V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what is the difference between the 20W50 Motorcycle Oil & the 20W50 V-Twin Oil.

I have a few quarts of the AMSOIL 20W50 V-Twin oil & want to know if it can be used in crankcase, primary & tranny?

Shawn

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Spend some time reading the threads in this forum and you'll fiind you answer.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
msscull said:
I was wondering what is the difference between the 20W50 Motorcycle Oil & the 20W50 V-Twin Oil.

I have a few quarts of the AMSOIL 20W50 V-Twin oil & want to know if it can be used in crankcase, primary & tranny?

Shawn
The difference is the 20w 50 motorcycle oil was Amsoil's original version and the V-twin oil is the latest formulation that came out last April. We still have both types and they can be used in any 4 stroke motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
msscull said:
George,

Can the 20W50 V-Twin be used in the tranny & primary?
Yes Amsoil recommends it in all 3 holes just like Harley does and I have used it in my road king for the last couple of years in all 3 holes.

·
Registered
249 Posts
george douglas said:
The difference is the 20w 50 motorcycle oil was Amsoil's original version and the V-twin oil is the latest formulation that came out last April. We still have both types and they can be used in any 4 stroke motorcycles.
OK, I'm sort of confused? The oil I got from George a year or so ago was labeled 20-50 V-Twin oil. The oil I just got in Oct. was labeled " 20-50 motorcycle oil" specially for primary, trans, and chain lube. No mention of v-twin. Sounds the reverse of what you say above? Should I keep these two oils separate? I used the latest in the primary and trans and the "v-twin" for the chain so I did keep separate on this change.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
simjue said:
OK, I'm sort of confused? The oil I got from George a year or so ago was labeled 20-50 V-Twin oil. The oil I just got in Oct. was labeled " 20-50 motorcycle oil" specially for primary, trans, and chain lube. No mention of v-twin. Sounds the reverse of what you say above? Should I keep these two oils separate? I used the latest in the primary and trans and the "v-twin" for the chain so I did keep separate on this change.
You got me confused now. Look at the stock number on the back. It will read either MCV or AMV. In either case they both are recommended for all 3 holes. It isn't recommended to mix them, but they are compatible so if you did it shouldn't hurt anything. Hope this helps. If it doesn't give me a call and I can check your records to see what you bought on each order.

·
Registered
249 Posts
george douglas said:
You got me confused now. Look at the stock number on the back. It will read either MCV or AMV. In either case they both are recommended for all 3 holes. It isn't recommended to mix them, but they are compatible so if you did it shouldn't hurt anything. Hope this helps. If it doesn't give me a call and I can check your records to see what you bought on each order.
The case which contained the 12 qts of v-twin labeled oil was AMV. The case containing the recent shipment labeled MCV contained the qts labeled synthetic motorcycle oil. I did not mix them, in various holes, but wonder if the new shipment is the "new oil'" or "older oil" Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
simjue said:
The case which contained the 12 qts of v-twin labeled oil was AMV. The case containing the recent shipment labeled MCV contained the qts labeled synthetic motorcycle oil. I did not mix them, in various holes, but wonder if the new shipment is the "new oil'" or "older oil" Thanks.
MCV is the newest version and the one with the best rust protection package in the industry. Amsoil discovered some new additive technology rust inhibitors while making new marine grade products that don't compromise the antiwear chemistry. Rust inhibitors that are used by other oil companies can not be used, so to speak, at full strength due to competing with the antiwear properties in the oil and weakening them so oil companies have had to compromise in this area. This new additive chemistry will find it's way in all of Amsoil's oils as each type of oil is reformulated to meet the newest API spec changes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Amsoil goin in......

Putting 20-50 MCV in my 2006 XL1200C tomorrow, engine and chain case.
Stand by for impressions, although riding season is endangered here as our temps drop to the Winter zones.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Amsoil 20-50 MCV IN

All: 2006 XL1200 C

20-50 MCV in the bike now, and logged about 60 miles today after install.
Please understand that these are seat of the pants impressions. I'm not a mechanic. 20-50 MCV in engine and chain case. Also, note my bike is new, with only 650 miles on it. Although, I had already changed oil to Castrol 20-50 for the past 200 miles or so.

Bike seems to idle more smoothly, and rev a little more freely. Really. Maybe smoother too at running speeds. My mirrors actually don't shake as much.
Shifting seems more positive, easier, and clutch actuation seems a little easier. Engagement to first gear seems smoother. No trouble finding neutral, but I didn't b4 either. But, it's smoother now. Yes, it still "clunks", but this doesn't bother me, and I don't see any reason to run Mollasses just to provide a sound barrier to reduce the perceived clunking. Shifting though, up and down, is smoother, and perceived as "lighter".
Sounds: The engine "may" sound a little different, particularly at idle. I hear a bit of "wirring" sound that I didn't pick up before. It seems to be the primary chain. However, I also adjusted / tightened my primary chain during oil change, and this may have influenced this. IMO, this sound is not offensive, and reminds a bit of how my old KZ1000J used to sound. If anything, it may make it easier to hear something going wrong down the road as I pile on miles. Perhaps it's not the chain at all. In any case, it's not at all like what some others have reported, to me at least, not a negative. Not a bad sound by any means, and when running at speed, it's gone.
For me, these changes are all positive. I intend to keep running the stuff, and was a fan of syn oil before, although I've never run Amsoil.
Used forum sponsor George Douglas for supply. Very prompt service, very good pricing.
Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
81 Posts
Intersesting read on Amsoils Opening Web page!

I just seen this and found it very interesting! It is located on Amsoils Opening page! Some will claim that Amsoil information is 1 sided! Well, I think this speaks for itself!
Very cool, check it out! I think it covers, just about all the issues dealing with motor oil and what makes them work better then others!

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

·
Registered
453 Posts
ahill said:
I just seen this and found it very interesting! It is located on Amsoils Opening page! Some will claim that Amsoil information is 1 sided! Well, I think this speaks for itself!
Very cool, check it out! I think it covers, just about all the issues dealing with motor oil and what makes them work better then others!

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf
That is a good read, thanks for posting the link.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
FYI,
You need to take a look at this link concerning motorcycle oils if you have an interest in that area. Amsoil really out did themselves on this material. It almost reads like the motorcycle oil bible would if there was such a document. You will see that Amsoil does not come out first in all categories, but over all they are the clear leader. It goes into some great education concernig what the test are about and how they are conducted. Critics can say that the info is biased, but they just don't get it. Amsoil had to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to have all this conducted and put in a readable text. Why doesn't other company's do this? You guessed it, they are mostly selling a comodity with no real bragging points.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

George Douglas
Amsoil Distributor
1-800-887-6698
www.oilhelp.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts