V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MEXICO CITY, Mexico (CNN) -- A truck carrying more than 25 tons of dynamite exploded Monday in northern Mexico, killing at least 23 people and injuring more than 140, a government spokesman said.

Of the 140 injured, 30 suffered critical wounds and five were listed in extremely critical condition, said David Aguisn, spokesman for Humberto Moreira, the governor of the state of Coahuila.

Notimex, Mexico's official news agency, reported at least 30 people were killed in the blast at a factory near Monclova -- about 125 miles (200 kilometers) northwest of Monterrey.

Don't Miss
CNN/Money: Pemex reports pipeline explosion
Three Mexican reporters were among those killed, according to Notimex.

From what I understand the truck did not have PLACARDS identifying the Explosive hazard.

I tried to call the congressional switchboard today

1st call Busy

2nd call no answer

3rd no answer

Video footage showed the burned-out, mangled shell of the truck and nearby cars damaged by the blast.

Aguisn said that there is no indication of foul play. The cause of the explosion is under investigation.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Don't we have regulations in USA to keep from that amount of explosives from being hauled around at one time? Looks like Mexico doesn't care.

I'm really worried about the beaner truckers coming across our borders.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Didn't last long >>

Someone in Washington has some brains. =)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate voted on Tuesday to block funding for a Bush administration test program to let Mexican long-haul trucks operate in the United States under 1994's North American Free Trade Agreement.

One day after a fiery truck accident killed dozens in Mexico, the Senate approved an amendment to a transportation spending bill that would cut off funding for the test, which the administration authorized last week to last for one year.

The House of Representatives has passed a similar measure.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
aMaverick said:
Someone in Washington has some brains. =)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate voted on Tuesday to block funding for a Bush administration test program to let Mexican long-haul trucks operate in the United States under 1994's North American Free Trade Agreement.

One day after a fiery truck accident killed dozens in Mexico, the Senate approved an amendment to a transportation spending bill that would cut off funding for the test, which the administration authorized last week to last for one year.

The House of Representatives has passed a similar measure.
But the sad part is it took something like this for them to wake up. This truck could have been loaded, driven across the border with no placards and wrong(or fake) bill of lading and been in downtown Houston, Dallas, you-name-it and gone off.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
reguations

Unome said:
Don't we have regulations in USA to keep from that amount of explosives from being hauled around at one time? Looks like Mexico doesn't care.
QUOTE]

Hazmat regulation do exist across the US. However I've never seen any that would limit the amount that were on that truck from being transported across the US. Just look at the number of triple tankers going down the highway with three 5,000 gallon tanks of gasoline. Do you have any idea of the explosive potential of gasoline? .

As for the placard doing anything to protect the public: mostly BS to make you feel good. I use to haul gas and diesel, 5,000 gallons a load, to a local station. After completing all the paperwork and getting an endorsement on my drivers license I felt it was all total BS. WOW I passes a written test on hauling HAZMAT. It raised the haulage by 3 cents a gallon becasue gasoline was now hazardous under the new DOT requlation but I never saw any of that 3 cents it all went to the company.

How many incidents have we heard of in say just this past year where some train load of tank cars went off the track? I doubt the placard on the side of the tank did anyone any good at the cars went strewing down the embankments alongside the tracks. Americans have a real ability into allowing themselves to believe that some licence or permit is the answer to protecting everyone from everything. And every time we enact more of these special regulation some agency gets to charge a fee and some company makes a few more dollars for hauling these dangerous goods. Do you know that you can not ship an automotive battery without it being considered HAZMAT. And of course shipping a battery cost more becasue of the special handling.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Im a Hazmat truck driver. I used to work for a local welding supply company. And now work for the government. I saw a truck full of poison gas cylinders run right off the road and roll 6 times. The load being thrown all over the place and cylinders leaking everywhere. This was one of my coworkers that was eating breakfast while trying to drive. He came up on a bad traffic jam and turned into the emergency lane only to see that traffic had filled that lane as well. He took the truck off the road and down a 200' embankment. Hazmat crews closed the road for the rest of the day cleaning up that mess but nobody was hurt. He still drives for the same company after 3 days off and a piss test. I guess they figured that he took the truck off the road so he wouldn't hurt anyone else so they kept him employed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
There goes more votes

Well the Republicans have tried to screw yet another group of hard working Americans...........

Go Hillary!{salute(

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Mexico Sends 1st Long-Haul Trucks to US
By LISA J. ADAMS – 2 days ago

MEXICO CITY (AP) — Two Mexican tractor-trailers have delivered payloads in New York and South Carolina, becoming the first trucks to operate deep in the United States under a long-delayed, NAFTA-mandated program criticized on both sides of the border.

The trucks, operated by Transportes Olympic, a company based outside the northern Mexican city of Monterrey, crossed into the United States carrying steel construction materials and will haul similar products from Arkansas and Alabama back across the border, Mexican Transportation Secretary Luis Tellez said Sunday.

Since 1982, Mexican trucks have been allowed to operate in the United States only within a 25-mile zone along the border, where they transfer loads to U.S. vehicles for transport elsewhere in the country.

Unrestricted access was supposed to begin in 1995, but the Clinton administration refused to open the border to Mexican trucks out of concern that they might be unsafe. A NAFTA arbitration panel overruled the U.S. in 2001, but lawsuits and lengthy negotiations with the Mexican government led to even more delays.
On Thursday, the U.S. Transportation Department granted permission to Transportes Olympic to haul cargo anywhere in the United States as part of the North American Free Trade Agreement. In turn, Mexico granted authority to Stagecoach Cartage & Distribution Inc. of El Paso, Texas, to travel throughout Mexico.

"On Friday, Sept. 7, the first two Mexican cargo trucks crossed the border with the United States," Tellez told a news conference.

The U.S. plans to give as many as 25 Mexican firms permission to haul cargo north of the border by the end of the month, and will add another 25 per month until reaching 100 — for a total of 1,000 trucks — by year's end under a one-year pilot program. The Mexican government also has committed to allow trucks from as many as 100 U.S. firms to travel anywhere in Mexico.

The International Brotherhood of Teamsters, environmentalist group the Sierra Club and watchdog organization Public Citizen sued to stop it, saying Mexican trucks do not meet U.S. safety and environmental standards and that there would not be enough oversight of drivers crossing the border. A federal appeals court ruled last week that the Bush administration could move ahead with the program.

Dozens of truckers protested at border crossings in Texas and California on Thursday, some carrying signs reading "NAFTA Kills" and "Unsafe Mexican Trucks."

In Mexico, representatives of the national trucking association have argued that most Mexican companies are not ready for cross-border long-haul trips because the government has failed to help them modernize and take other necessary steps to qualify for the program.

U.S. and Mexican officials say the program is a necessary part of NAFTA and that trucks enrolled in the program would meet U.S. regulations.

"This project will allow us to demonstrate in practice that door-to-door cargo shipments without intermediaries at the border will lower costs ... and increase our country's competitiveness," Tellez said.

U.S. Ambassador to Mexico Tony Garza estimated that letting trucks travel freely throughout both countries would save more than $400 million annually in transportation costs.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
airman said:
Well the Republicans have tried to screw yet another group of hard working Americans...........

Go Hillary!{salute(
The Democrats (and some Republicans) just saved our trucking industry and possibly my life, your life and the lives of others...just another way the Bush administration was gonna give away America...I wanna hear all the conservatives edit and NeoCons that were yellin' about this a short while ago jump in and defend Bush on this one!!!

Quotes:

"This is about safety," said Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., a leading critic of the program. "We don't have equivalent standards between this country and Mexico. "

Opposing the Senate action, Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, said, "This is not about safety. ... It's apparently about protectionism. ... It's fear of free trade." Guess he's not sure?

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
04GLIDE said:
Bush is not a conservative.
I made no reference to his conservatism...his supporters did until recently include conservatives but in order to overgeneralize as I did I should have included "NeoCons"...I edited the above post. :D

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
I made no reference to his conservatism...his supporters did until recently include conservatives but in order to overgeneralize as I did I should have included "NeoCons"...I edited the above post. :D
What's a "NeoCon"? :hmmm:

·
Opinions Vary
161 Posts
drop the neo

he is more a "con"

to victimize: deprive of by deceit; "He swindled me out of my inheritance"; "She defrauded the customers who trusted her"; "the cashier gypped me when he gave me too little change"

·
Banned
4,609 Posts
Cop_Stanger said:
I was more interested in what he thought was a "NeoCon".
I know and maybe I spoiled it....sorry. That word gets thrown around so much made me wonder if anyone really knew. I am sure some did as there are some smart guys here..................figure that one out fer yerselves.

·
Registered
886 Posts

It is issues such as this why I do not support the Republican party, nor any party for that matter.
As with the immigration issue, we all need to email our congress and senate representatives.
Mexico does not have a transportation safety board in their government. It, the mexican government, being a currupt barrel of worms, its members would be 'on the take' to someone if they did.
As we have seen with the number of U.S. citizens killed & injuried by drunk illegal aliens, I have no doubt that if mexican truckers were allowed on U.S. highways, we would see worst carnage with just one accident.
This is just a bad idea. :thumbsdn:

·
Registered
5,460 Posts

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Cop_Stanger said:
Simplistic as any other online test but I guessed I'd be categorized as a conservative and that's what it said I was.

What about you? :unsure:
I'm neither a liberal or a conservative...you might call me a conservative Democrat or a liberal Republican but you'd probably be wrong...I'm middle of the road...there are values that I share with both sides, I like to think of my approach is the common sense approach, at least in the middle represented equaly by both sides we can find some balance. (quite unlike what we have now) I think that if we all sit down together and find a happy place in the middle we can all work towards throwing out the "old guard" and replace it with representatives that reflect the real wishes of "we the people"...the majority of our populace come down somewhere near the middle.

Just a couple of examples...I support the second amendment but believe we need some form of gun control...I believe we need to protect our interests in the Middle East but not based on a lie nor making this another 25 year war...I believe we are trashing our environment but the Earth is a sturdy planet and if we make reasonable efforts to clean it up it/we will last at least a few more millenia, all while creating a new source of jobs, taxes and economic windfall...I am against amnesty for illegals or offering support for those making no contribution to our society but believe we need to drastically overhaul our immigration system, (Microsoft uses 30,000 guest workers because we don't have enough or well enough educated folks to fill their ranks) our country was founded by, defined by and enriched by it's immigrants. I believe that our government is a runaway train, both sides of the isle are to blame...from all appearances we are being lead down a path (global mind you) that we may not like the destination of...big brother exists!!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts