V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

At the present time I'm using H-D oil for my 1985 FLHTC.

I came across a guy who swears about the great performance he's getting in his engine & easy tranny shifting by using; AMSOIL.

He put in his tranny: AMSOIL WEIGHT 80-90
And in his engine: AMSOIL WEIGHT 10w40

What do you guys think about all this. Is AMSOIL a better oil for my Harley being that its a classic and would that SYTHETIC screw-up my engine & tranny ?

I'll wait before I consider buying it.
P.S. What stores carry AMSOIL Tranny & Engine Oil in Nevada ?

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
Well, if you are thinking about oils, your bike must be running by now!!!
Use Amsoil 75/90 Severe Gear lube in the tranny.
Use an ATF (automatic transmission fluid) Type F, in the primary.
AND>> if you had a twin cam motor I would recommend Amsoil Synthetic 20/50 for the engine................BUT>> I tried it in my EVO motor, like you have, and I had close to zero oil pressure. When I put standard petroleum oil back in (HD oil), the pressure came right back. I do use the Amsoil in all my other bikes with twin cam motors, but recommend a dino oil for evo's.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Somewhat CONFUSED ~What else Is New . . .

Hey DR_DEUCE :)

THANKS -2-U- DOC & the other GREAT GUYS on this forum my '85 FLHTC is running :clap:

Now about my 71 yr. ol' confusing.

DOC I don't know if I should put Amsoil 75/90 Severe Gear in my transmission :confused: or even Synthetic in my engine :confused:

I'm concerned about oil pressure, but than again I NOT HAVE AN OIL PRESSURE GAUGE on my bike !

Right now I just want to change my tranny oil. Should I go with the 75/90 SEVERE GEAR ?
DOC what makes this 75/90 is good in your experience ?

I'll tell you this; when I shift its kinda hard to get into gears. I'm not SLAMMING to put her into gear;but I can hear her going into gear.

Would using 75/89 Severe HELP :confused:

Due to the holidays and gift buying and wrapping & hiding 'em from my wife ~ I just can't get the darn time to test ride her. I just put in
rear brake fluid in the rear. Front is O.K.

I only had her (my bike...lol) out for 10 miles. The carburetor is running to me a little HIGH. ABOUT 1800 rev in neuteral
What should the revs be in neutural after she running awhile :confused:

·
Ride Free
1,000 Posts
Make sure you push the choke back in after it's warmed up. If it's back in and still revving high; you need to adjust your idle speed for when it's warm. Sometimes a hose and a star wheel on the end attached to the idle speed screw is needed to fine tune the idle speed on the fly. The joys of running the older stuff. :)

I would do a mix of Valvoline 20w50w dino motorcycle oil available at Walmart these days and mix it with Valvoline 20w50w synthetic motorcycle oil available at Auto Zone. Or you could just buy the Harley brand Syn 3 which is pretty much the same thing. A synthetic blend. You could run both in the primary and engine. For the Trans, well, there will be a bunch of opinions on that too, Red Line Shock Proof is my personal favorite. That's available online.

Good luck either way. I think most folks are pretty much tired of talking about oil on the various forums because there is no one consensus and it has been talked to death.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Amsoil is as good as it gets as an oil or lube I leave it there.
You have a different situation your older ride is not as tight an modern ones .
IMO on that bike you would be better off sticking with the standard lubes.
Man it is an 85 still burning up miles don't change what your using.
If you buy a new one then order up some Amsoil if you like.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
have you had other harleys?

The HD transmissions do "clunk" when being put in gear, not like some of the overseas bikes.

Sure, give Amsoil (or another good synthetic tranny oil) a try in your tranny. Your engine will be fine on the regular oil it has been running with.

rkc

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
Schooner, the idle should rest around 900-1000, choke off.
The tranny has gears in it, so a gear lube is best,. HD sells dino lube, and the SYN3, which is partially synthetic and partially petroleum.....but what % of each is unknown.
HD sells the SYN3 which can be used in all 3 holes, but it is not the best choice for ANY HD application.

The Amsoil SEVERE GEAR LUBE 75/90 is very high quality fully synthetic, so for a few dollars more it is a good bet. I run this lube 20k miles, and it comes out pretty clean. You'll need 1 qt. There is a site sponsor here, George Douglas, he can have it there in 2 days.

·
Banned
6,663 Posts
I have run the 20/50 in all the cases, and currently run the severe gear in the tranny, and the Amsoil atf in the primary. I cannot tell the difference from the two. After I change these oils out, I'll be going back to the 20/50 in all cases.

My buddy runs Amsoil 20/50 in his CVO with no problems whatsoever.

The Harley Syn 3 is crap along with their other oils. JMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Hey Guys

At the present time I'm using H-D oil for my 1985 FLHTC.

I came across a guy who swears about the great performance he's getting in his engine & easy tranny shifting by using; AMSOIL.

He put in his tranny: AMSOIL WEIGHT 80-90
And in his engine: AMSOIL WEIGHT 10w40

What do you guys think about all this. Is AMSOIL a better oil for my Harley being that its a classic and would that SYTHETIC screw-up my engine & tranny ?

I'll wait before I consider buying it.
P.S. What stores carry AMSOIL Tranny & Engine Oil in Nevada ?

If you do decide to purchase the Amsoil please let me know as I can get you the best prices possible and you can pick it up our Las Vegas warehouse with no shipping charges. You will also get a 6 month trial membership from me that gives you dealer prices.
george

1 - 10 of 10 Posts