity they charged head long into posts that lambaste any poor soul that elects to ride something other than one of their beloved spaceships, especially HD riders. I have ridden HD's allot of years, don't recall ever contributing to the demise of any winger. I'm not exactly sure what their real problem is!!! Maybe someone could offer me a little insight so that I will quit tripping over my shoe strings!!!!!!!

I personally don't care what the crap anyone elects to ride, (JUST RIDE), and while you are at it (ATTEMPT TO PUT YOUR BEST FOOT FORWARD TO PROMOTED THE IMAGE OF THE MOTORCYCLIST). If you should suddenly have a brain fart and feel that you don't need to wave fine, you can even look the other way if you like, won't interrupt my enjoyment one little bitty bit!!!!!!!! Just be careful and don't run into a lightpole!!!!

Who knows one day you may have a mechanical problem or worst and find yourself scratching your rear for an answer when no one stops to help or even offers a "WAVE" as they continue on their merry way!!!!!

Ride safe and wave, even if it hurts a little you'll get over it!!!!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts