V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
In disguise
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be moving to Amsterdam over the summer. Anybody got any experience with motorcycling over there? Do I want to take my nice HD or leave it here in storage and get something over there? Any info about the whole riding world over there will be welcome. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Depends how long you are going for. Personally, I would ship the bike over sine there is nothing like having your own wheels to ride. My dad was born there, I wasn't but would like to return one day.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The longest trip you can ride in the Netherlands (from N to S ) is 220 miles. With 10 dealers service is never far away. HOG-Chapters are active , riding season starts April, ends October because they spray a lot of salt when it freezes. This year we had an early start because of the exceptional warm weather, although it still freezes at ground level. If you stay 2 riding seasons and than return to the USA you could sell the H-D here at the price you bought it back then. Due to import taxes and transport the H-D cost 64 % more, for example the SG = 20399 $, here 24300 € = 33544 $ !
One trip you have to make is Faak-am-See, Austria, the European Bike Week, riding through the Alps, Europe's nicest scenery.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/119735344884026/, enjoy the pictures.

·
In disguise
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ultraplusrotax: Thanks for the info. I don't "do" Facebook. Any chance for another way to look at whatever pics you have?

Had no idea of the huge difference in cost of purchasing a bike there versus here. Thanks for the eye-opener. Puts a whole new light on the thought of buying a bike over there, as well as shipping mine over. When you talk about getting your money back at re-sale, do you mean that prices rise so fast that you can sell your used bike that you bought in the Netherlands two years from new for the same that you paid for it (in the Netherlands)? Demand so great?

I also keep reading that you don't want to own a car in Amsterdam unless you really need to. What about the environment for riding? Better in the countryside?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts