V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all this is not an oil debate, Been there done that.

Once my new flhtcui gets here, and after the 500 mile break in period, I plan on putting in amsoil 20w 50 vtwin motor oil, The question I have is how long(miles) between oil changes can I go. And how often should I change the filter useing this oil?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If you change it at 500, I would change it again at 2500 and 5000, and then every 5000. Change filter when you change oil and use HD filters.

This is if you put some serious mileage on the bike.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Would It be ok to change the trans and primary to syn. at that time? (500) And what would you recommend?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Hoss, I went through the first oil change with regular Harley oil (500 mi) to let the engine break in and after 2500 miles I started with the synthetic and now use the Amsoil synthetic exclusively. At the first service I had the dealer put the synthetic Harley transmission fluid in. After you start with the synthetic oil don't switch back to non-synthetic oil since I've read that that could dry out gaskets and cause the engine to leak oil after systhetic is used again. You could go longer than recommended on the oil changes because the oil will not break down as non-synth does but its when the oil gets dirty you want to change it. You can change it a little later than whats in the manual but I wouldn't. I generaly go by the suggested oil change intervals just to be safe. After 7500 miles I still have no oil leaks and feel better with it in there.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
This will probably sound stupid but what the Hell?

I have 45k on my Y2KFLHRCI. I have run the standard Harley Oils since I got the bike.

Is there any problem switching over to the RED LINE synthetics after 45K?

The Mag plugs have always looked real good and all in all it is a good bike.

Thanks

·
Registered
629 Posts
JimmyK said:
This will probably sound stupid but what the Hell?

I have 45k on my Y2KFLHRCI. I have run the standard Harley Oils since I got the bike.

Is there any problem switching over to the RED LINE synthetics after 45K?

The Mag plugs have always looked real good and all in all it is a good bike.

Thanks
I hear that question a lot actually, this is my answer:

If you leak now, your going to leak more. If you are worried about starting to leak, you might just start. Other then that, your good.:D I would make the first oil change a short one in case a lot of crap breaks loose and clogs the filter. Won't be a problem.

I changed my truck over at around 110,000 miles. They have a reputation of leaking, now she marks her spot:D

·
Registered
903 Posts
Sidewalk is absolutely right, I changed my car over (6 cyl Chevy) when I first discovered synthetic oils, it had 88k miles on it. She leaked until I had the gaskets changed. It now has 232k on it - still running strong. I've heard people switching to synthetics without any problems though. A little leaking is well worth the benefits if you ask me.:)

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Sidewalk said:
I hear that question a lot actually, this is my answer:

If you leak now, your going to leak more. If you are worried about starting to leak, you might just start. Other then that, your good.:D I would make the first oil change a short one in case a lot of crap breaks loose and clogs the filter. Won't be a problem.

I changed my truck over at around 110,000 miles. They have a reputation of leaking, now she marks her spot:D

Thanks! Also to you HarleyJoel.

Ok, I will change over to Red Line in the two cases and leave the HD oil in the engine. I'll run the scoot for 1000 mi and change the case oils again. If I am happy with the results then I will do all three at the 50k.

The bike does not leak a drop now and I do not anticipate that it will. If it comes up, I'll deal with it.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
629 Posts
HarleyJoel said:
A little leaking is well worth the benefits if you ask me.:)
I agree 100%:cool: That is why everything I own has it in every part that can use it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I know you didn't ask me specifically but I would say yes, change the primary and the transmission lubricants at least every 5000 miles. Once again, I recommend the synthetic stuff. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pardon me for being a little off topic but

I had the opportunity to visit a garage at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway yesterday during practice. I got to talking with the driver and mechanics. They use Mobil 1 synthetic in the race cars. I'm not promoting Mobil 1 (I use Amsoil in all my machines) but they didn't even consider using dinosaur oil. By the way those engines are turning around 10,600 RPMs. Very impressive stuff. Anyway the point is that synthetics are great.

two cents from your old uncle Holden

·
Registered
903 Posts
Funny thing is, right after I got my FLHTCUI, two out of three Harley dealers in my area didn't recommend using synthetic oil after I asked for it. Hmmmmm. Do you think its because they don't make a HD synthetic? I wonder....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I picked up my new ultra classic on Friday.
I told them that I prefered to do my own service and stated that I was going to put amsoil oil in after the first 500 miles. My dealer really advised against it and recommend ONLY Harley oil, but could not really give me a good reason not too change.

Oh yeah, What a machine....I have 150 miles on since Friday evening, even though its only been a high of 50 degrees .However I did notice the front breaks rubbing(squealing) and when I apply light pressure on the front breaks it goes away. Is this normal untill things break in a bit? or should I take it to the dealer for inspection.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You pretty much bought the brake noises when you bought the bike. They are likely to go away for the most part, depending on the climate.

The high pitched squeal at the end of a stop always seems to come back as long as you use OEM pads around here. For some strange reason they don't do it as much in colder or more humid climates. No big deal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello all, this is my first post here, so I will try to be brief.

I just picked up my new pearl white flhrci wednesday. So far have 240 miles logged. The 55 mph sure is tough...

My dealer said that the amsoil was too slippery on the skirting and tended not to hang long enough for proper heat dissapation. Something about the 'slung' oil needing to hang on the piston skirting to aid in the heat transferral. Also gave the standard statement about wearing flat spots on the bearings due to the non tacky feature of synthetics.

They also said there were some 'problems' with the synthetics disolving the bonding agents on the stock HD clutch packs.

My question to you all here is how long have you been using the synthetics (how many miles logged) and have you noticed any changes?

I have been using the dual bypass system on my truck for over 50K and love it! I just want to be sure on my bike.

Ron

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Well, I don't know the first thing about Amsoil, but I have run synthetics for over 20 years, including in a 99 RoadKing that had the bad cam bearings and it ran like a clock for over 50K miles.

My issue with Amsoil is the pyramid marketing scheme more then anything else, as I have a profound dislike for snake oil salesmen, the product itself might well be as good as any.

Lately I have been running the Mobil1 car oil 15W50, but they recently changed the formulation, so running the V-Twin 20W50 might be the safe bet until it is fully known what the new formulation does.

I would under no circumstances extend the drain interval with these cheap synthetics.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts